thankyou thankyou thankyou

un_habitant

I'm sorry, my Wayne Gretkzy title could stay no longer.

The previous post, my friends, was officially the worst post on this board to date.

un_habitant, I hope you will take back your offensive words. You do not realise how much they mean to the world.

You say:

"good ######ing lord--if that joke team had won i would have been sick"

You must be aware that they were created after the successful movie made by Disney. That is probably the basis of your argument, that they are a "joke team"

There is a large chance that you have grown up, or are growing up in North America. If that is so, it is most probable that you missed the effects of that movie on icehockey, both in North America and in the world.

There are no actual figures, but there are some reports that estimate an almost 300% increase of hockey registrars outside of North America, and about 150% in North America. This was in the year following that movie.

While the team was created from the movie, it has had certifiable stars on its team. It made the Stanley Cup Finals, and was narrowly beaten by a strong NJ team.

But both the movie, and now the team, have and continue to inspire people all around the world to play ice hockey.

While ice hockey registrars decreased in Iceland after the "Mighty Ducks 2" movie, they continued to rise, though not as much as in the first year. Even "Mighty Ducks 3", a waste of a movie if ever I saw one, put a little more life into non-hockey countries, if only to push the wagon just that little bit harder.

You are very fortunate to grow up in a hockey environment (assuming you are in northern North America). But around the world, we struggle to get people just to come watch pro-hockey games.

So I hope that, with your new understanding of the importance of hockey movies, particularly immature, kid-oriented ones, to the future of this sport, you can revel in the glory brought to ice hockey by the movies.

I just hope you pray to your "good ######ing lord" that we don't have a new movie called:

"Mighty Ducks 4: Relocation to Mexico City!"

[Edited on 2003/6/11 by TheAussiePosse]

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

I'm sorry, my Wayne Gretkzy title could stay no longer.

The previous post, my friends, was officially the worst post on this board to date.

un_habitant, I hope you will take back your offensive words.  You do not realise how much they mean to the world.

You say:

"good ######ing lord--if that joke team had won i would have been sick"

You must be aware that they were created after the successful movie made by Disney. That is probably the basis of your argument, that they are a "joke team"

There is a large chance that you have grown up, or are growing up in North America. If that is so, it is most probable that you missed the effects of that movie on icehockey, both in North America and in the world.

There are no actual figures, but there are some reports that estimate an almost 300% increase of hockey registrars outside of North America, and about 150% in North America. This was in the year following that movie.

While the team was created from the movie, it has had certifiable stars on its team. It made the Stanley Cup Finals, and was narrowly beaten by a strong NJ team.

But both the movie, and now the team, have and continue to inspire people all around the world to play ice hockey.

While ice hockey registrars decreased in Iceland after the "Mighty Ducks 2" movie, they continued to rise, though not as much as in the first year. Even "Mighty Ducks 3", a waste of a movie if ever I saw one, put a little more life into non-hockey countries, if only to push the wagon just that little bit harder.

You are very fortunate to grow up in a hockey environment (assuming you are in northern North America). But around the world, we struggle to get people just to come watch pro-hockey games.

So I hope that, with your new understanding of the importance of hockey movies, particularly immature, kid-oriented ones, to the future of this sport, you can revel in the glory brought to ice hockey by the movies.

I just hope you pray to your "good ######ing lord" that we don't have a new movie called:

"Mighty Ducks 4: Relocation to Mexico City!"

[Edited on 2003/6/11 by TheAussiePosse]

youve got to be kidding aussie....

first, i wont take anything back as there is nothing to "take back."

second. where do you get the gaul to tell me that my comments are a detriment to the rest of the world. I would like to invite you to ask me if i care.

i will not appologize for the fact that i am a purist with regard to hockey. the mighty ducks of anaheim are a mockery to the game and having their name on a cup so rich in history would be an even greater mockery.

i fail to understand how you can place the burden of a worldwide hockey explosion upon a disney movie. why on earth would i want snot nosed california yuppie children playing hockey because under a "quack, quack, qauck" rallying cry? so they can go to sleep at night clutching their velour "mighty duck" tucked underneath sheets of the same idiocy?

i couldnt give two shits about the bandwagon. if it takes disney along with emilio estevez in a starring role to get people watching and playing hockey i dont want those people involved in the game at all. diluting the fanbase (and subsequent talent base) under a disney product does not yield anything better.

it didnt take the "fabulous kangaroos" to get me interested in watching and occasionally playing rugby did it?

...of course not

its called being cultured. its the effort in attempting to understand the rest of the world around your own. (mind you, im not pinning this on you; i know that you are a cultured and intelligent person)

dont bother chiding me because im not on the some cruelty-free soy-crusade to get people to watch hockey.

youve got to be kidding aussie....

first, i wont take anything back as there is nothing to "take back."

second. where do you get the gaul to tell me that my comments are a detriment to the rest of the world. I would like to invite you to ask me if i care.

