RDS Rumour

SWIFTYHAB

I do like that deal... O'Neill is better than Zednik pure & simple.

As for the hockey side... Zednik is listed at 6'0'' 198lbs, O'Neill 6'1'' 200lbs. Zednik was born in JAN 76, O'Neill FEB 76... both the same age.

But O'Neill a proven 30 goal scorer unlike Zednik, has 60+ pts the last 4 years while Zednik's best year is 50 pts... once. Plus he plays more physical/gritty than Zed which we need, he's a right shot which we lack, plus he can also play center... so being a right shot he can be that right faceoff guy Gainey said we needed.

He just fills so many of our needs, all in one package... if Zednik is the price I'd gladly pay it.

I heard on english radio (800 or 990 I don't remember) and they mentionned one of their sources mentionned Gainey wasn't much of a Zednik fan.

I also don't like:

- how Zednik disappears for long stretches, he doesn't give me a constant game in game out effort.

- how Zednik doesn't know passing is an option for him too

- how Zednik is incapable of picking out the corners when he shoots... 95% of his shots are right at the goalie and the only reason he scores is because he shoots quickly before the goalie can get set.

For this year trading a Hossa/Hainsey package for O'Neill/Hill would help more since we wouldn't be losing anyone off the roster in MTL... but if Gainey wants to give those two more time and has decided Zednik doesn't figure in his future plans I'd still be happy.

Either way I want O'Neill in MTL, ASAP.

But with the deal not being announced after the game, I'm thinking Rutherford is asking for more than what Gainey is ready to part with... for now anyway.

[Edited on 29-2-04 by Habs77]

This O'Neill for Zednik rumour makes absolutely no sense to me ... :?-

Why should Gainey trade away his best goalscorer (though he is in a slump right now)? I thought they would like to have ANOTHER wing, instead of replacing Zednik with someone else who isn't producing this season. O'Neill is slumping all season long, he won't really help them this year in the playoffs. Do you really think the HABS will be a better team with O'Neill in, Zednik out and Dagenais holding on to a spot? I think they have to keep Zednik and perhaps getting O'Neil as a bonus to "replace Dagenais" ...

I'd like to see O'Neill in a HABS uniform, but only if we keep Zednik. ;)

[Edited on 29-2-04 by habsfannr1]

I hate to lose Zednik because I think it will impact the teams chemistry. But, O'Neill is definitely an upgrade because he plays big and hard every single shift. Having said that, Zednik was nothing short of a complete stud the last time we went to the playoffs (before the elbow)...I just think he's hurt right now...I'd much rather see them give up Hossa for O'Neill....

Ya i completely agree. O'neill is a great player and all, but i think giving up zednik is a little to much for this hockey club. I say maybe package 2 players and a draft pick for o'neill and hill. but zednik, no thanks.

every player goes through dry spells. look what we did to czerkawski. traded him away because of 1 bad year, and now hes got 22 goals (or more). if we trade away zednik, the same thing is going to happen. you have to be patient with some players.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Zednik is not having the type of year I figured. He is not playing like he did last year. O'Neill is a more talented offensive player, and more physical. If the trade involved someone other then Hill, I'd do it.  

O'Neill has a bad year so far: only 13 goals, that's nothing for a potential 30-goalscorer. (by the way: Zednik has 19 :P ).

It would be a much better team if Zednik and O'Neill will both play for us ... O'Neill alone won't help the HABS in the playoffs, though he is very physical. ;)

[Edited on 29-2-04 by habsfannr1]

As frustrating as he's been to watch the past couple of weeks, I have to agree about not being willing to give up Zednick. For one thing I think the team is finally starting to act like an actual TEAM and trying to replace a major part of that chemistry would be a mistake. Maybe more importantly though, I really do think it's only a matter of time before he gets going again, and that he'll be a force again. Ideally he'll be a consistent force, but even if he's not quite that I don't want to see him go now.

Originally posted by Abby

As frustrating as he's been to watch the past couple of weeks, I have to agree about not being willing to give up Zednick.  For one thing I think the team is finally starting to act like an actual TEAM and trying to replace a major part of that chemistry would be a mistake.  Maybe more importantly though, I really do think it's only a matter of time before he gets going again, and that he'll be a force again.  Ideally he'll be a consistent force, but even if he's not quite that I don't want to see him go now.

O'Neill was Carolina's best forward in the playoffs in 2002... He has that experience, he knows what it takes...

I like Zednik, but O'Neill is better then him in most areas.

