Lapierre sent to Hamilton

Talon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry Lapierre will be back for sure. It's just a matter of who gets axed. By the looks of things right now, it's either Murray or Downey but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Downey.

http://www.hockeyanalysis.com/?page_id=329

Last year of his one-year contract :P

Mind you, Downey is much more intense than Murray who's season hasn't been the best.

D Craig Rivet 2,565,000

D Janne Niinimaa 2,508,000

C Radek Bonk 2,394,000

D Sheldon Souray 2,280,000

RW Michael Ryder 2,200,000

G David Aebischer 1,900,000

RW Mike Johnson 1,786,000

D Andrei Markov 1,750,000

D Mike Komisarek 946,900

LW Christopher Higgins 673,000

RW Alexander Perezhogin 627,000

C Tomas Plekanec 450,000

Shiiiiit, all these are set for a new contract next summer? Daaaamn.

The first 3 can take a paycut, but not a big one... Ryder, Aebischer and Johnson would be worth about the same... But almost all others are set for a big increase.

We'd definitely have to let go some of those.

Edited by KoZed

Quickly I estimate their worth to be

D Craig Rivet 2,000,000/3yr

D Janne Niinimaa --gone-- (no doubt)

C Radek Bonk 2,000,000/2yr

D Sheldon Souray 4,000,000/3yr

RW Michael Ryder --gone-- (not worth the money he will ask for)

G David Aebischer --gone-- (trade)

RW Mike Johnson 1,750,000/2yr

D Andrei Markov 5,000,000/4yr

D Mike Komisarek 1,500,000/1yr

LW Christopher Higgins 1,500,000/1yr

RW Alexander Perezhogin 1,000,000/1yr

C Tomas Plekanec 750,000/1yr

You're missing the point. During the roster freeze, you can't trade anyone or place anyone on waivers. Both Downey and Murray need waivers to be demoted, so we can't send them down right now. Once the freeze is over, you bet bet that one of them will be gone and Lapierre will be back up.

I'm not missing the point and I understand it perfectly. but what I was saying, cause you're missing my point :P , is that they could've put downey or murray on waivers earlier to leave some cap room for lapierre.

anyhow, once bégin and dandy will be back, I don't think they'll have a choice of putting someone on waivers or trade some one.

I'm sure that next week, the situation will be evaluated and BG will make a move.

Edited by marky_and_komi

Quickly I estimate their worth to be

D Craig Rivet 2,000,000/3yr

D Janne Niinimaa --gone-- (no doubt)

C Radek Bonk 2,000,000/2yr

D Sheldon Souray 4,000,000/3yr

RW Michael Ryder --gone-- (not worth the money he will ask for)

G David Aebischer --gone-- (trade)

RW Mike Johnson 1,750,000/2yr

D Andrei Markov 5,000,000/4yr

D Mike Komisarek 1,500,000/1yr

LW Christopher Higgins 1,500,000/1yr

RW Alexander Perezhogin 1,000,000/1yr

C Tomas Plekanec 750,000/1yr

Perezhoghin and Plex will get about the same, Plex maybe even more.

Higgy could easily fetch Ryder money, ie. 2.2+

Souray could fetch upwards of 4.5-5 if he keeps it up.

If you go by potential salaries:

Niinimaa + Aebisher = Higgins + Komisarek's raised

Ryder = Plekanec + Perezhogin raised

Now you still need to find over 6M$ to give raises to both Souray and Markov (about 3M$ each).

My best guess is that Kovalev and possibly Bonk or Rivet could be let go... or Souray just goes sign elsewhere.

That means possibly 2 new top RWers next season, possibly Lats and Kosty... and possibly also a new 3rd C to replace Bonk (Lapierre? Chipchura?) as well as a new backup (Danis or Halak?).

Anyway... just enjoy the season and worry about it next summer!