I accept the invitation, and ask you: (a) Do you care if your comments offend someone who is not as well off as you in the terms of hockey ability or hockey knowledge,

and

(B) What is your goal for hockey in the future? Revert back to 6 teams? Then you can really be a proud "purist". No? How about hockey expansion? Do you feel that we should not expand more than the 30 teams we have now, that we should not go over to Europe? I hope this wouldn't be a case of rascism, a case where only Canadians, or even Americans as well, only should be allowed to play in the NHL. But I"m sure that you're an open person who supports international hockey. I mean, geez, where would we be right now without Sweden? Lidstrom, Forsberg, Naslund, Sundin, etc.?

i will not appologize for the fact that i am a purist with regard to hockey. the mighty ducks of anaheim are a mockery to the game and having their name on a cup so rich in history would be an even greater mockery.

So how "pure" are you? Where does "purity" stop, and "mockery" start. What is your opinion of Quebec and Winnipeg moving to the USA? Do they become new teams? DO they move from "pure" to "mock"? What is the defining line? Will teams like Edmonton ever become "pure"? Will the Rangers eve become "mock"? IMO, the Rangers are a mockery to the NHL right now, history or not

i fail to understand how you can place the burden of a worldwide hockey explosion upon a disney movie. why on earth would i want snot nosed california yuppie children playing hockey because under a "quack, quack, qauck" rallying cry? so they can go to sleep at night clutching their velour "mighty duck" tucked underneath sheets of the same idiocy?

The reason you fail to understand it is because you obviously haven't been worldwide to see it. People don't really see "snot nosed california yuppie children playing hockey". They instead see kids like themselves who are playing hockey. And they want to be just like those kids. I applaud anyone who joined thinking they could be the next Mighty Duck. By now you will have realised that it won't happen, (same with everyone's dreams of making the NHL), but you still respect what the movie did for you.

i couldnt give two shits about the bandwagon. if it takes disney along with emilio estevez in a starring role to get people watching and playing hockey i dont want those people involved in the game at all. diluting the fanbase (and subsequent talent base) under a disney product does not yield anything better

Fortunately you're not in charge of hockey. I wonder how you'd feel in the boots of Rene Fasel, and not Gary Bettman. The future of hoceky is globalization, whether you like it or not. So you'll have to put up or shut up, because if the game doesn't expand, try things that are not "pure", but are new, then it will fail. And you'll be stuck watching college hockey or European hockey.

it didnt take the "fabulous kangaroos" to get me interested in watching and occasionally playing rugby did it?

...of course not

I'm glad it didn't. But if it had, then I would support you, not incriminate you

its called being cultured. its the effort in attempting to understand the rest of the world around your own. (mind you, im not pinning this on you; i know that you are a cultured and intelligent person)

I agree, it is called being cultured. And you have to look outside your own borders to really make an "effort" that "attempts to understand the rest of the world". I understand Americans have a problem with that. I really hope Canadians don't. There are some outstanding individuals from any country that set te example, and it always takes awhile until the public follows them. Let's hope it doesn't too long to realise the future of hockey.

dont bother chiding me because im not on the some cruelty-free soy-crusade to get people to watch hockey.

Oh, don't worry, I won't bother chiding you. But let me tell you, I eat Kangaroo meat (it's 90% fat-free, and high in protein!!!), and I am cruel to bugs. However, I will continue on my quest to globalize hockey. Whether you choose to stand with me or against me, that's your choice. But when I stand valiantly on top of the mountain (or am dead and looking on as a ghost or wahtever), I hope that you respect everything the non-north-Americans have done for the sport.

Disney included

:hockey:

"Oh, don't worry, I won't bother chiding you. But let me tell you, I eat Kangaroo meat (it's 90% fat-free, and high in protein!!!), and I am cruel to bugs. However, I will continue on my quest to globalize hockey. Whether you choose to stand with me or against me, that's your choice. But when I stand valiantly on top of the mountain (or am dead and looking on as a ghost or wahtever), I hope that you respect everything the non-north-Americans have done for the sport.

Disney included "

aussie,

i only found it necessary to respond to this bit. you really do a good job of blanketing the scope of my anti mighty ducks sentiments onto irrelevant points. if you read my previous post i am only saying that the mighty ducks are a mockery to the game--a team based on a kids movie has no place in the league.....its really simple.

if that team had no affiliation with disney and were called the anaheim ducks or something else i would have rooted for them against the devils.

this has nothing to do with the rest of the world--i just dont care enough to appologize for saying i dont want a disney team in the league!

please....get it straight.

