Video Game Thread

Fanpuck33

These things look sick!!!!! I just saw the commercial for Call of Duty 3, the guy was playing the Wii. It looked sick nasty. I would to have one, but i think im gonna stick with trying to get a 360. :unsure:

I wonder that on the Wii if you could use the controller like a hockey stick :rolleyes:

Based on websites, there seem to be some still available down here, but I really don't want to buy a system that might turn out to be a total bust. Sure, it's half the price of the other systems, but it's still 250 bones. I'll probably wait till after the Christmas rush if I decide to get one, but before my birthday in January so I can hopefully milk a couple controllers as gifts.

Unlike the PS3, the Wii will have regular shipments of their consoles to the stores.

So if you missed out today, you can get one in a couple of weeks, maybe even as early as next week.

I hear the next PS3 shipment isn't happening until another month (or 3 weeks).

Anyway, this is for Canada stores. Should be the same for American stores.

The Nintendo Wii is a great system. But it's more like a toy and not a traditional console.

That's the whole point of the Wii... A cheaper alternative to higher powered systems, but at the same time a system that is possibly revolutionary.

These things look sick!!!!! I just saw the commercial for Call of Duty 3, the guy was playing the Wii. It looked sick nasty. I would to have one, but i think im gonna stick with trying to get a 360. :unsure:

I wonder that on the Wii if you could use the controller like a hockey stick :rolleyes:

That was my first thought. That would be great if EA would develop a hockey game for the Wii.

That's the whole point of the Wii... A cheaper alternative to higher powered systems, but at the same time a system that is possibly revolutionary.

That't true, but I place Wii in antoher category. I won't compete with Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360 as it so different.

And the price is so low that everyone should afford it if they like toys.

That't true, but I place Wii in antoher category. I won't compete with Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360 as it so different.

And the price is so low that everyone should afford it if they like toys.

You can't just take Nintendo out of the same category for gaming consoles because of the systems features. The PS3 launch was a bust and next shipments aren't expected until 2007. Some stores are expecting shipments for the Wii tomorrow and then again on the 26th. No one should have trouble getting the Wii before Christmas. Nintendo's consoles have always been cheaper then the competition, it's pointless to bring that up. Preliminary reports have Microsoft winning with Nintendo and Sony neck and neck for the 2nd spot.

Shu, you could definitely use the controller as a hockey stick if it's anything like how Wii Sports is played. I haven't actually played it much, I waited in line for 19 hours and was awake for 27 straight hours so I came home around quarter to 10, had a shower and then crashed until about an hour ago. But Wii Sports was quite possibly one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. It's stupid not to get a Wii, even I had my questions for the controller and I didn't find one freaking problem. It will depend on how the developers use the technology of course but that was the same question for the DS and it's doing amazingly well.

I guess I'll just add if anyone has any questions about it, ask away. I was 1st in line, was applauded by the line when I left and had a few people shake my hand for the dedication I showed. :lol:

Could I get exercise from Wii?

Seriously thinking about getting it.

Honestly? I built up a sweat playing Wii Sports for an hour, thats why I'm on the computer now. You really could get an exercise. When the Wii comes to an end, my arms will be HUGE. :lol:

You can't just take Nintendo out of the same category for gaming consoles because of the systems features.

Yes I can.

I love Wii but it I still think many will get either a Playstation 3 or a Xbox 360 and a Wii.

How do I know? Im a reseller of all the systems.

Yes I can.

I love Wii but it I still think many will get either a Playstation 3 or a Xbox 360 and a Wii.

How do I know? Im a reseller of all the systems.

Thats great but it's impossible to not put them in the same category. Nintendo helps build the gaming industry and now they're a toy because the graphics aren't as pretty? Give me a break, thats a slap in the face to franchises like Smash Bros, Zelda, Mario, Metroid. Now you're saying they're little play accesories. It still boggles my mind why graphics are peoples number one concern.

Current estimates and market share are my proof...http://nexgenwars.com/. Look at the % of people who think what company wins the upcoming generation.

So, the controller really works as well as they hyped it to work? What kind of batteries does it take? Does the nunchuka need batteries also? Hehe, I have so many questions.

