Final marks for prospects who are done for the year

bobby

This thread welcomes Mathieu Carle... :( The underdog Rouyn-Noranda Huskies exceeded expectations by winning two playoff rounds, but they came up empty agains Jonathan Bernier and the Lewiston Mainiacs. Mathieu was good in the final game by the looks of it, he had two points on just 3 R-N goals in the game and led the team with 6 shots. Overall he finishes with 16 points in 16 games in the post season, the third or fourth highest scoring defenseman for the playoffs. I never get a chance to watch Carle play, but I am encouraged that he seemed to bounce back from a mid season slump and the trade that brought him to the Huskies. I'm also encouraged by the way some of his fellow defense prospects from the Q have performed, especially M-E Vlasic in San Jose. Kris Letang, Luc Bourdon, Sebastien Bisaillon, Keith Yandle, are other Q defenders who have played in the NHL at 19 or (barely) 20 years of age. Carle is very similar to these players in style and accomplishment. He was rated ahead of all of them except Bourdon coming into junior.

Barely having seen him play, I like the fact that he led most of the skills tests at the Prospects Game among defensemen. He was the overall best skater there among defensemen and had one of the hardest shots as well. His passing and offensive sense seem top rate, and are the two qualities most often remarked upon in any assessment of him. Size is not an asset necessarily, but it should not be an issue, either. At 6-0 or 6-1, he has the naturally stocky build to play at around 225 or 230 pounds. So, what's not to like?.... :)

I listened to several of Noranda's playoff games and it sounded like Carle did really well. He put up good numbers on a low scoring team but also seemed to be solid in his own end. I would like to see him in Hamilton even if he doesn't play in any games, just to get him with the team plus Cote is likely done for the playoffs, so the Dogs are down to 6 defensemen.