Corey Locke named OHL MVP, again

Leafs Suck

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...BNStory/Sports/

Toronto — There will more construction and cleaning in Corey Locke's house.

Locke has won the Red Tilson Trophy as the Ontario Hockey League's MVP for the second year in a row.

The 19-year-old Ottawa 67's centre can add that award to the league scoring title he also won for the second straight year. Parents Don and Carole will have some work to do in their house in Newmarket.

"I guess dad's got to make a new shelf somewhere," Locke said Tuesday from Ottawa.

"But I don't think that's a problem," he added with a laugh. "I think that's one of the chores my dad likes doing and he'll keep doing it as long as he has to if they keep coming like this.

"My mom can dust them. My mom likes looking at them."

Locke became the fourth player in the 60-year history of MVP award to win it twice in a row, following Brad Boyes of the Erie Otters (2001, 2002), Alyn McCauley of the 67's (1996, 1997) and Andre Lacroix of the Peterborough Petes (1965, 1966).

He was the third player to win back-to-back scoring titles along with Windsor's Peter Sarno (1998, 1999) and St. Catharines' Marcel Dionne (1970, 1971).

Locke had 51 goals and 67 assists in 65 games. He was captain of the 67's, who finished in first place in the East Division before losing in seven games in the first round of playoffs to the Brampton Battalion.

Many wondered if Locke could produce even close to the same performance he had during the 2002-03 season, when won the Canadian Hockey League's scoring title and MVP with 63 goals and 88 assists in 66 games.

He and linemates Matt Foy and Scott Sheppard had almost magical chemistry. Foy graduated to the pro ranks and Sheppard was traded to London.

Locke played with a younger, more inexperienced team this past season.

He was trying to produce a lot of offence to help his team win. But the Montreal Canadiens, who drafted him the fourth round last year, had also told him to work on the defensive side of his game if he wanted to play for them.

"You're trying to concentrate on that for them, but at the same time, you know that your team is going to do a lot better and get a few more wins if you're putting up big numbers game in and game out," Locke said. "I was torn between two things and sometimes you try to get doing too much and it takes away from your game.

"It's been an adjustment, but it worked out in the end for me."

The resilient Locke proved his talent again under different conditions and circumstances, which resulted in a second MVP award.

"He had a greater impact this year because last year he had an awful lot of help," 67's coach Brian Kilrea said, pointing out that Ottawa had graduated a lot of high-end talent coming into this season. "He was the big difference why we could challenge.

"He had to take two relatively inexperienced goalscorers and play as a different line. He made Mark Mancari better, he made Julian Talbot better and they became our lead line. They were the ones who were scoring the bulk of our goals."

The five-foot-nine, 175-pound Locke plays a smart game, anticipates the play well and has a great touch around the net.

Locke remains unsigned by the Canadiens. He doesn't expect much to happen while they are still in the playoffs.

"As of now, I'm a 67 still until I hear from Montreal or they offer a contract or they want me to play in Hamilton," he said.

If he remains unsigned, Locke could be back in Ottawa next season as an overage player. A labour disruption at the NHL level next season could also keep him a 67 for another season if he does sign a contract.

"Right now, it's a waiting game," he said. "You think of all the possibilities. One day you're thinking you could play for the Hamilton Bulldogs. The other time you hear something and you think it makes more sense if I'm back in Ottawa.

"I don't know when things are going to get sorted out and where I'm going to end up."

[Edited on 2004/4/28 by Leafs Suck]