Niinimaa dealable?

RobRock

The last couple of games he's played, Niinimaa hasn't looked too bad. Is it possible that Carbonneau may play him for a short stretch of games to get his confidence back and showcase him a little? That could enable Gauthier to maybe package him with Murray or Downey for a draft pick or an older vet for the Bulldogs. Failing that, he could be waived and someone claims him either going down or on recall waivers.

Why not keep our players who are doing well for once?

Because Niinima isnt that good and was just a bandaid to start with. If he plays well and gets his value up then deal him while we can get more than a bag of pre-chewed popcorn.

You don't make trades when your players value is low because you wont get decent return.

Edited by OneSharpMarble

Because Niinima isnt that good and was just a bandaid to start with. If he plays well and gets his value up then deal him while we can get more than a bag of pre-chewed popcorn.

You don't make trades when your players value is low because you wont get decent return.

We don't need to make trades when your guys are playing well. Since Niinimaa is playing well, that is exactly why we WON'T trade him. Why fix what ain't broke.

We don't need to make trades when your guys are playing well. Since Niinimaa is playing well, that is exactly why we WON'T trade him. Why fix what ain't broke.

We won't trade him because he's my favourite Habs. ;)

Bob doesn't want me to throw a hissy fit. :P

Niinimaa is your favorite player? :?-

Yeah, I was scratching my head and asking the same question. But honestly, I don't think he'll be traded because I don't think anyone else will want his salary for the way he's playing. Not the end of the world, we just let him walk in the offseason, and we've lost nothing.

You DO know we have a much better fin than him in the line-up, right? :lol:

He was playing terribly earlier, now he is playing a little better we should deal him and free up the cap space. We have players who can take his spot and do it just as well for less money.

If you stop trying to improve you stagnate and then you start losing to the hungry teams that are always looking to get better.

Why not keep our players who are doing well for once?

he's been a scratch lately and from what I see and hear we need to make room on the bench. The roster is at it's limit. Maxim?

I say get rid of him for a decent draft pick, clear some bench space, salary cap relief and use it for what we need in March for a run at the cup.........

To be clear I'm talking about Ninimaa

Edited by HABBER-oooooKNOWS

I say get rid of him for a decent draft pick, clear some bench space, salary cap relief and use it for what we need in March for a run at the cup.........

remember when the devils got rid of malakhov. they're the ones who surrendered a decent pick along that lazy ass and got nothing in return except for the cap space saved. and a bucket of old pucks.

more and more will you see trades like that one happen.

so niinima for a decent pick ?? I just don't think so. I hope I'll be proven wrong, though.

Edited by marky_and_komi

remember when the devils got rid of malakhov. they're the ones who surrendered a decent pick along that lazy ass and got nothing in return except for the cap space saved. and a bucket of old pucks.

Niinimaa can play, Malakov is retired. Big difference there.

I dont think the team would be that affected if we traded Niinimaa.

He just got here and doesnt play much so it wouldnt affect team chemistry nor the defensive combos.

If the right deal came along, Id say why not.

Cap space is valuable in the my new nhl especially with all the UFAs we have coming up.

so niinima for a decent pick ?? I just don't think so. I hope I'll be proven wrong, though.

Considering his cost, I just don't think we need him....I would rather have Maxim up, murray down and ninimaa gone. The only part that sucks is if we give away Ninnamaa that would mean we got nothing fo Ribs.

But hey let's live in the moment. Ribs atittude was traded away and good riddance. Same with Theo. I don't care if we gave him to colorado and havlat was our back up....see ya!!!! we are better without ya.

Niinimaa isn't happy he's not that great and he's taking up room.....get rid of him. YA!!! to whoever will take him.

On the Theo note. Anyone see Spector's site today. Avs are thinking of just buying him out next year......

Man I'm glad he's gone.Now we can think about first place!!!!!!!

I guess I am the only one who does not mind Niinimaa with the Habs. Sure he struggled at the begining of the year (while playing the wrong side) but he is a decent depth defender to have for the playoffs. Lest we forget what happened to Buffalo last year in the playoffs they lost 3 defenders and had some brutal replacements. I would much rather have Niinimaa then Cote or Biron.

I guess I am the only one who does not mind Niinimaa with the Habs. Sure he struggled at the begining of the year (while playing the wrong side) but he is a decent depth defender to have for the playoffs. Lest we forget what happened to Buffalo last year in the playoffs they lost 3 defenders and had some brutal replacements. I would much rather have Niinimaa then Cote or Biron.

True......

We have to get rid of someone though if we want Maxim back.....

I think the most feasible option is Niinimaa being offloaded to whatever team for maybe a 4th round pick AND being stuck with a percentage of his remaining salary. In return, we'd free up some cap space for a move around the deadline.

I think the most feasible option is Niinimaa being offloaded to whatever team for maybe a 4th round pick AND being stuck with a percentage of his remaining salary. In return, we'd free up some cap space for a move around the deadline.

Teams can no longer hold on to part of a salary in trades.

True......

We have to get rid of someone though if we want Maxim back.....

Yes but but not getting rid of an experienced NHL defender.

Teams can no longer hold on to part of a salary in trades.

Yes but but not getting rid of an experienced NHL defender.

Yes, for an expierienced NHL defender that makes almost 3 million dollars and sits in the press box. Sorry, that's not smart. I understand why things are the way they are but it's still not smart. As far as injuries in the play-offs go......Shit we have an extra defenseman plaiyng forward...I think we'll be O.K.

Yes, for an expierienced NHL defender that makes almost 3 million dollars and sits in the press box. Sorry, that's not smart. I understand why things are the way they are but it's still not smart. As far as injuries in the play-offs go......Shit we have an extra defenseman plaiyng forward...I think we'll be O.K.

I understand where you are coming from but as of right now the habs wil have wiggle room for a deadling deal becuse of injuries to Higgins, Dandenault, and Frankie. Trading or getting rid of Niinimaa is just a waste of what Gainey brought him here for in the first place. The only way he will be traded is if the Habs aquire another NHL proven defender in return.

Dont compare Malakhov and Niinimaa, one had HUGE skills and didn't want to play, the other has average skills and wants to play.

Edited by JoeLassister