-- Montréal Canadiens 2007-8, first draft --

Higgins (1.5) - Koivu (4.75) - Latendresse (0.85) = 7.1

Samsonov (3.5) - Kovalev (4.5) - Kosty (0.5) = 8.5

Johnson (1.75) - Plekanec (0.75) - Perezhogin (1) = 3.5

Bégin (1) - Lapierre (0.5) - Streit (0.6) = 2.1

Total forwards = 21.2

Markov (5) - Komisarek (1.5) = 6.5

Souray (4) - Rivet (2) = 6

Dandenault (1.725) - Bouillon (1.875) = 3.6

Total defense = 16.2

Defense + forward = 37.4

Huet (2.875)

Halak (0.5)

Goalies = 3.375

Total payroll 40,775,000

No reservist tough, but we still have soom room for tweaks :)

isint the limit supposed to go up next year? or did i miss read?

We dont know yet for sure, but its expected to go up to 46-47 mil

From what I've read from various sources, it all seems a little more complicated than first thought.

If the Habs ditch Murray or Downey and they're not picked off waivers by any team, they'll still pay them full salary AND pay Lapierre NHL money.

If Murray or Downey are picked off waivers, Habs still have to pay half their salaries plus Lapierre's NHL rata.

Habs dont want to waste that money because they're saving it in case they have injuries near the playoffs and need a rent-a-player. Besides, Murray and Downey are not that bad reservists, so dumping them means the Habs lose depth AND money.

I thought how dropping Niinimaa would solve the money issue, but then it'd just open up a whole on defense which the Habs can't fill from within. J-P Coté notwithstanding. As we've seen with injuries to a bunch of our D's, having a depth D like Niinimaa is quite handy and that's why Gainey got him. Ditto for Aebischer. Habs want to have that depth for the playoffs in case of injuries. Not a dumb strategy. Buffalo serves as a cautionary tale here. They've been hit hard with injuries last playoffs and would have beaten Carolina if they had more depth.

Seems to me like Biron and Coté's progresses are the keys to Lapierre's return to the NHL. If they can show they are ready to be reliable reservists in the NHL, then it might make Niinimaa expandable. Its a long shot, but seems to be the only thing now that'd make the Habs budge aside from a trade involving 2 or 3 players.

Either way, don't despair. The roster is expanded to 40 players for the playoffs so Lapierre will definitely come back then and probably play. I wouldn't mind entering the playoffs with a hungry rookie freshly called-up just before the end of the season. I remember a certain Claude Lemieux get called up for the last 10 games of the season in 85-86 and the playoffs he had afterwards is legendary now.

Isn't that only on recall waivers?

When they eliminated the recall they changed it so half-salary is on the down waivers? That's just a guess, all I read was that if a team picked them up on waivers Habs would pay half their salaries.

When they eliminated the recall they changed it so half-salary is on the down waivers? That's just a guess, all I read was that if a team picked them up on waivers Habs would pay half their salaries.

no, NHL->AHL waivers work the same as always. Now I don't know if Murray and Downey are eligible for recall waivers, but my best guess is that you heard that we might get stuck with half of either salary if/when we try to recall one to fill a spot.

IMO (humble at that) Murray has fallen asleep at the wheel. I'd do anything to swap out Max for weak productivity. It may take a couple of weeks for all this to transpire, but Lapierre should be back soon.

I agree, with Hamilton's busy schedule, it would keep Lapierre sharp and working towards something huge... what do you think is in his head now... getting back to the NHL on '07 for the 2nd half of a rocking season where a rookie is part of potential and currently probable cup chasing headlines.

With Carbo having this kind of stuff just jingling (that's jingle - ing like the Christmas Carole) in his pocket, every coach and GM in the league is wondering how you stop the heavy onslaught of habs talent in the background.

Again, Mr. Gainey has worked all this out, and remember, Doug Jarvis was right there a short time ago watching Hamilton... They know what they are doing...

It's not the first time for any of the staff...

GO :hlogo: GO!

