Line adjustments

GoHabs2002

The team is going to have to settle the top 2 lines eventually. Lats has shown he doesn't hurt his linemates on the top lines and with his size and ability to battle in the corners and maintain the puck, he should stay on the top 2 lines.

With Higgins coming back in the next 15 days or so, Carbo will have the opportune time to find a winning combination like Gainey did once he placed Higgs on Koivu's line last year.

It's obvious Kovy isn't happy with Pleks and from recent games it appears that he and Koivu MIGHT have re-kindled some of their chemistry they showed in the '04 playoffs. Carbo also has to find a second line center. We all here mostly agree that the team should try out Higgs before sending any assets away for an outside solution.

So why not try:

Lats Koivu Kovy

Sammy Higgs Ryder

Ryder seems to respond more to Higgs than to Koivu, so keeping them together could be more important than keeping them together with koivu. Sammy can act as the puck carrier, which he should enjoy.

Outside from that, I think the number one duty for Gainey is to dangle Sammy around for a number 2 center. I don't know who and I know Sammy's value might not be high right now, but I'm also sure there are some GMs who could look at the situation as just another player not able to perform in Montreal and would be willing to listen to deals involving Samsonov. If Chicago is interested, I'm not completely intersted in there defensemen..how about Tuomu Ruttu. I know he's young, once-labelled as there franchise player. But he's been injured and could be available.

I totally agree. I was hoping Carbo would switch it up a bit tonight.

I'd like to see something like the top lines you've put there.

Lats Koivu Kovy

Sammy Higgs Ryder

Unless you believe Sammy is going to have more succes with Higgins then Koivu?

Might as well put both Russians around the C... the opposite lines would pay attention to Koivu and Kovy and perhaps leave Lats alone for his shots... but I still preffer our best best guys

I like the idea of Lats-Higgins-Ryder... the younglings... But I would not mind adding Plekanek to that mix like I posted before and let those 4 fight for their spots on the second line idealy I wish it would be like so

1Sammy-Koivu-Kovalev

2Higgins-Plek-Lats/Ryder (RW=whom ever plays better...or on a role)

3P-B-J

4Begin-Murray-Downey ( this line is just out of curtesy) if the team had less heart and less respect for players like Pittsburg or Philly or Tampa ... we would have waivered Murray and Downey a long time ago!

if not traded them for 7th or 8th picks... and bring up Kosty and Lapierre or Grabovsky

We are playing with three lines Kovalev is right thats how we should play for now!

Well i'm not sure what you were saying about the 4th line and getting rid of them, they are doing exactly what a 4th line is suppose to. The reason Kosty, Lapiere aren't up is because they are not ready or they would be up. You heard what Carbo said about Kosty. The line that isn't showing up is the SECOND line. I also highly doubt Higgins will move to center. Look for a move when Higgins comes back.

Outside from that, I think the number one duty for Gainey is to dangle Sammy around for a number 2 center. I don't know who and I know Sammy's value might not be high right now, but I'm also sure there are some GMs who could look at the situation as just another player not able to perform in Montreal and would be willing to listen to deals involving Samsonov. If Chicago is interested, I'm not completely intersted in there defensemen..how about Tuomu Ruttu. I know he's young, once-labelled as there franchise player. But he's been injured and could be available.

Did you just say Ruutu? :wub:

Well i'm not sure what you were saying about the 4th line and getting rid of them, they are doing exactly what a 4th line is suppose to. The reason Kosty, Lapiere aren't up is because they are not ready or they would be up. You heard what Carbo said about Kosty. The line that isn't showing up is the SECOND line. I also highly doubt Higgins will move to center. Look for a move when Higgins comes back.

I did mumble a bit there...while explaining the 4th line... I just was adding that OTHER teams (not that I am favouring that at all which Im not) would have dumped Downey or Murray... only for the chance of putting some rooks .... I find it Unclassy to do what was done to Leclair or Roy....

I think the second line is doing much better than it was a while back. While it's still not up to our expectations, i think they're getting by "just barely" to avoid significant line changes for now. I don't expect anything major to happen unless we start dropping games from now until Higgins' return.

if samsonov doesn't produce more when higgins comes back, I can see him on the 4th line and higgins plek and kovy on the 2nd line.