My New NHL and my vision of Hockey in the world.

Ok maybe i was stoned, but i thought about THE way i would like to see hockey in 10-15 years. here it is.

NHL down to 15 teams all playing in the same division.

Montréal

Toronto

Vancouver

Ottawa

Calgary OR Edmonton

Detroit

Minnessota

Buffalo

Pittsburgh

Philly

New York Rangers

Anaheim

San Jose

Chicago

Boston

Playing 4 games each others so 56 games total. Playoffs 8 firsts: 1-8 2-7 3-6 4-5.

This would be Stanley Cup.

So it would let 15 others full teams gone... that means around 300 players.

Now, imagine these 300 players going to play in Europe in any team of the differents leagues in

Russia

Swiss

Finland

Czech

Sweden

Slovakia

It would be just like soccer. Each league would have their own Championship around the same time period.

At the end, we would see a kind of Champion League with 32 teams coming from all over the world. They'd need to qualify, we could have 6 teams from NHL, 6 from Russia, 3 from Sweden, etc...

Group stage :

A Montréal Canadian, Toronto Maple Leafs, Davos and Dynamo Moscow.

B Philly Flyers, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Zvolen Slovakia, Modo Sweden.

C etc....

Every 4 years, we would have a World Cup, when all the leagues would be done with their playoffs or in the middle of the seasons. There would be also Olympics tournament evey 4 years...

WOW !!!!!! When i woke up, and it was all wet around me... GOSH.

Edited by JoeLassister

WOW !!!!!! When i woke up, and it was all wet around me... GOSH.

Then maybe you shouldn't be having that glass of milk right before bedtime. At least I hope for your sake that's what it is.

yeah me too.

no offense.

But you keep Anaheim but dump LA Kings?

You keep the teams that are strong and you dump the teams that aren't.

Florida is one that must go or move.

Small market Canadian cities can handle the NHL, they'd just have to follow the Green Bay Packers model.

Personally I'd like to see a team back in Hartford.

yeah me too.

no offense.

Small market Canadian cities can handle the NHL, they'd just have to follow the Green Bay Packers model.

Killing the Battle of Alberta is a little dumb too.

yeah me too.

no offense.

No, i keep the teams where hockey is a passion and fun to watch. (i'm not sure for Anaheim and San Jose but i like those teams B)

Killing the Battle of Alberta is a little dumb too.

yeah i know, maybe we could keep both and screw Ottawa... fans outhere piss me off...

Anyway, teams in NHL are not the main point of this topic, it's more about the format.

• 2 years later...
What ? it's easy. 5 or 6 strong leagues instead of just one, just like soccer.

Why emulate sucker, er, soccer?

Shitty model.

Norris, Smythe, Patrick, Adams > Prince of Wales, Campbell > Stanley Cup finals.

That's the ultimate model, period.

Why emulate sucker, er, soccer?

Shitty model.

Norris, Smythe, Patrick, Adams > Prince of Wales, Campbell > Stanley Cup finals.

That's the ultimate model, period.

When more and more Euros will go KHL or other futures leagues, will you still like Chipchura and Garth Murray type players on 3rd lines ? Not a big fan here...

When more and more Euros will go KHL or other futures leagues, will you still like Chipchura and Garth Murray type players on 3rd lines ? Not a big fan here...

Pfff. Euros that go back home arent 3rd liners, they're offensive guys. They'll be replaced with offensive guys toiling in the AHL right now... or offensive North-Americans in Europe that will come back here.

It's a non-problem. The NHL is and should remain the world elite league that attracts all elite talent and the Stanley Cup stay attached to the NHL and remain the emblem of hockey supremacy. Your idea basically says other leagues could be considered on the same level. That's heresy.

Pfff. Euros that go back home arent 3rd liners, they're offensive guys. They'll be replaced with offensive guys toiling in the AHL right now... or offensive North-Americans in Europe that will come back here.

It's a non-problem. The NHL is and should remain the world elite league that attracts all elite talent and the Stanley Cup stay attached to the NHL and remain the emblem of hockey supremacy. Your idea basically says other leagues could be considered on the same level. That's heresy.

:lol: had to check in a english to french dictionnary for "heresy" and then in a french dictionnary for "hérésie" :lol:

But yeah, I believe heresy is possible in our hockey world. Just imagine if 4-5 actuals NHL owners sell their team and go buy some European teams, joined by Balsilie, Cuban, 3-4 Arabic oil magnates who sudently like hockey, etc...

Crazy, would not be fun for the NHL, but... how's this so impossible ? Every empire can fall.

I'll even push my luck and make a Nostradamus prediction here :

In 2025, at least one other league in Europe will be attracting big players. You read it here.

:lol: had to check in a english to french dictionnary for "heresy" and then in a french dictionnary for "hérésie" :lol:

But yeah, I believe heresy is possible in our hockey world. Just imagine if 4-5 actuals NHL owners sell their team and go buy some European teams, joined by Balsilie, Cuban, 3-4 Arabic oil magnates who sudently like hockey, etc...

Crazy, would not be fun for the NHL, but... how's this so impossible ? Every empire can fall.

I'll even push my luck and make a Nostradamus prediction here :

In 2025, at least one other league in Europe will be attracting big players. You read it here.

