Video Game Thread

Fanpuck33

Indeed, KOTOR was excellent and SWTOR is basically KOTOR 3 Online.

As for MMO's, I've always liked the concept, yet WoW got really annoying faster than I thought. The stupid thing was I started playing again before I realized the TOR was on beta! Epic fail! I understand MMO's can suck because it's just a money thing. Still going to play SW though.

I get really annoyed with this generation because of the subscriptions and paid DLC and all that crap. I admit, I'll buy the odd DLC (I think I got all of Mass Effect 2's when it was on sale in the summer) but I miss the days of buying the game and immediately having everything that game had to offer. You didn't have to pay for extra costumes or extra levels, it was all just there in the game you bought ready to go. Especially now that it's being proven that some of this DLC is stuff already on the disc that developers have just locked away.

In a lot of ways this generation has been awesome. But in other ways there are times where I wish I could go back in time to when I was 4 and had my Super Nintendo and my big grey Game Boy, lol

As for TOR, I'm sure it'll be great. I saw a some concept stuff at Bioware when I interviewed there a few years ago. It's also got the biggest budget of any game in history. But paid subscriptions kill me, it's why I never played WOW. Thankfully DCUO just went FTP so I play that all the time now.

Zelda used to be, not so much anymore.

Mass Effect yes but moreso the first. The second gets more action oriented.

That's kind of what I thought. I can handle RPG type stuff in small doses, but definitely prefer action/puzzle type stuff, i.e. figuring how to get through a level.

FIFA 12 finally arrived today after I ordered it well before my trade for Mass Effect was initiated on Goozex. Gonna take some getting used to, the defense is a lot different. No more spamming one button to do most of the work for you, haha. I was horrible at getting the ball back my first game.

Sad news today

http://wii.ign.com/a..._source=twitter

It worries me about what this means for Pikmin 3 =(

Oh and the Spike VGA's are on Saturday. The awards are awful but get ready for some big announcements. Last year's VGA's was the first we heard about Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Prototype 2, Insane (the Guillermo del Toro game) and the new SSX. Also the first we got to see of Uncharted 3 and an expanded look at Arkham City. Sony is already teasing a new exclusive called The Last of Us.

In a lot of ways this generation has been awesome. But in other ways there are times where I wish I could go back in time to when I was 4 and had my Super Nintendo and my big grey Game Boy, lol

Hehe yeah. I used to wake up on a Saturday morning super early to play Sonic 3 on our only TV before everyone else got up. Then my friend would come over at like 8am while everyone was still sleeping and we played NHL '94.

Kinda like today, I'm up super early, and going to play.... Lego Star Wars II.

I'm not liking the lack of offensive strategies in Fifa 12. Am I missing them somewhere? I can find defensive strategies and stuff for offense like aggressiveness and passing frequency, but nothing about gameplans. I like to have my wing midfielders fly down the field and send the ball out wide for crosses into the box. My guys just won't run up field.

Also, can you change pass assist settings anywhere? I couldn't find it and I'm already tired of guys passing to the wrong player or sending through balls in directions other than the one I am holding.

I was crazy sick yesterday so I didn't see any of the VGA stuff but these were the trailers that were shown.

(A DLC follow up to Alan Wake, it is not Alan Wake 2 though like most people thought)

(I'd completely forgotten there was a first one. It came out 11 years ago, lol)

(just the game for the movie)

(This game is confirmed to come from Naughty Dog, some people have already found a reference in Uncharted 3)

(Sequel to War for Cybertron which was a great game if you're a Transformers fan)

(just an update on the original Tony Hawk game. I wasted many hours on that game when it first came out)

And no one knows for sure but the next Batman game might have been announced when The Joker won the award for Best Character.

Possible Arkham City sequel?

I was crazy sick yesterday so I didn't see any of the VGA stuff but these were the trailers that were shown.

(A DLC follow up to Alan Wake, it is not Alan Wake 2 though like most people thought)

(I'd completely forgotten there was a first one. It came out 11 years ago, lol)

(just the game for the movie)

(This game is confirmed to come from Naughty Dog, some people have already found a reference in Uncharted 3)

(Sequel to War for Cybertron which was a great game if you're a Transformers fan)

(just an update on the original Tony Hawk game. I wasted many hours on that game when it first came out)

And no one knows for sure but the next Batman game might have been announced when The Joker won the award for Best Character.

