Koivu and the HHOF

zumpano21

Just musing to myself about how great a year Saku is enjoying, especially as of late, when the thought occurred to me, "Does Koivu have the right stuff to make the Hall?" Between all the adversity (lymphoma, the eye injury, the ACL tear on top of everything else) he still plays like a fireball, averaging one point a night when healthy. Personally, I don't think he has the stats and he tends to be underrated BUT if he can lead this team to a Cup and potentially pick up a Conn Smythe on the way, his stature might change.

If he can play like this for a few years and get a cup or two under his belt then yes. He has all the assets of a hall of famer cailbre player, but bad luck has always kept him from achieving the recognition he deserves (him being underrated is good for us tho, cuz then we dont have to pay him sundin/richards money).

Great story and greta player but I think you need more than a a goal every 4 games to make the Hall of Fame. He'd need atleast a Cup and a major award. Maybe an 100 point season. It doesn't look possible.

You guys might be overrating the Hall of Fame. Lanny MacDonald and Dick Duff are in there, and so is Clark Gilles.

What drives me batty is that if Koivu were a Leaf, he'd be a legend by now - a national hero.

Absolutley no way is he hall of fame material. Even if Montreal should win a Stanley Cup in the next few years. Montreal would have to win atleast 2 cups and he would have to start producing atleast a point a game from here on out if he were to have any chance. But I don't see it happening. He's a great story and a great person, but that doesn't make him Hall of Fame worthy

Saku would need at least a cup and a Con Smythe and he might be worthy but it will be very though, the hhof is not just about NHL he has good international numbers and his playoff numbers are great. AS of right now I would say it is about 1 in 100 shot of getting in.

Gimme a break, Koivu was the only thing good on this team since Roy left. He is easily our equivalent to Sundin and a very classy player. He has faced greater adversity then any player I can think of and is still more than deserving of being our captain. I couldnt honestly care about stats in a situation like this.

If he isnt inducted I think the "Fame" at the end of HHOF should be changed to "Shame"

Well, what he means to Montreal isn't the deciding factor. It comes down mostly to pure stats, and his injuries have limited his numbers. For sure, if his play picks up in the next few seasons, he might have an outside chance.

Koivu is a great player, but like Dick Duff, he'll end up in the HHOF from 30 years after he retires or when there's no other good players to put in.

Koivu is a great player, but like Dick Duff, he'll end up in the HHOF from 30 years after he retires or when there's no other good players to put in.

there'll always be good players to put in... there's a whole generation of good to great players not even born yet...

as to Duff, isn't he there in the category of builders like the Molsons (or am I just being a homer there?)

GO :hlogo: GO!

there'll always be good players to put in... there's a whole generation of good to great players not even born yet...

as to Duff, isn't he there in the category of builders like the Molsons (or am I just being a homer there?)

GO :hlogo: GO!

No, Dick Duff made it as a player, for both Toronto and Montreal. There was somebody else inducted in the builders category this year... someone from the Calgary Flames I think.

As for Duff being in the Hall of Fame, most of us haven't seen him play, so we should probably suspend judgement. His offensive stats aren't the greatest, but we don't know what else he brought to the game. Success counts for a lot, and he was part of 6 Stanley Cup victories.

his #11 will be retired in Montreal, that's the greatest honor any hockey player can achieve :P

A smiley isn't required after that statement!

If Koivu does get his number retired in Montreal then he deserves to get into the HHOF. Clearly, it's harder to get a number retired by the Habs...lol

Remember who votes for the HHOF.

I think he's got a legit shot at getting years down the road. It is certainly not always about stats for the voters. If he wins a Cup and a Con Smythe I think that would make him a lock IMHO.

If Koivu does get his number retired in Montreal then he deserves to get into the HHOF. Clearly, it's harder to get a number retired by the Habs...lol

Remember who votes for the HHOF.

I think he's got a legit shot at getting years down the road. It is certainly not always about stats for the voters. If he wins a Cup and a Con Smythe I think that would make him a lock IMHO.

Something tells me that if the Habs win the cup in the next couple of years, Huet will be the Con Smythe winner ...