Official "Once Higgins comes back" Thread

Athlétique.Canadien

didnt ryder flip to LW at times last year to play with kovalev? I cant remember how/if that worked out.

Maybe it was the other way around... but I dont even recall Ryder playing on the same line as Kovalev.

BTW, just ran a quick check-up on stats, and since Higgins has been injured and Lats promoted to 1st line (12 games); Ryder is 2 g - 3 a - 5 pts, Lats 4 g - 5 a - 9 pts and Koivu 5 g - 6 a - 11 pts. With Higgins, Koivu was 3-9-12 in 13 games and Ryder 4-4-8 in 13 games too. So Koivu didn't seem to slow down at all without Higgins; and Ryder slowed down a little but was already on a 4 games pointless streak before Higgins was out.

So taking Higgins off the 1st and putting with the Russians could hardly do any damage I believe.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, checked it out - ryder played 11 minutes on the left wing with kovalev in game 44 of the 2005-06 season (2-3 loss to calgary). Dont know how my false memory of more LW time got in my head.

Edited by simonus

so do you guys really think Higgins is going to be back next week? Last week he was on the tony marinaro show and i dont think he'll be back soon...maybe late december...n e body ear news?

Next week, for one of the 3 games.

I really wish that Carbo doesn't play him on PK for a while, that is the most demanding effort for the ankle to constantly turn around to cut passes.

A good way to bring him back would be alike Dandenault give him 4th line duties for 2-3 games to get back in game shape.

After that PP time and last thing PK.

I know he scored three goals in PK and stuff but the ankle is a long term pain even when it's healed.

Well, if I was Carbo/Gainey, I know what I'd do: once Higgins is back playing, I'd immediately get Kovalev to go get his knee fixed so he's back at 100% and fresh for the stretch run/playoffs. He's just not the same player since that knee on knee hit he got some weeks ago. We need Kovalev at 100% to make a run deep into the playoffs.

We'll get by without Kovy for 6 weeks... we did so when Higgins was out and we'll do it again.

I do not think that Kovalev knee is such a back shape, trainers and medical staff would never let him play with an injury that needs surgery.

I am pretty sure he has a bruise knee that need to be rested. And thats what he is doing actually resting it while playing.

It is possible that Kovalev would be helped by surgery but is postponing it until the off-season. It is also quite possible that if he had surgery right now, he would be done for the season. I am not particularly enthused at the idea of Kovalev getting surgery midseason and coming back rusty for the postseason.

if things dont get better ( and better as in more than 1 pt per game for the second line) not counting PP then I really want to see koivu between the two russians... and then have Lats (LW/RW), Ryder(RW), Higgins(LW/C) and Plek(ALL) fight it off for the second line... who ever sucks the most gets tossed down to the 4th. and then get re-assessed during practice and game performance.

restating my opinion... it's gonna happen just you wait!

Kovalev and Samsonov have proved since 28 games that there is no chemistry between them. Koivu is no wizard and does not deserve to play with heartless players.

True that Kovalev can replace Ryder and Higgins take back is place from Latendresse.

Sammy can't play with Plex or Kovy. He is too much like Plex (small speedy who likes to carry the puck) and too much like Kovy (puck-hogling until finds the perfect play).

Plex looked good when playing with Begin and Kovy on some late 3rd shifts. Makes me believe that Sammy's the one dragging the line down and that a different LW could make it work. Maybe Higgins - Plex - Kovalev.

Samsonov would benefit from having guys that plays a more straight-away game, that get open and shoot the puck. A guy like Lats, Higgins or Ryder.

Latendresse - Koivu - Kovalev

Samsonov - Higgins - Ryder

Perezhogin - Bonk - Johnson

Begin - Plekanec - Downey

I like those lines, but I do really like Streit on that 4th line. He really brings some creativity to it. He and Downey could platoon depending on whether we need a goon that particular night or not.

Murray? Salut Salaud....

Begin-Plekanec-Streit... that line could pop a few goals, I betcha.

Those sound like decent line ups. But i don't know how well the first unit would work, and shifting Higgins to C after he hasn't played there in years hardly seems practical.

Yeah, maybe ease Higgins in the lineup at LW for his first few games, then make him practice at C and see how it goes.

Though I dont think Higgins would have much trouble make the transition to C, not because he played there before but because he already plays with C qualities: backchecks alot, has a good vision and awareness, etc.

I think its worth a shot. We really need to have a 2nd line that produces on a regular basis. But Carbo is lucky, because with Higgins back he'll have plenty of versatility to shuffle the lines...

Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev

Latendresse - Plekanec - Ryder

Samsonov - Begin - whoever...

