Ryder comments on WHA & Lockout

Spider-Man NL

TT.bmp

By ROBIN SHORT, Telegram Sports Editor

Michael Ryder

Michael Ryder may be back in Hamilton next season, but not with the American Hockey League’s Bulldogs.

The yet-to-be named Hamilton franchise in the fledgling WHA, a revival of the old World Hockey Association, made Ryder the fourth overall pick in its draft Saturday, behind Simon Gagne, Travis Green and Dany Heatley.

Harold Druken of St. John’s was tabbed in the 13th round, 98th overall by Halifax.

Ryder is a restricted free agent, but the Montreal Canadiens have qualified him, giving him a minimum 10 per cent raise on the $605,000 US he earned last season, which guarantees the Bonavista native $665,500 US next year.

However, whether there is a next season for the NHL is the big question surrounding hockey these days.

A lockout seems all but certain.

And that means several veteran NHLers are starting to seek alternate employment.

Many, like Boston Bruins star Joe Thornton, are considering playing overseas. Thornton has already signed with a Swiss team, but has an out clause in the contract if the NHL avoids a labour stoppage.

“I’m not sure what I’m going to do,” Ryder said Sunday night from Deer Lake, where he’s instructing at former Canadiens teammate Darren Langdon’s hockey school.

“I’ve played in Hamilton. I know the town. But I just found this out (his drafting by the WHA team) 20 minutes ago so I haven’t had time to think about it.”

Ryder had 34 goals and 67 points for the AHL’s Bulldogs two years ago. Last season, he surprised many by making the Canadiens in training camp and then enjoyed a tremendous season, leading all NHL rookies with 25 goals and 63 points.

He was runner-up to Boston Bruins goalie Andrew Raycroft for NHL rookie of the year.

Ryder’s agent, Thane Campbell of Toronto, is looking into other options for his client, although the right-winger remains optimistic there will be hockey next year.

Wants to keep playing

“I’m proceeding ahead like there will be hockey,” Ryder said. “But if there’s a lockout, I want to play somewhere.

“Especially at this stage of my career,” added the 24-year-old. “I’m just starting out. I can’t afford to lose a year.”

Langdon, however, isn’t as fearful.

The 33-year-old Deer Lake product, a veteran of 507 NHL games who just signed a two-year free agent contract with the New Jersey Devils, won’t be playing hockey if there’s a lockout.

“I’ll be Ski-Dooing and moose hunting,” Langdon said Sunday night.

But he’ll likely be involved in some way with his second-favourite team, the Deer Lake Red Wings of the Labatt West Coast Senior Hockey League.

“I’ll definitely be doing something with them,” he said, “even if it’s just being a big fan.”

Meanwhile, the WHA held its amateur draft Sunday and Doug O’Brien of St. John’s was selected by the Quebec entry in the 14th round, 107th overall.

O’Brien was named top defenceman in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League this season while toiling for the Gatineau Olympiques.

O’Brien is a draft pick of the Tampa Bay Lightning.

rshort@thetelegram.com

Ryder.bmp