Possible Arkham City sequel?

The Last of Us: Being made by Naughty Dog = it will be a masterpiece

Alan Wake's American Nightmare: I have yet to beat the first one, gotta get to it soon

Hitman: Absolution: Can't wait

Fortnite: WTF???

Mass Effect 3: Might actually convince me to give the series a second chance (never had enough time on my hands to play such a game)

Rainbow Six: Patriots; Looked pretty awesome

Spider-Man: Didin't look too bad

New Batman Title? wow that would be epic!!

Metal Gear Rising: The fact that they changed developpers -__- but still, it should be a good hack and slash game

I can't play this crap anymore. Fifa 12 is just terrible. It's like trying to play 1 on 11. Your team gives you absolutely no support. My wing midfielders just stand there waiting for the ball and have to be told to go on a run just to move up field. The midfield just chills out 15 yards in front of the box even when I'm in the box with the ball. Every challenge the computer makes is successful and my teammates don't do anything to go after loose balls, choosing just to stand there and watch. And the passing is just awful. You can't send a through ball at all where you want it to do. Even regular passes go to the wrong man way too often. I can get used to the new defense, even though I prefer a more arcade feel to a soccer game, but the offense is just too awful to keep playing.

Seriously, how do you make a soccer game where wing play is not an option?

Interesting news regarding Metal Gear Rising. Turns out the game was actually quietly cancelled by Kojima because, aside from the cutting dynamic, they couldn't figure out the rest of the game. Then some members from Platinum came in to visit, heard what happened, looked over what they already had and offered to finish up. Hence the re-title. Also it's apparently taking place after 4 instead of between 2 and 4 like originally planned.

I'm not too worried about this though, Platinum has worked on two of the best beat 'em ups this gen (MadWorld and Bayonetta) so this game is still in good hands.

Also a guy I know from another message board I go to who works for Wired wrote this doozy about the Spike VGA's. Great read.

An Open Letter To The Spike VGAs

Dear Spike VGA Producers,

I get it. You’ve got obligations. You have to appeal to a broad audience. Your references can’t be too niche or obscure. You have to keep people watching. You have to appease advertisers and wrangle exclusive deals out of game publishers. I don’t envy your jobs.

But after watching the 2011 Spike TV Video Game Awards this Saturday night, I can’t help but wish you’d try a little bit harder not to embarrass the people you’re trying to entertain.

It’s not hard to find the root of the problem here: You think we’re dumb. You think your audience is so stupid that they’ll be amused by YouTube rants and health potion gags. You think we get our jollies out of watching girls bite cupcakes off conveyor belts. You think videogame references make a good substitute for humor.

Worst of all, you couldn’t care less about what you’re showing us. You don’t care about the games or the people who made them. As Joystiq’s Justin McElroy pointed out on Twitter, “If they don’t give a shit about the awards, why on EARTH should we?”

When you dedicate minute-long segments to the likes of will.I.am and Kevin Jonas while breezing through 10+ award winners in a 20-second montage, it’s hard to believe you care about your videogame awards show. When you parade around more actors than game developers, it’s really hard to believe you care about your videogame awards show.

I can deal with the unfunny jokes. You want to make tired Alec Baldwin references or force host Zachary Levi to say things like “Your urine is magical,” OK. I don’t need to laugh.

But half of your show was dedicated to slapstick. When you weren’t showing game footage, you were shoving nonsensical gimmicks down our throats. You were putting the spotlight on D-list celebrities and YouTube stars. You were making fun of “social gamers” for being anti-social. You were keeping a cow backstage so you could reference FarmVille.

You had a grown man in a military outfit pretend to put his balls in a Call of Duty developer’s mouth because he took too long on stage.

So maybe you don’t care about quality. Maybe you want to stop by, show your exclusive trailers, earn some ad bucks, and then crawl out, leaving slime on the walls and bile in our throats. Maybe you just want to show five or six awards and spend the rest of the time filling space with as many cheap gags as possible.

Except you’ve proved that you can do things right. Your gorgeous, fluid Zelda montage was deftly presented and properly treated. Not only did you give us a lovely cameo by the venerable Shigeru Miyamoto, whose appearance can wrest a smile out of even the most jaded gamers, you showed him the respect that he deserves. You guys totally nailed it.

Then you had Charlie Sheen come out and ask where the chicks were.