J

Again, Mr. Gainey has worked all this out, and remember, Doug Jarvis was right there a short time ago watching Hamilton... They know what they are doing...

It's not the first time for any of the staff...

GO :hlogo: GO!

J

That is what makes me so confident in the Habs future. If they can keep drafting the way they are, and developing talent so well at the farm team level, and they can keep their coaching staff, I don't think it's a stretch to wager that Les Glorieux will hoist lord Stanley's mug in the next 5 years! :clap:

That is what makes me so confident in the Habs future. If they can keep drafting the way they are, and developing talent so well at the farm team level, and they can keep their coaching staff, I don't think it's a stretch to wager that Les Glorieux will hoist lord Stanley's mug in the next 5 years! :clap:

Five years is much to long, if it has not been done in 3 including this year I will be very upset.

Five years is much to long, if it has not been done in 3 including this year I will be very upset.

Looking at the league just right now, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think we're already Cup contenders.

The irony of it all is: we've got an old team, full of vets... yet we've also got one of the most promising group of young players and prospects. I think it'll allow us to stay competitive for many years, as we get a steady influx of young players to replace UFAs each year...

Looking at the league just right now, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think we're already Cup contenders.

The irony of it all is: we've got an old team, full of vets... yet we've also got one of the most promising group of young players and prospects. I think it'll allow us to stay competitive for many years, as we get a steady influx of young players to replace UFAs each year...

as long as it's a STEADY influx as KoZed says, and not a sudden onslaught of promising rookies with no experience.

as long as it's a STEADY influx as KoZed says, and not a sudden onslaught of promising rookies with no experience.

Well guys like Kostitsyn and Lapierre would be rookies, but they'd also have some NHL experience. Like Plex, Higgins and Zhog before them they would have had some call-ups before earning a full-time job. I'm thinking the same would happen for, say, Chipchura or O'Byrne eventually.

Latendresse is the kind of exception - a 19 yrs old becoming a regular with no prior NHL experience - I highly doubt we'll see again before many years.

Latendresse is the kind of exception - a 19 yrs old becoming a regular with no prior NHL experience - I highly doubt we'll see again before many years.

unless we get another top five pick and we pick a guy thats fits somewhere in our lineup.

like you said, kozed, it'll be harder for a kid to break the lineup not due of a lack of talent but more of the fact that the core of this team will be younger as we go.

price: 19

guy: 19

chip:21

higgins: 23

komi: 24-25

perezhogin: 25ish

lapierre: 21

kostitsyn:23

this could be our core players in less than 3 years. so, a teenager to break the lineup would have to be really special...being local would help too( even though I hate to say it, I think it's a fact)

Well guys like Kostitsyn and Lapierre would be rookies, but they'd also have some NHL experience. Like Plex, Higgins and Zhog before them they would have had some call-ups before earning a full-time job. I'm thinking the same would happen for, say, Chipchura or O'Byrne eventually.

I agree with you, I was just trying to avoid what someone posted on another thread (can't remember who) where they had a third line of Milroy-Kostitsyn-Lapierre, or something like that....

I think we've got a really good group of young talent that will keep us in a good position for many years, but what I wouldn't want is just tossing them all in there with no previous experience / leadership, and not a lot of players to look up to on our own team.

As the core of the team gets younger, players like Koivu, Souray, Rivet, Johnson, Bonk, Begin, etc. guys with years of NHL experience, will be all the more important to teach the younger players all aspects of the game, not just on the ice, but how to handle the highs and lows, slumps, media intensity... I'm not saying keep all of them at all. I'm just saying, leaders are important, and while I LOVE both Komisarek and Higgins, they'd need more years in the league to be leaders. Right now, they're future leaders for the upcoming kids, but let's not dump ALL our vets...

Recall waivers aren't eliminated. The salary applied to it did. Last year, any player making over $75,000 was subject to recall waivers. This year, is $95,000.

Regardless, Lapierre being sent to Hamilton was a cap move: Gazette