Dan Ryder Suspended by QC Flames

Electron

Saw something on the net, was intrigued myself

In a story which appeared in the Moline, Ill. Dispatch newspaper, Bonavista's Daniel Ryder admitted there was a time this summer when he didn't think he'd be playing hockey this winter.

Ryder missed a week of the Calgary Flames' training camp while tending to "personal issues".

"It was a personal decision," said Ryder, who has a goal and three assists through three AHL games with the Quad City Flames.

"At the time, I wasn't going to play hockey this year. After a bit, I decided I did want to play. I think part of not coming to camp was that my fitness level wasn't what it needed to be and I wanted to get that up."

Calgary general manager Darryl Sutter told the newspaper the Flames felt his, "18-year-old year (in the OHL) was much better than his 19-year-old year and that was a concern.

"He's a young man who is trying to decide whether he wants to be a hockey player or not. He's back now, but I think he's still deciding." ...

Seems pretty talented, just not interested in playing pro hockey.

It's an interesting story really. Perhaps he wasn't too enthused with the whole lifestyle of the hockey player - I assume he'd have firsthand experience from seeing what his brother's been up to in Montreal and riding the buses in Quebec prior to that. Surprising, though.

I have a funny feeling there may be drug or alcohal related issues but I havent found anything to support that arguement.

It's an interesting story really. Perhaps he wasn't too enthused with the whole lifestyle of the hockey player - I assume he'd have firsthand experience from seeing what his brother's been up to in Montreal and riding the buses in Quebec prior to that. Surprising, though.

Dan played junior in the OHL, not the Q. Prior to the Fog Devils entering the Q in 2005, junior players from NL could play in whatever league they wished to, as no league has territorial rights here.

And that quote from Dan is not that recent. That story ran locally here back in September.

Edited by RobRock

I know that, it's all I could find on the net - there's nothing regarding his latest disapperance.

If you read my post correctly, you'll see I'm referring to Dan's brother (Michael Ryder) playing in Quebec (for the AHL Citadelles) and Montreal...I have no idea where Dan Ryder played junior hockey and couldn't care less to be honest.

Or at least that was my intention :P

Edited by smon