I highly doubt hockey could become a sport as popular as soccer and warrant multiple leagues of comparable talent-level that could compete against each other.

Last time anything came close to that, it was the WHA and it was swallowed by the NHL, like the NFL swallowed the AFL.

What you want is the NHL to be reduced to between 20 and 25 teams and/or rosters reduced to 3 lines rather than 4 (but the NHLPA would never accept it)

Was that dream? or a nightmare? Contracting the league is a good idea, of course the short bald guy in charge don't agree but piss on him. 15 teams is too few. there are a solid 24 money making markets not located in deserts and beside gulfs. There should be 8 canadian teams and 16 american teams. Hamilton and Winnipeg or Quebec city possibly could be added. Hamilton (tronto) for sure. take the 6 worst american teams and kick their asses out. I know the Winny QC idea is controversial but surely we can get 2 more teams in canada if mlse falls asleep. Then forget the soccer thing lets keep and make the NHL the greatest league in the world. Oh and fire that short prique that is running it now. :hlogo: :lol:

Was that dream? or a nightmare? Contracting the league is a good idea, of course the short bald guy in charge don't agree but piss on him.

The Commish wouldn't be the biggest obstacle to contracting teams. The players union would never allow it.

The Commish wouldn't be the biggest obstacle to contracting teams. The players union would never allow it.

Well, depends on how the league is doing in 10 years...

The union's job is to keep players employed and well paid. The league would have to be on the verge of folding for the union to accept cutting the "workforce."

I mean, many players are gone, including some "big" names, in the KHL now and there is absolutely no indication that many more won't go as well. What if 50-75 players decide to leave over just a few seasons ?

No matter how strong the union is, if players decide to quit the union, what can they do about it ? Nothing.

Have you ever think of how the KHL could become powerful if on their 26th birthday, Malkin and Ovechkin both retire and join the KHL for 2M per season?

You (not only yourself) seem to think that the NHL crumbling is nowhere near possible. I don't share this opinion.

I mean, many players are gone, including some "big" names, in the KHL now and there is absolutely no indication that many more won't go as well. What if 50-75 players decide to leave over just a few seasons ?

No matter how strong the union is, if players decide to quit the union, what can they do about it ? Nothing.

Have you ever think of how the KHL could become powerful if on their 26th birthday, Malkin and Ovechkin both retire and join the KHL for 2M per season?

You (not only yourself) seem to think that the NHL crumbling is nowhere near possible. I don't share this opinion.

The union doesn't have to do anything about players leaving. Every single one of those guys who left has been replaced by another player who is in the union.

The NHL is not in any immediate danger of crumbling.

What exactly makes you think this? The league (as a whole) has been doing wonderfully financially since the lockout. We're talking league record revenues. Overall league attendance is on the rise. US television ratings are on the rise. These are all signs that the league is on the rise, not on the fall.

There are KHL teams that couldn't even pay their players. Their biggest grabs so far are an aging Jagr, Radulov, and Hudler. Why on Earth would Malkin or Ovechkin sign in Russia for 2 million a year? Do you really think either of them are going to forfeit 6-7 million a year to play in Russia? If US and Canadian stars don't sign for 2 million to stay near home, why would Geno or Ovie? Do you really think Geno would give up that much money just to have his mom cook for him?

The KHL is years away from being any sort of threat to the NHL. As I pointed out in another thread, it could actually be a good thing. If the KHL becomes viable, the players who would leave the NHL would be the guys who are only here because it is the highest paying league around. Yes, there would be a drop in the talent level, but we would be left with the guys who really want to be here. The guys who grew up dreaming of the Stanley Cup. The game would lose some flash, but it would gain a lot of heart. Personally, I think those things would off-set and we'd be just fine. Floating would be replaced by crashing the net. Pulling up in the corners would be replaced by thundering checks.

P.S. Why would players up and quit the union? Are they going to negotiate their own CBA and look out for themselves legally?

What exactly makes you think this? The league (as a whole) has been doing wonderfully financially since the lockout. We're talking league record revenues. Overall league attendance is on the rise. US television ratings are on the rise. These are all signs that the league is on the rise, not on the fall.

There are KHL teams that couldn't even pay their players. Their biggest grabs so far are an aging Jagr, Radulov, and Hudler. Why on Earth would Malkin or Ovechkin sign in Russia for 2 million a year? Do you really think either of them are going to forfeit 6-7 million a year to play in Russia? If US and Canadian stars don't sign for 2 million to stay near home, why would Geno or Ovie? Do you really think Geno would give up that much money just to have his mom cook for him?

The KHL is years away from being any sort of threat to the NHL. As I pointed out in another thread, it could actually be a good thing. If the KHL becomes viable, the players who would leave the NHL would be the guys who are only here because it is the highest paying league around. Yes, there would be a drop in the talent level, but we would be left with the guys who really want to be here. The guys who grew up dreaming of the Stanley Cup. The game would lose some flash, but it would gain a lot of heart. Personally, I think those things would off-set and we'd be just fine. Floating would be replaced by crashing the net. Pulling up in the corners would be replaced by thundering checks.

P.S. Why would players up and quit the union? Are they going to negotiate their own CBA and look out for themselves legally?

yark. You really want that ? Seriously ?