Is this really how you see us? If you think gamers are tuning in to watch Charlie Sheen make lewd comments, you’re both completely naive about your audience and totally out-of-touch when it comes to celebrity relevance. The fact that Charlie Sheen was available to present at the Spike TV Video Game Awards should have probably tipped you off.

I am a male between the age of 18 and 30. I know many other males between the age of 18 and 30. We all fall into your key demographic. Trust me when I tell you that not a single one of us thinks it is funny or entertaining to watch Felicia Day slice fruit hurled by the cast of Workaholics. Not a single one.

Why can’t we see developers talk about the games they love? Why can’t we watch industry auteurs celebrate their craft? Why can’t we hear from people who are more interested in honoring videogames than resuscitating dead TV careers?

Here you were, Spike VGA producers, on national television, with the opportunity to show the world that the videogame industry is not solely composed of profane 16-year-olds and humorless manchildren. Here was your chance to demonstrate that videogames are culturally significant, artistically important, worthy of an awards show that lauds what gaming can do and what it can become.

Instead you just shoved your balls in our mouths.

http://jasonschreier.../11/spike-vgas/

Interesting news regarding Metal Gear Rising. Turns out the game was actually quietly cancelled by Kojima because, aside from the cutting dynamic, they couldn't figure out the rest of the game. Then some members from Platinum came in to visit, heard what happened, looked over what they already had and offered to finish up. Hence the re-title. Also it's apparently taking place after 4 instead of between 2 and 4 like originally planned.

I'm not too worried about this though, Platinum has worked on two of the best beat 'em ups this gen (MadWorld and Bayonetta) so this game is still in good hands.

Also a guy I know from another message board I go to who works for Wired wrote this doozy about the Spike VGA's. Great read.

http://jasonschreier.../11/spike-vgas/[/color][/font][/size]

That guy deserves a medal, everything he has said is 100% true...I watched the awards and aside from the trailers and Miyamoto, it was rly bad

That guy deserves a medal, everything he has said is 100% true...I watched the awards and aside from the trailers and Miyamoto, it was rly bad

Yeah, I spent the whole day throwing up and it was probably a better use of my time then watching that garbage. That teabagging thing....it can be funny in games amongst your friends but at an awards show? Really?

I just rolled my eyes when I heard Charlie Sheen was there. You've gotta be a sad, sad person to think that meme/fad/gimmick/guy/atrocity/whatever is still funny.

Numero Uno reason I think Geoff Keighley is an abomination. This whole thing is his brainchild.

Why did Fable 3 have to be fun? Totally started playing it and lost about half a day to it on Monday.

In other news, I got the RAAM's Shadow DLC for Gears 3... anyone else on board with that?

Gamertag = Psycing

for anyone who wants to Gears it up.

I didn't think it was a bad game but it just largely felt like going through the motions. Once I beat the story, I just kind of moved on. I thought it was weird because usually a big budget game will stick in my head for a bit, even if it sucks.

Also there were a lot of better games released, in my mind.

Hey question for you gamers. I've heard so much good stuff about this Skyrim game and I want to give it a shot. But I haven't played any of the other Elder Scrolls games. My question is, is that going to be a problem or make the game less enjoyable for me?

It'll be a steeper learning curve, but other than that, you'll be fine. It's pretty streamlined and user-friendly.

Oh, and awesome beyond your wildest expectations! :P

Hey question for you gamers. I've heard so much good stuff about this Skyrim game and I want to give it a shot. But I haven't played any of the other Elder Scrolls games. My question is, is that going to be a problem or make the game less enjoyable for me?

Don't be discouraged if you die a few more times then you are used to in games! Its worth getting good at!

I had a great Christmas in the video game department

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Modern Warfare 3

Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Rayman Origins

Mario Kart 7

Super Mario 3D Land

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

I got $600 too so I'll probably use a chunk of that to buy even more video games. :lol:

On top of that I need to keep up with Skyrim. I'm still only like, level 6 or something.

I screwed up in Skyrim... I was doing the Thieves' Guild questline, and after receiving the initial thief armor, I either sold it or dropped it somewhere. Turns out, you need to trade it in to get better armor, and obviously I can't, and I can't engage the NPC in any other dialogue (including using her a fence). I've searched the major holds, but I'm starting to think I just randomly dropped it in some dungeon. :S