Koivu in the Sin Bin

lazy26

Can anyone tell me how often the other team scores when Koivu is in the penalty box? I feel that it must happen at least more than 50% of the time.

Originally posted by lazy26

Can anyone tell me how often the other team scores when Koivu is in the penalty box? I feel that it must happen at least more than 50% of the time.

Only 3 PP goals for the opponents on 10 Koivu penalties, but you're right, it does seem like it has happened more than that!

(Gionta's second goal last night, plus two by Satan on October 22.)

It does seem that often our team really struggles when Koivu is penalized. To me, that really indicates that he is very valuable on the penalty kill.

I don't mind the fact that he gets penalized because he is a man who plays with lots of intensity and those things will happen. I wouldn't even ask him to cool it a bit. We more than benefit from his play than we do from the potential problems with his penalty taking.

Originally posted by Dave from Vancouver

This will be even tougher to prove, but I think the reason it feels like the opposition always scores when Koivu's in the box, is because there have been a couple of instances where the team scored a second or two after the penalty expired.

Dave

Nope, the soonest anyone has scored after a Koivu penalty has expired is 1:04 after he was out of the box.

And once Ottawa scored during the second of two penalties that overlapped. Koivu's was the first of the two, but the Habs killed off the Koivu penalty 1:17 before the Ottawa goal.

Wow, I have no life! :)

:hlogo:

Originally posted by 1986Habs
Originally posted by Dave from Vancouver

This will be even tougher to prove, but I think the reason it feels like the opposition always scores when Koivu's in the box, is because there have been a couple of instances where the team scored a second or two after the penalty expired.

Dave

Nope, the soonest anyone has scored after a Koivu penalty has expired is 1:04 after he was out of the box.

And once Ottawa scored during the second of two penalties that overlapped. Koivu's was the first of the two, but the Habs killed off the Koivu penalty 1:17 before the Ottawa goal.

Wow, I have no life! :)

:hlogo:

Correction, my friend. Your life is the Habs. And that's not so bad, is it?

Welcome aboard!

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Where do you find this stuff?

I just have print-outs of the scoresheets from the 20 games this year. I thought it was an interesting question that lazy26 asked, so I quickly flipped through the scoresheets to check it out.