Koivu and Ribs go at eachother this morning...

Habby1197

Koivu and Ribs had a little run in with eachother this morning... with Saku jumping Ribs. First Saku hit Ribs in the stomach with his stick, and shortly later he jumped him... so gloves weren't taken off but teamates did come in to break it up... maybe this will spark them... maybe this is just the Habs self-destructing in front of our eyes... we'll know tomorrow night.

http://www.rds.ca/cgi-bin/nouvelles?site=r...on&sport=#96366

[Edited on 2004/2/18 by Habby1197]

Wow is all I have to say.

We've all heard the rumours of the "split" in the dressing room , now we know thats its true , and its a big big problem ... First Ribs buddy Dagenais fights with Saku's buddy Rivet in practice... Now Saku and Ribs fight?

This is big trouble. Something needs to be done , I'm not saying trade one of the 2 , but at least sit them down and tell them to stop being so damn selfish and think of the team.

Koivu has no excuse for spearing his own teammate in practice , the guy is our captain ... what the hell kind of leadership is that?

I admit I dont know all the facts yet , but it looks really bad for Koivu since he started the whole thing today. I just cant wait to hear the excuses for him from the fans who think Saku cant do no wrong.

btw: Anyone who knows me knows that I am unbiased between the 2 sides , so dont call me a Ribs-lover.

Originally posted by puck7x

I admit I dont know all the facts yet , but it looks really bad for Koivu since he started the whole thing today.

Did he?

Are we all suddenly clairvoyant? Do we know what happened after the game last night? Do we know what happened before practice this morning? Do we know everything that was said and done on the ice before the incident?

Love the conclusions that everyone are jumping to.

ACF

Originally posted by Guy!

I admit I dont know all the facts yet , but it looks really bad for Koivu since he started the whole thing today.

Did he?

Are we all suddenly clairvoyant? Do we know what happened after the game last night? Do we know what happened before practice this morning? Do we know everything that was said and done on the ice before the incident?

Love the conclusions that everyone are jumping to.

ACF

Look at my post again , I said I do not know all the facts :) , but from the sounds of it , it was Koivu who started it. Thats all I'm saying.

We'll have to wait and see for our own eyes , and wait for some more information to leak out from the players.

Originally posted by Guy!

Go read the RDS boards.  There's a gem in there.  Ribby is 8X the player that Saku is.

Inteligent guy, that one.

ACF

No thanks , I'll save my brain from the pain of reading that garbage. RDS boards are just plain horrible...

I've always been a Ribs fan, but I'm starting to dislike the guy. It's unfortunate, but I have a hard time liking the guy now because of his idiotic praise from dumbo media members. I have a hard time believing Saku would flat out spear Ribs, but I'll have to see for my self on RDS at 6:30 (even though the fools will obviously be biased).

My only fear is that somehow these idiots will run Saku out of town.

I love to watch Ribs play hockey. Stickhandling, passing, scoring, etc. But unfortunately I'm starting to be disgusted by the media's bias and it's changing my opinion on the play; even though it shouldn't. That's bad on my part, but I just don't like what I'm seeing and hearing, and I don't like #71 being shoved down my throat, especially since I have no other means of watching the Habs other than RDS.

[Edited on 2004/2/18 by jl.roberts]

Here's sportsnet's take on it:

According to reports out of Montreal, two Canadiens were involved in mix-ups at practice Wednesday. Both Mike Ribeiro and Saku Koivu were reportedly involved in two separate incidents.

The first incident -- not spotted by media in attendance -- was in front of the net during team scrimmage. The second incident between Koivu and Ribeiro was again, in front of the net mixing. Both players started to scuffle when it appeared that Ribeiro motioned to Koivu as if to say: "What's your problem?"

Koivu retaliated by hitting Ribeiro over the head with his stick, some eyewitnesses said it was vicious too!

Ribeiro defended himself and the two were eventually separated.

After practice, Koivu would not talk to media while Ribeiro said it was the "heat of the moment" and that the media's making something out of nothing.

Tune in to Sportsnetnews Wednesday night/evening and Thursday morning for the latest.

Still, to those who said Rivet vs. Dagenais was nothing, normal on any team... in your face.

This team does have problem in that the veteran "clique" that includes Koivu & Rivet have a genuine dislike, not to say hatred, for the younger "clique" that includes Ribeiro & Theodore.

To have the best players on your team, Rivet excluded, at each other's throats simply isn't healthy... especially when your captain is part of the problem, and so he can't step in to mediate the situation.

