Kovalev's fate

BCHabnut

Terrible game for him tonight, put us down for 8 minutes and really killed us. Two more years of excuses I guess. Uggg

Come on! Atleast two of those penalties were questionable calls and when he was out of the box, he was actually terrific.

Terrible game for him tonight, put us down for 8 minutes and really killed us. Two more years of excuses I guess. Uggg

Those penalty's sucked your right he always seems to get unsportsmanlike and I would really like to know why. He does not bang his stick or yell but always says "something" to the ref. Other than that Kovalev was a force tonight and created a lot of chances.

so, if he's just a little over the hill now, in two years, being bob gainey, would you sign him again? if so, for how long? (never mind the money figure... just the length of the contract...)

GO :hlogo: GO!

Ask me again in two years. But I think he'll have another year left in him after that. Of course, he'll retire after we cin the cup in 2009! B)

I dont buy the fact that Kovalev needs better teammates to produce.

He's incredibly talented but just doesnt want to give it his all every night.

This guy scored like 64 points in 54 games in Pittsburgh in 2002-03 playing with Jan freakin Hrdina and another nobody on his other wing.

Jan 'Freakin' Hrdina has a hell of a lot more offensive talent than Thomas 'Hands of Stone' Plekanec.

Jan 'Freakin' Hrdina has a hell of a lot more offensive talent than Thomas 'Hands of Stone' Plekanec.

not nice but funny... :lool: :lool: :lool: :lool: :lool: :lool: :lool:

not nice but funny... :lool: :lool: :lool: :lool: :lool: :lool: :lool:

If he was a fighter, that would have been a compliment. But, he's not a fighter...and he's not Ronnie Garvin (a little reference for you wrestling fans out there)...so....you know.

...had to do this in favour of my 'soft hands habs fav'... :hockey:

Samsonov = eyes = Kovalev = learning = another deadly 5 years... :?-

...for all of my friends that did not pass grade 4 math (don't be offended, it's okay, we were all too busy watching the game to study)... :clap:

At practices, teammates watch each other like hawks, and a perfect example is Ryder's stick-handling. A year ago his finesse was very, very low. Sure, the effort was there, but everything is learning. This year we see some constant imporvements. Don't get me wrong, he has a long way to go, and will never have Kovi's hands (he'd have to shorten his stick too...). You can tell that many guys on the roster spend time watching Alex' hands. But in the case of Samsonov, a guy like this can learn, and learn, and learn AK's 'language' (pun intended) and has years of great wheels ahead of him. It's like a big bro - little bro thing. We all get to watch this happen, and they paractice and play together NOW, this year... We get to see the improvements as they happen, and they will. It truly is part of this years cup run.

This doesn't take away from Kovi, but it puts him in the quiet vet's position, where he passes on his trade... ...a great role for a great guy.

If the ego's are in the right place, Sam's developement will produce a quicker, new and improved shiny Kovalev in the end, but his shirt # will read 15 :hlogo:, not 27 :hlogo: . AK's future words... "I taught him that!" Bob Gainey will have to bank on Sam, and the GM man is brilliant, so I have little fear. If Alex 'fell down' permanently this year or next :( , I believe we would see Sam slip into a lot of what Kovalev is and would be if younger and healthier. For you older guys, remember the speed of Russ Cortnall in a habs jersey? Slip that into the soft hands of a Kovalev :wacko: ... Everybody, put on your "Depends"... 'cause if all goes as it appears it may, the future opposition is either going to dump in their pants or feel like it as Sam blows by (on the outside, the inside, the inside out or the outside in).

So, just keep them (AK & SS) together, and keep them happy. The future is bright...IMHO. And all this rambling doesn't even touch on Higgins or Latendresse and other young players who are all watching, and learning...

Cheers, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year all, stay safe, so we can all enjoy 'the world's best game' for a long time! My New Years resolution is, "I Promise to be at the Stanley Cup Parade in MTL this year." How about you?

