2013 NHL Draft

Commandant

Your top 2 are popular choices but;

Carrier is still out producing MacKinnon and all Q 2013 prospects, on another bottom dwelling Cape Breton team, but hardly mentioned (i assume he will be traded to a contender?)

Big Mantha is #1 scorer

and Drouin is tearing up the Q at over 2 PPG.

but all we hear about is how much greater Mackinnon is? If he was headed for a 150point season

Similar to Seth Jones, who did look super in 1 game i did see (and maybe getting better every game), but there are several WHL d-prospects who may be fairly equal choices, like Pulock, Morrissey, Theodore (on a crappy team), Roy? And you have an OHLer like Nurse who is as big and much more physical than Jones isnt he (but may lack all-round skill)?

Montreal wont benefit from the lockout as the draft ill be based on how teams finished the last Three years and not just based on Last season..Makes it likely we;ll draft between 5th and 8th. Leafs could get MacKINNON, OR THE rUSSIAN WINGER.

Montreal wont benefit from the lockout as the draft ill be based on how teams finished the last Three years and not just based on Last season..Makes it likely we;ll draft between 5th and 8th. Leafs could get MacKINNON, OR THE rUSSIAN WINGER.

Yes, now that i see how lottery sets up. Habs would be much better to play a short season and ensure a top 15 pick and let Flames also, most likely, finish out of playoffs again, thus giving a nice early 2nd round pick to Habs.

Dont really care too much about Leafs, they are disfunctional enough to stay mediocre for next while with Brainiac at the helm.

Top 30 look good, but

Still not sold on Domi as a 1st rounder, maybe classless father has something to do with that? Still am more a Carrier, Mantha and Theodore promoter and would take all 3 before Domi.

Is Zadorov, this years Oleksiak/McIlrath, will go 1st round but is overrated mostly due to size and likely will just be another pylon or bust?

Gauthier isnt a 1st rounder is he?

Drouin over 2 PPG and must be a consideration for #1 isnt he? Or do you think MacKinnon is a big factor in Drouin's production?

1) Domi has 33 points in 24 OHL games... is a near elite skater... a great playmaker... has good hockey sense and a heck of a shot. And you aren't conviced he's a first rounder because his dad was a meat head?

2) Zadorov has more offensive talent than McIlrath, and a better defensive game than Oleksiak.

3) Gauthier is on the cusp. Remember that outside the top 11 i haven't included many Euros. Some will get filtered into this list after the WJC and the huge amount will come after the U18. The Euros I've seen is because they played U18 last year. I've seen a game or two of the Hlinka too, but only as a baseline for guys, not enough to rank them yet.

4) Only Woodlief has him contending for MacKinnon's spot. I think Drouin is top 5, but I think MacKinnon is clearly better.

1) Domi has 33 points in 24 OHL games... is a near elite skater... a great playmaker... has good hockey sense and a heck of a shot. And you aren't conviced he's a first rounder because his dad was a meat head?

2) Zadorov has more offensive talent than McIlrath, and a better defensive game than Oleksiak.

3) Gauthier is on the cusp. Remember that outside the top 11 i haven't included many Euros. Some will get filtered into this list after the WJC and the huge amount will come after the U18. The Euros I've seen is because they played U18 last year. I've seen a game or two of the Hlinka too, but only as a baseline for guys, not enough to rank them yet.

4) Only Woodlief has him contending for MacKinnon's spot. I think Drouin is top 5, but I think MacKinnon is clearly better.

Not only, he is/has played on a pretty stacked team, hasnt impressed me in any game i have seen and i just think he will be a Nigel Dawes-type player and if name was Max Jones he also wouldnt be rated as highly (not that i am saying you are influenced by a name, but our media is based in Toronto and Domi was one of golden boys).

So i could buy a 2nd round pick for him (much better than, say a Mitch Moroz).

Only seen Zadorov play once and he seemed fine, even a bit more physical than expected, but always question big guys feet (thankfully Tinordi seems quite mobile)

Euros and Americans seem hard to judge, with different leagues/competition levels.

I am just not sold on media darlings MacKinnon/Jones. If Nate was separating himself from his peers on scoresheet i wouldnt be questioning, but your #22 is equal in points and your #14 has more goals, he plays with Drouin, who could be best playmaker, he plays in the Q, against few 1st/2nd round d-men, that, say, Shinkaruk has to contend with.

I equate it to Taylor vs Tyler crap, when Skinner/Granlund were likely equals but didnt have the media hype and the media just beats that horse till next year's cant miss duo is named.

In the end, you (and most scouts) are likely bang-on, but i dont see it as that clear cut yet and I got to pull for an underdog i suppose.

Just how good is Eric Comrie? Is he the best goalie for 2013?

The last lock-out the Habs picked up a pretty good one from Tri-City, from the sounds of his play lately he might not be a bad pick also?

If you are looking for a positive spin on the lockout, perhaps the notion that the Canadiens may not have an opportunity to trade away their picks! Alas, I believe they have extra picks. If there is no season, there is a chance that the Habs could pick 30th, the good news would be that they would also own the next pick in that scenerio. In the case of the extra picks, we would want the contributing team to draft higher(closer to first overall) in odd rounds and lower in even rounds.

The final piece of the fall draft rankings. Part 4: Those just outside the first round.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/12/02/2013-nhl-draft-november-rankings-honorable-mentions/

Nicolas Petan was overlooked? Or just missed just outside list? His numbers are hard to argue with, or is he another Gallagher and size is issue?

Where would you have Eric Roy, Mirco Muller and Madison Bowey, mid-late 2nd round?

Petan's size issues have me keeping him outside the first round and closer to a low 2nd/early 3rd at this point.

Bowey was listed at 25.

Roy and Muller, should be in the 2nd round bunch if i did a further ranking

Petan's size issues have me keeping him outside the first round and closer to a low 2nd/early 3rd at this point.

Bowey was listed at 25.

Roy and Muller, should be in the 2nd round bunch if i did a further ranking

Thanks

Sorry, i missed (forgot) seeing Bowey listed.

• 2 weeks later...

Petan size may be overlooked and be a sure bet for 1st round, if he keeps being the leading scorer for Portland; +33, 53pts in 30 games.

Seth Jones is now 4th in d-scoring, looking like real deal and better all the time.

• 2 months later...

Subban?

Is that an example of a reach/made up/unrealistic media interest choice?

If Habs are looking for a D at that spot, & Hagg or Ristolainen were still available, as his

mock suggests, would they seriously pass on them for Subban?

Subban seems like a reach but given the family pedigree, it's understandable to assume someone is going to take him higher than most expect.

Understood.

But to have Montreal specifically taking him, as opposed to a few other, more highly

rated guys at that position, seems overly human interest slant than realistic move.

Nothing against him at all, though. With a lower pick, I'm down. 1st pick, I'm not so sure.

For some reason, I'm hoping for Hagg.

I really liked what I saw of him in the tournament.