:nono::nono::wall::wall::

It's like talking to a brick wall.

I guess when you don't want to admit you're wrong, it's impossible to try and change your mind.

Oh well.

At least we agree on one thing: :ghg:

It's like talking to a brick wall.

I guess when you don't want to admit you're wrong, it's impossible to try and change your mind.

Oh well.

At least we agree on one thing: :ghg:

what a joke....

go on....tell me where i am hiding in the error of my ways...lmao

:guru::guru::guru:

aussie....

if you fail to understand the very simple reason why i detest the ducks so much, then im afraid, at this point, the onus remains with you to come to an understanding....

it seems that you are bent on trying to pinpoint a nefarious air to my opinions, while illustrating your objections as exclusively right(eous)....thats fine....do what you will.

i've never aimed for pleaseing everyone and im not about to do it now...plainly speaking, we prioritize very different things with regard to hockey and there is nothing wrong with that--just dont confuse the existing disparity with "right and wrong..."

now be off on your many crusades :/)

Aight, here it is one last time:

I don't care about your opinion of the Ducks.

As of this moment in time, the Ducks have withdrawn, and there is now only 29 teams in the league.

This post is now on the subject of hockey 'purity':

I will not appologize for the fact that i am a purist with regard to hockey

All I wanted to know in my previous post was how pure you are. Nothing about the team that before this post was known as the "Ducks". But when you regard yourself as "pure", I'm just curious about how pure, and in what sense. Are certain teams 'pure', and others not? What is the basis of your idea of 'purity'?

No need to get defensive (yet), it's just a matter of opinions, as you've stated.

So if you can let me know that, without referring to the team formerly known as the "Ducks", that'd be great.

And we could continue to argue in a sensible, mature fashion, using intriguing ideas, witty commentary, and important historical references to further eachother's goals.

Have a nice day :)

<<<All I wanted to know in my previous post was how pure you are. Nothing about the team that before this post was known as the "Ducks". But when you regard yourself as "pure", I'm just curious about how pure, and in what sense. Are certain teams 'pure', and others not? What is the basis of your idea of 'purity'?

No need to get defensive (yet), it's just a matter of opinions, as you've stated.

So if you can let me know that, without referring to the team formerly known as the "Ducks", that'd be great.

And we could continue to argue in a sensible, mature fashion, using intriguing ideas, witty commentary, and important historical references to further eachother's goals.

Have a nice day >>>

I really do not see how my comment regarding purity is cryptic....lol

my initial post attacked the ducks and disney...right? right.

obviously, this points a huge finger at the outlandish possibility that i would prefer the NHL without a novelty team based on a childrens' movie...

is that too much to ask?

[Edited on 2003/6/28 by un_habitant]:P:ghg:

[Edited on 2003/6/28 by un_habitant]

Soooooooooooooooooooooo...

You're pure as far as the other 29 teams are concerned...

But a team sponsored by Disney recieves the black mark without a trial...

OK...

IMO, there are plenty teams that are more of a joke than a team owned by Disney...

the New York Rangers are the most commonly known. The Toronto Maple Leafs, (aka, the Yankees of the NHL). Up until 2 seasons ago, the New York Islanders, and until last season with Khabibulin, the Tampa Bay Lightning.

They were all jokes once. But there are 2 original 6 teams, and the Isles won 4 straight Stanley Cups. So how can they be a joke?

I guess this thread is over, seeing as we're done talking about the Ducks, and have moved on to the NHL as a whole.

I wonder which thread is next...

Soooooooooooooooooooooo...

You're pure as far as the other 29 teams are concerned...

But a team sponsored by Disney recieves the black mark without a trial...

OK...

IMO, there are plenty teams that are more of a joke than a team owned by Disney...

the New York Rangers are the most commonly known. The Toronto Maple Leafs, (aka, the Yankees of the NHL). Up until 2 seasons ago, the New York Islanders, and until last season with Khabibulin, the Tampa Bay Lightning.

They were all jokes once. But there are 2 original 6 teams, and the Isles won 4 straight Stanley Cups. So how can they be a joke?

I guess this thread is over, seeing as we're done talking about the Ducks, and have moved on to the NHL as a whole.

I wonder which thread is next...

Yep,

the disney connection is annointed with a scarlett D, or some other suitable letter.

no exceptions...

expansion teams dont irk me quite as much in that they represent what is wrong with the top tier of league management (bettman's expansion fetish)...otherwise, i'd much prefer to see a tampa, minnesota, or some other expansion team have more success than the ducks...

yeah the rangers are a joke....so are the leafs among other teams but their crimes pale in comparison to that of the anaheim mighty ducks...(yes, that was a bit of hyperbole for the thread but also quite serious....never hurts to lighten the mood a little :king: )