J

...had to do this in favour of my 'soft hands habs fav'... :hockey:

Samsonov = eyes = Kovalev = learning = another deadly 5 years... :?-

...for all of my friends that did not pass grade 4 math (don't be offended, it's okay, we were all too busy watching the game to study)... :clap:

At practices, teammates watch each other like hawks, and a perfect example is Ryder's stick-handling. A year ago his finesse was very, very low. Sure, the effort was there, but everything is learning. This year we see some constant imporvements. Don't get me wrong, he has a long way to go, and will never have Kovi's hands (he'd have to shorten his stick too...). You can tell that many guys on the roster spend time watching Alex' hands. But in the case of Samsonov, a guy like this can learn, and learn, and learn AK's 'language' (pun intended) and has years of great wheels ahead of him. It's like a big bro - little bro thing. We all get to watch this happen, and they paractice and play together NOW, this year... We get to see the improvements as they happen, and they will. It truly is part of this years cup run.

This doesn't take away from Kovi, but it puts him in the quiet vet's position, where he passes on his trade... ...a great role for a great guy.

If the ego's are in the right place, Sam's developement will produce a quicker, new and improved shiny Kovalev in the end, but his shirt # will read 15 :hlogo:, not 27 :hlogo: . AK's future words... "I taught him that!" Bob Gainey will have to bank on Sam, and the GM man is brilliant, so I have little fear. If Alex 'fell down' permanently this year or next :( , I believe we would see Sam slip into a lot of what Kovalev is and would be if younger and healthier. For you older guys, remember the speed of Russ Cortnall in a habs jersey? Slip that into the soft hands of a Kovalev :wacko: ... Everybody, put on your "Depends"... 'cause if all goes as it appears it may, the future opposition is either going to dump in their pants or feel like it as Sam blows by (on the outside, the inside, the inside out or the outside in).

So, just keep them (AK & SS) together, and keep them happy. The future is bright...IMHO. And all this rambling doesn't even touch on Higgins or Latendresse and other young players who are all watching, and learning...

Cheers, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year all, stay safe, so we can all enjoy 'the world's best game' for a long time! My New Years resolution is, "I Promise to be at the Stanley Cup Parade in MTL this year." How about you?

J

You know, I hope you're right, but what about the "non-hands" related aspects of Kovy's game. I mean, he's much bigger than Sammy, and I think that would make a big difference in the ability to pull off the moves he pulls off.

Anyway, I'm willing to be patient; the line is looking better lately.

You know, I hope you're right, but what about the "non-hands" related aspects of Kovy's game. I mean, he's much bigger than Sammy, and I think that would make a big difference in the ability to pull off the moves he pulls off.

Anyway, I'm willing to be patient; the line is looking better lately.

Sound thinking...

The cup ain't next week, either is the All Star break... I think health is the biggest issue, and mental health and humility in the dressing room is and WILL BE huge in the 2nd half... The boys have been flying as a TEAM... Lets hope it stays that way...

J

ps Washington ... the latest victim of :hlogo: :clap:

Cheers!

It's the same old routine with Kovy, it's been like this everywhere he's played. Some nights he's godly, some nights you wonder how he could possibly be earning what he does.

It's ok, it's just the kind of player he is. He's never really changed his playing style and at this point in his career don't count on it happening either.

When Kovalev was beginning his career in New York, Mike Keenan once kept Kovalev on the ice for four minutes to get his attention.

Needless to say, it didn't work. Kovalev was actually later quoted as saying that he didn't want to change anything since he did everything right.

I hate to be stereotypical, but it's like that with some uber talented European players. They have plenty of skill when they're young, they don't listen their coaches and thus never make the transition to being superstars. If someone could have figured out how to get inside Kovalev's head, the result might have been be another Jagr.

It's the same old routine with Kovy, it's been like this everywhere he's played. Some nights he's godly, some nights you wonder how he could possibly be earning what he does.

It's ok, it's just the kind of player he is. He's never really changed his playing style and at this point in his career don't count on it happening either.

So true. I think the thing with Kovy is you either accept him as he is, or you just try not to have him on your team, but there's no changing him... too late, and he's very good at what he does, just that it's frustrating since you know he could be SO much better...

Seriously though, wouldn't you rather have the "attitude" problem of Kovy over the "attitude" problem of Micky Ribs? I know I would. The team's really improved and this is just another indication.