Habs strengths/weaknesses

Habs77

The teams rankings are based on their players rankings... which are calculated using most available stats not just points.

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/playerrankin...ularseason/TEAM

TEAM RATING GOAL DEF LW C RW STAND

07. MTL, 95.93 6th 10th 22nd 15th 18th 16th

24. NYI, 51.22 24th 9th 6th 18th 27th 14th

26. BUF, 47.02 25th 21st 11th 8th 10th 18th

-------------------------------------------

It becomes very clear out major advantage is in goal (6th for us compared to 24 & 25).

On D we're on equal footing with NYI but ahead of BUF although it doesn't take it account that we're without Souray for now.

On offense our weakest position seems to be LW... where we're 22nd compared to 6th & 11th.

We're average at C with 15th, and then again below average at RW with 18th.

I think the numbers clearly indicate our focus should be to acquire help on the wings... left or right doesn't matter since we have a few guys (Zednik, Ryder) who can play both.

--------------------------------------------

These numbers aren't the holy grail, but they still give a good indication of where we need help most IMO.

The Wings are 22nd? The same Wings who are #1 in the NHL? lol....

I figured the habs would of been higher for centre rankings , how the hell are the Bruins #1 for centre when their 3 centres are Thornton (average season) , Rolston (pretty good season) , and Bergeron (doesnt always play centre0 .... wtf?

Lots of flaws.

I think we need two left wingers...

Someone to go on the top line and someone to go on the 2nd line.

The guys who are there now just dont get the job done.

We could get away with Bulis on one of those lines because of his hard work and defensive play.

With Bulis out of the lineup for 4 weeks, why not bring up Hossa again. Maybe he'll give us 5 or 6 good games untill gainey can get something done.

:ghg:

Originally posted by puck7x

The Wings are 22nd? The same Wings who are #1 in the NHL?  lol....

I figured the habs would of been higher for centre rankings , how the hell are the Bruins #1 for centre when their 3 centres are Thornton (average season) , Rolston (pretty good season) , and Bergeron (doesnt always play centre0 .... wtf?

Lots of flaws.

Like I said, I know it's not the holy grail... but I think it's pretty accurate in saying the wing is where we are by far the weakest.

I mean Dagenais, Bulis on the top lines is not impressive... it's scary in the bad sense of the word.

As for the Red Wings' standings... look past the 23rd ranking and look at the numbers for each position:

Detroit Red Wings, G:27th D:2nd LW:1st C:2nd RW:22nd

It's right in that their achiles heel is in goal... that and the RW completely weight down their numbers.

The RW in reality has no impact on the team since LW & C are 1st & 2nd and carry the offense just fine.

I don't think the Red Wings have a shot with Cujo in nets. I don't think Hasek is healthy enough to make a miraculous comeback and lead them to glory... their best shot is Legace, but I doubt they'll have the balls to make that call simply because Legace has that "backup" tag even if he's the best they have right now.

Unless they turn to Legace, I don't see the Red Wings going very far... yet again.

As for the Habs not faring better at center, Juneau weights the position way down... simple as that.

Boston on the other hand have 3 very productive centers... if they consider Bergeron a center, which he is some of the time. I can't believe he's actually their go-to guy for faceoffs, at 18. Amazing.

I hate it when we miss out on local products, I hate when Boston of all people out-scout us in our own backyard.

In conclusion... it's easy to single out one particular ranking and shoot it down, but if you take the time to figure out why some of the numbers are surprising they lead you to the right conclusions.

They're all based on numbers. Numbers, although they don't give the whole picture, don't lie.

What I liked about this ranking was more how it highlighted each team's strong points and weaknesses... not how they end up ranking the teams overall.

Originally posted by Bonavistaman11

I think we need two left wingers...

Someone to go on the top line and someone to go on the 2nd line.  

The guys who are there now just dont get the job done.

We could get away with Bulis on one of those lines because of his hard work and defensive play.

With Bulis out of the lineup for 4 weeks, why not bring up Hossa again.  Maybe he'll give us 5 or 6 good games untill gainey can get something done.

:ghg:

I don't think we need 2 LWers... since we only have Ryder as a right shot that I'd want to keep. Ok, add Ward... Dackell bleah.

Zednik although he can play right is a lefty, as is Bulis, Koivu, Ribeiro, Juneau, Perreault, Sundstrom, Begin, Langdon, Kilger.

Hossa, Higgins, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Kastitsyn... all shoot left.

There's Balej who shoots right among our better prospects, that's about it.

I'd go for 2 right shots, or at the very least one of each... if we're getting 2 wingers of course.

To me O'Neill fits our need perfectly... 200lbs, gritty, yet fast and can score... shoots right, can play wing or center so he can take faceoffs.

If we get him I could see Koivu & Ribeiro duking it out in practice to see who gets him on his line, fair is fair ;)

If yu ask me the Habs will only go as far as Theo takes them. I agree that O'neill would be a great pick up and for that matter if they could swing a deal for Gonchar even better as it is only too evident that with Souray out the other habs defencemen can't score and as such the PP is hurting unless Ribs is kickin'. But it all comes down to the pipes just look at the last 2 years, Giguere carried a crappy Anaheim team to the finals and the year before that it was Irbe who played so well. If Theo gets hot and it looks like he's getting back to his early season form, we will be able to get through a round or 2 and with a little help in the way of a trade for a solid Power forward or an offensive defenceman like Gonchar we should be watching Habs games well into June

:hlogo:catvo