IMO you guys overrate Zednik... just look at his career stats, then put them up against O'Neill who is the exact same age.

It paints a very clear picture of who is the better player.

Not to mention O'Neill plays a more physical style.

O'Neill is the one having a off year... Zednik is just having a normal 40-50 point season.

I know having both helps us much more for this year, I agree... but going forward that might not be the case.

We have only four top 2 line wingers spots on a team:

- Ryder & O'Neill would be locks for two of them.

If we only give up Zednik for O'Neill, hell we still have all our prospects available to trade for another guy like Smyth for example.

Could you imagine that?

I'm just saying Gainey has the whole picture in front of him... and we don't.

If it's true that Gainey is not a big Zednik fan, then making the upgrade for O'Neill alone is still a good move.

But if it's not announced tomorrow, I think that'll mean the deal has fallen through.

Zednik for O'neill?

Have you lost your minds? This is not a smart move at all. O'neill make 2 millon dollars more per year than Zednik, and has 9 less goals. Zed has been getting better every year since becoming a habs, and even though he's in a slump, he should still score 25 goals this year. Zed is a 25-35 goal scorer who is tough, strong on his stakes, excellent on the boards, and he comes to play in big games... Playoffs 2002.

O'neill is a very good player, and I know he's scored 30 and even 40 goals in the NHL, but I don't think he's an upgrade on Zed as far as overall play goes. If you saw the game last night O'neill wasn't even noticable. While I would love the Habs to get him... I wouldn't move a roster player for him. Zednik just isn't a guy you trade at his age... he's only getting better. I know O'neill is the same age as Zed, but even so I don't want to lose our guy.

O'neill has scored in only 10 of 63 games this year... I mean I really like the guy, but not for Zednik. Zed's shooting % is about the same as last year... Only this year he's sharing those goals with Ryder and Ribs... Makes sense that he'll score 5-6 goals less this year. Now I know he has his faults, he's not a great passer, he sometimes takes bad penalties, he hangs on to the puck for too long, but at the end of the day he's a guy I want on my team... I'm in no rush whatsoever to move him.

Bring in O'neill... sure, but not for #20.

Now, Balej, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder FOR Hill and O'neill makes much more sense to me.

Something cool about Sean Hill ... read this quote....

Hard to believe, but defenceman Sean Hill actually has a no-trade clause in his deal in Carolina but the Hurricanes people will tell you he <b>won't</b> waive the clause for a deal to Toronto ...

Just for that Sean Hill now rules :clap:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040229/col_simmons-sun.html

And about the Zed for O'Neill/Hill deal , why would the Canes do it? Zednik and O'Neill are worth roughly the same (edge to O'Neill probably) , add they'd be adding Hill onto of it? Only good part about this trade for Canes is that they save money. Of course I'd do it if I was the habs ... I would not like to give up Zed (I'd like to add O'Neill without losing a roster player) , but come on... its a great deal

My .02...

O'Neill also disappears for large stretches...he's inconsistent and streaky in his scoring. He has more ability then Zednik though who is also streaky and disappears at times. I also think they are equally as "physical"...which for both of them just means strong on the puck. I do think O'Neill is overrated...I'd love to have him on the habs but too many people think too much of him. He's a little better then Zednik, and not 2 million dollars better either.

The real question when comparing them is the $$$$...btw, I think O'Neill is struggling because he's had his linemates juggled all year.

Hill only seems to do well in Carolina. He's not great at anything but he's not bad either. If he was a throw in on a deal like this because Carolina is dumping salary it's not bad but he is definitely not part of this teams future. Considering our current D situation he could help this year...don't see him having much of a role beyond this year though...so I don't see him waiving his no trade clause to come here either.

I think everyone needs to ask themselves this: Are we building for the future or are we good enough to make a run this year? I think clearly the answer is that we are building for the future. If we can make a deal like this without giving up any of our future then I'm okay with it...if we start giving up our future for guys like O'Neill and Hill I'll be very upset...especially with the lockout pending.

I one have to have in mind that in the end it's up to chemistry...

Remember Mariuz Czerkawski?

We know what Zednik adds to this team. O Niel is still a Hurrican and no-one can be certain if he ever would fit Habs needs.

So why trade Zednik for O'Neil? Seems like a stupid deal for both parts?

But if we have to give away a early pick and a less important player like Kilger or Dackell, then it would be a different story.

Bring in O'Neil but don't sacrifice Zednik.