Perezhogin article

Habs77

Again, as usual, thanks to Bozo:

17.07.2003, 11:56  

Aleksandr Perezhogin: "I will go to play in the NHL, but not to earn."  

- His decision was made while training in Bulgaria,  

- Aleksandr speaks. - I reported everything to the club management. I discussed it with the President of Avangard, Anatoliy Bardin. He said that he would want to try the NHL himself. Anatoliy Fedorovich did not begin to object. On the contrary - he wished me success. Next day I look - it was written in large letters on the official site of the "kanadiyens": " Perezhogin signs contract for three years "...  

- In the two years since you were drafted by Montreal, they probably repeatedly tried to get you to sign a contract?  

- No. Even if they would have - at that time I would have chosen to remain in Omsk.  

- They indicated that you would spend the upcoming season in Omsk...  

- First, I will not lie, I planned also this year to choose in favor of Avangard. But the chance to play in the NHL, you will agree, is given to few. It would be foolish not to try it.

- What do you know about your new team?  

- This is a distinguished club with a rich tradition. True, Montreal now - as, however, the majority of the Canadian clubs - has known better times. They've missed the play-offs in four of five years.  

- Is there in the contract an item about the fact that you can for any reason return to Omsk?  

- If Montreal lets me go, - I will return. Although today, you will agree, it's early even to think about this. My task is to make the team. And, correspondingly, not to give the "kanadiyens" management occasion for dissatisfaction.  

- In the contract can they send you to the farm club?  

- If I play badly - yes.

- The total of 82 regular season matches doesn't frighten you?  

- In the past season I played exactly 100 games - if we include encounters for Avangard, national and youth teams. Moreover, I hope, in the NHL I will have the occasion to play a little more - in the playoffs it would be desirable to be let loose...

- Without bravado - do you consider yourself ready for the NHL?  

- I do not know... Time will tell. Are there easier questions?  

- There is - when you do leave?  

- The team assembles on 10 September. From that point on, begins the preparation for the season. So my airplane tickets will be bought at the end of August.  

- Nowadays almost no one attempts to leave - they fear a lock-out in 2004. But you signed for three years...  

- About this lock-out, it is more than talk. Well yes, it is understood by all that the hockey players' trade union will declare a strike. But it won't last forever, correct?  

- How is the attitude of the Montreal coaches toward young Russians?  

- An example is the Belorussian Andrey Kostitsyn. A fellow many feared to draft - panicky about his illness. The only team which dared to take a chance on him proved to be Montreal "kanadiyens", selecting Kostitsyn with the tenth overall pick. I think that answers the question.  

- After the 2003/04 season will you return to Omsk?  

- Of course. I would like to not return with empty hands, but with the Stanley Cup (he smiles).  

Aleksandr Lyutikov, Aleksandr Smirnov, " sport newspaper "

- translated and excerpted from http://avangard.omskreg.ru/index.phtml?id=...r=2003&Month=07