Samsonov - Koivu - Ryder

Higgins - Plekanec - Kovalev

Whoever - Begin - Latendresse

Higgins - Koivu - Latendresse

Samsonov - Kovalev - Ryder

Begin - Plekanec - Whoever

Ryder - Koivu - Kovalev

Samsonov - Higgins - Latendresse

Begin - Plekanec - Whoever

etc, etc, etc.

Streit may become strictly a winger/point man on the power play very soon. He fore checks very hard and has above par vision, it also appears he is really finding his game on the power play, he just needs to gain a little more confidence in his shot.

Higgins will see a few different looks when he comes back, as for Kovy getting surgery I doubt that happens but would not be surprised if once in a while he received a game off during hectic weeks.

I too hope we can keep Streit on the 4th line/PP point, in lieu of Downey. If we need someone to fight, we can always get Rivet, Komi or Souray to step up, and Streit can cover them on D. I also think that Streit has good vision, and a heck of a shot... not something that you can really say about Downey, unfortunately.

I don't know if anyone else saw it, but in the Lats article in the Gazette the other day, Carbo said that even though Lats got all his points on the first line, it was a no-brainer that Higgins will be back on the first line when he gets back.

I wonder if Carbo will stick to this decision, or play around with Higgins centering the second line?

It's definitely in the air. Higgins was answering a question in the locker room on RDS tonight about what he'd think about playing C. He said as long as he's getting the ice time he feels he deserves (sounded very un-Higgins-like to me) and it helps the team, he'll play anywhere.

I think the second line deserves another couple of games, especially after their game against Boston. If that doesn't work, I want Kovalev with Koivu and Latendresse, and Higgins between Samsonov and Ryder. But realistically, Carbo feels comfortable moving Latendresse down to the 4th because he won't complain as much, so Koivu-Higgins-Ryder will be back together soon and then for a long time.

It's definitely in the air. Higgins was answering a question in the locker room on RDS tonight about what he'd think about playing C. He said as long as he's getting the ice time he feels he deserves (sounded very un-Higgins-like to me) and it helps the team, he'll play anywhere.

I think the second line deserves another couple of games, especially after their game against Boston. If that doesn't work, I want Kovalev with Koivu and Latendresse, and Higgins between Samsonov and Ryder. But realistically, Carbo feels comfortable moving Latendresse down to the 4th because he won't complain as much, so Koivu-Higgins-Ryder will be back together soon and then for a long time.

Yeah, I read the quote in the gazette this morning:

That would require Higgins to move to centre.

"I think it would be easier to stay on the wing, but I played centre until two years ago," Higgins said.

"It will take some minor adjustments, but if it helps the team and I get the amount of ice time I should, I'm OK with it."

Higgins said he's never missed more than two games in a row and the past 5 1/2 weeks have been frustrating.

"When I was 14, I had a skate run over my (left) wrist here," Higgins explained, displaying an old scar. "It was cut down to the bone, but I only missed two games."

I was surprised too, but I guess he's probably just sick and tired of not playing... he's never missed more than 2 games, and he probably wants to keep having success, and where he's had it is on the wing... we'll see anyway. I'm sure that, despite the comments, if Carbo chose to play him 10 games on the fourth line, he wouldn't say anything to the press.

word is that he'll be back on saturday against crosby & co. - so says carbonneau

GO :hlogo: GO!

yah once Higgins gets back up to speed you can't deny him the first line spot, and Lats has played so well there I dont think you can move him either. The only one that makes sense to me would be this lineup:

Latendresse - Koviu - Higgins

Begin - Plekanec - Downey/Murray

I know Kovy is not a true center but I think that gives us the best lines.

yah once Higgins gets back up to speed you can't deny him the first line spot, and Lats has played so well there I dont think you can move him either. The only one that makes sense to me would be this lineup:

Latendresse - Koviu - Higgins

Begin - Plekanec - Downey/Murray

I know Kovy is not a true center but I think that gives us the best lines.

Where's Lapierre??? After last night, tell me you're NOT sending him back down, please!!! Sit Downey or Murray and play Lapierre. Rotate, do something....

Of course, I also like Streit on the fourth line more than I like him on D. Man, we have too many good players; I've always liked Plex, but I look at the lineups, and I think that it would be better to have Lapierre and Streit getting 4th line time then Plex. Time to trade him? Maybe?

Where's Lapierre??? After last night, tell me you're NOT sending him back down, please!!! Sit Downey or Murray and play Lapierre. Rotate, do something....

Of course, I also like Streit on the fourth line more than I like him on D. Man, we have too many good players; I've always liked Plex, but I look at the lineups, and I think that it would be better to have Lapierre and Streit getting 4th line time then Plex. Time to trade him? Maybe?

Too much young talent -- nice problem to have! :P