Habs acquire Mathieu Biron

Makh2o

Biron's profile appear to be a much more desirable one than Traverse,......that's clear and can explain by itself the reason behind the CH's move.

What is not clear is WHY would San Jose would be willing to give more and obtain less ?

That's my question to you boys and girls.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Traverse was claimed in the first place, it was a bit of a blow to him because his family is now based near Worcester, which is where he was playing within the SJ organization, but it was made up for by the likelihood that he might be back in the NHL, which he wouldn't be within the San Jose gang. Then a couple of days later Gainey got Niinimaa, and it seemed like the meanest thing to do to Traverse, as he was now doomed to Hamilton instead of near home in Worcester or in the NHL in Montreal. All the commentators at RDS were ashamed of it when it happened, and it's not the kind of thing Gainey would let stand, I think - hence sending him back where he was happy now. I really don't see this as a preparation for some Sidney Crosby trade.

Neither player will likely play in the NHL again. As Petrov said...it was reported right after Niinimaa was acquired that Gainey was working on a deal to send Traverse back to Worcester to be with his family as he was no longer needed. Gainey wanted a draft pick but I guess after some time they settled on Biron. Biron is probably happy to play for the organization in hopes of getting a call-up sometime.. I wouldn't look at this as anything more than making a couple guys happy. Biron was a depth guy under the old rules...he isn't even that with the new ones.

Not that I think that trading Patrick Traverse is a bad thing, but Gainey could have signed this guy back in August. The guy is nothing more than a depth defensman in Hamilton and is not a significant addition. There is a reason he has played for 5 different teams now

I wonder how anyone in either organization cares about where Travers wants to live. It is a nice thing to do ... but it isn't likely that the trade would go through unless Biron was singing the same tune.

As always, rumours mean nothing; and the working of our GMs' minds are beyond our feeble comprehension.

Maybe they just wanted Traverse to be near his family for Christmas... than they'll reverse the trade in January! :P

Hey, in his first game with the Bulldogs Biron's got a goal and an assist already, and that's after only one period.

Souray the 2nd! ;-)

Wow! That's a pretty good start! Yeah we'll need a replacement to Souray I guess hehe

The location argument holds no water. Worcester is in Massachusettes, which is where Traverse will be playing.

But yeah, a depth move. Essentially a trade between Worcester and Hamilton, not San Jose and Montreal.

Oh well, I thought Worcester was in San Jose. He owns a house 15 minutes away from the arena in Worcester and all his family is there.

Acquiring Biron might be huge. Cross 'em fingers.

The only reason I think so is the input and feedback from friends of mine who like Philly, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Toronto and others.

The opinions are varying but we may have sneaked a player out of SJ. Also, living in Q land we all saw him play for Acadie-Bathurst Titan. He's impressive but he is slow. I saw him play versus the Moosehead's/

I really get pumped about prospects and players when opposing fans give a thumbs up.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I actually think it was a mercy like trade done by San Jose... with the family tragedy occuring in Habsland... Sanjose took back traverse to reunite him with his family

given nothing to prove the contrary I say it was a Classy Xmas gift to Traverse Biron and the Habs (Gainey)

I actually think it was a mercy like trade done by San Jose... with the family tragedy occuring in Habsland... Sanjose took back traverse to reunite him with his family

given nothing to prove the contrary I say it was a Classy Xmas gift to Traverse Biron and the Habs (Gainey)

if you're right, praises to both of the ones in charge of the trade.

GO :hlogo: GO!

how about this one...

add a 19 in front of the post number and it's the year of the last leafs cup.

was it Traverse for Biron straight up? No future considerations or anything based on how many ahl/nhl points Biron racks up?

i read about this trade on tsn.ca & rds.ca and there was no mention of future considerations (whatever that is, really)

Martin Biron espère que son frère aura sa chance

Martin Biron wants to see his brother getting a real chance to succeed in Montréal.

those two guys are brothers???

outta sight...