1. It does, it works like a dream. As long as you don't mess with the sensor bar, it works really well. If possible, I reccomend it on top of the TV rather then the bottom.

2. Double A, it comes with batteries even if you buy a controller seperate.

3. Nope, it just plugs into the controller and feeds off of there. I remember reading it has 10-12 hours of battery life.

Ooh, and a couple more:

Can any SD memory card work or did they rig it so you have to buy their overpriced card? Did you get/play any other games yet?

ANY SD card will work, not just theirs. I bought Zelda and was going to buy Trauma Center: Second Opinion but Futureshop didn't have it. Haven't played Zelda yet, I'm taping Desperate Housewives for my dad since he's at a Grey Cup party tonight. Will start playing in about 40 minutes

what about us regular couch potato gamers, can we use the old game cube controller?

You can use it for the Virtual Console and like Fanpuck said, a few select games. Rumor is that Super Smash won't be compatible with the Wii controller at all which I think is a good idea. It'd be bizarre playing that with the Wii controller unless it's like Excite Truck and you just flip it on its side like an NES controller.

I remember reading it has 10-12 hours of battery life.

Hmm, I'd consider rechargeable batteries, but I'm not happy with the ones I have now. They discharge just sitting around, even when I don't use my camera for a few days.

Any SD card will work, not just theirs.

Excellent. Theirs are way overpriced.

You can use it for the Virtual Console and like Fanpuck said, a few select games. Rumor is that Super Smash won't be compatible with the Wii controller at all which I think is a good idea. It'd be bizarre playing that with the Wii controller unless it's like Excite Truck and you just flip it on its side like an NES controller.

I've read that too. I've been looking into getting four GC controller for when I get a Wii, along with GC versions of Smash, Mario Kart, and Super Mario Strikers. Any idea if offbrand controllers are any good? GameStop has 10 buck GC offbrands, which sounds like a good deal. However, I once got an offbrand PS2 controller, and it was crap.

Hmm, I'd consider rechargeable batteries, but I'm not happy with the ones I have now. They discharge just sitting around, even when I don't use my camera for a few days.

It seems like most people will be getting rechargable batteries for the controller. Sounds like you should get new ones though. :P

Excellent. Theirs are way overpriced.

I haven't seen any Nintendo SD cards, how much are they? I know Futureshop didn't have any, they had all their stuff on this little table as you walked in. And every employee was holding a Wii and kinda guided you around, asking what you wanted. Add that to being first and I felt like royalty. :lol:

I've read that too. I've been looking into getting four GC controller for when I get a Wii, along with GC versions of Smash, Mario Kart, and Super Mario Strikers. Any idea if offbrand controllers are any good? GameStop has 10 buck GC offbrands, which sounds like a good deal. However, I once got an offbrand PS2 controller, and it was crap.

Yeah, I'd really reccomend against third-party controllers for any system. Intec, Mad Katz all those brands. They always break down after a couple months. With the added technology, I'd REALLY stay away from third party stuff, just stick to Nintendo's controllers.

I have to do the same with GC games, I sold my GC in May and have been selling games ever since, now it's time to go get them back. If you like shooters, definitely pick up Metroid Prime, amazing game. I'll probably go to EB sometime and get a bunch of old, used GC games. 40 bucks, I bet I could get 5-6 games, Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 will be two of them.

I haven't seen any Nintendo SD cards, how much are they?

I saw them for $59.99 for a 1 GB card and $99.99 for a 2 GB card on the GameStop website.

Yeah, I'd really reccomend against third-party controllers for any system.

Yeah, that's my inclination also. I just dread having to spend 100 bucks for GC controllers, then another 180 bucks getting three more remotes and nunchukas for the Wii. Maybe I'll buy the Wii before Christmas and ask for 2 remotes and nunchukas or all four GC controllers.

Wow, thats a deal compared to regular ones sold at Futureshop. A 1 GB card is regularly 90 bucks.

Down here, a 1 GB card usually goes for about 60 bucks, but almost every week at least one store has rebates so you can get one for about 20 bucks.