Hell he's instigating the situation at this point.

In quite a few PPs lately you can Koivu refusing to play the puck down, keeps passing it to the point exclusively. Then his bodyguard Rivet goes after Dagenais, now Koivu himself goes after Ribeiro.

Sure.. we "don't know" what really happened, oh please. Who cares what happened outside the ice?

End result we're fighting harder against each other than we are against the other teams.

That's a problem, and we've known about this problem for a long time although some us chose to ignore it.

Funniest thing is, we just called up Dykhuis instead of Beauchemin... guess we're ready for round 2 with Zednik... hehe

Sure.. we "don't know" what really happened, oh please. Who cares what happened outside the ice?  

End result we're fighting harder against each other than we are against the other teams.

That's a problem, and we've known about this problem for a long time although some us chose to ignore it.

Thank you. Of course coaches will always downplay it to the media as well: "Oh, I've always had scuffles in practice", etc. I said it before, during the course of the regular season, this team is supposed to be a single unit. Fighting amongst themselves is counterproductive to what they are trying to accomplish.

I've had arguments before with other players during practice, but I've never dropped the gloves with any of them.

After seeing the video for my own eyes I'd have to say that RDS made a whole lot out of nothing. I've seen rougher scrums at figure skating competitions ...

And that Langdon punch TSN mentioned was more like a glove in the face trying to remove the 2 players...

Damn media.

After seeing the video for my own eyes I'd have to say that RDS made a whole lot out of nothing. I've seen rougher scrums at figure skating competitions ...  

And that Langdon punch TSN mentioned was more like a glove in the face trying to remove the 2 players...

Damn media.

But gotta love those ratings! Melodrama sells big-time...

Damn media.

It might have been exagerated, but it did happen TWICE in the same practice... only one was caught on camera.

Add that to the Rivet/Dagenais incident, and you've got yourself a pattern here.

There there is an obvious problem in the locker room, and it needs to be resolved so the team can move on to bigger & better things.

Originally posted by Habs77

There there is an obvious problem in the locker room, and it needs to be resolved so the team can move on to bigger & better things.

I seem to remember Nilan and Richer going at it in 1986. And there was a much greater veteran - rookie dichotomy on the team then too. But didn't Gainey and the Habs go on to win the Cup that year?

Dear All,

Please get a life.

Teamates fight all the time, even on championship teams.

Do you actually think that all the members of the great Habs teams in the past liked each other????!!!!!

B***S**T

The only conclusion to be drawn from this fight is that SK is pissed off by his and others lack of finish, and in some cases start, in the last four games. I think they will show some passion against Cal. as a result.

If BG makes a trade of either one of these players because of this (and I am sure he won't) then he is no better than HOule and we had all better find another team to cheer for.

Relax, the Habs will start winning again tonight and Buf is going to start a loosing skid:hlogo:

Originally posted by habitual_hab

I seem to remember Nilan and Richer going at it in 1986. And there was a much greater veteran - rookie dichotomy on the team then too. But didn't Gainey and the Habs go on to win the Cup that year?

And the coach at the time, Jean Perron, interveaned and told Nilan to quit it... that's what Perron said just the other day.

He said not all players were happy about him getting involved, but the veteran leaders came to him and told him he was right to do so... that it couldn't go on any longer.

Then they went on to win the Cup.

Here CJ is just singing the party line, and the problem involves the captain... who is supposed to be the rock for the team as Gainey was then.

Guess what boys, no Cup this year. :nono:

And the coach at the time, Jean Perron, interveaned and told Nilan to quit it... that's what Perron said just the other day.

He said not all players were happy about him getting involved, but the veteran leaders came to him and told him he was right to do so... that it couldn't go on any longer.

Then they went on to win the Cup.

Here CJ is just singing the party line, and the problem involves the captain... who is supposed to be the rock for the team as Gainey was then.

Guess what boys, no Cup this year.

No Cup this year? - that's a no-brainer... the Habs'll be lucky to make the playoffs.

You infer that Koivu's not a good captain. Just what, praytell, is a good captain in your books?

Henri Richard smacked Serge Savard in the face - I guess that makes him and his 11 Cups not worthy of your adulation as a captain, eh?

Koivu was voted captain by his peers and that's good enough for me. Koivu taking the bull by the horns and buffeting a prima donna megalomaniac upside the head is perhaps what this team needs. I don't know 'cause I'm not privy to the insider information that you obviously are or you wouldn't state that Julien did not admonish either player for their actions.