An OK gift for a major Habs fan ??

wonderless

My Stepfather is the most Habs-obsessed person I have ever met! (He even convinced my mom to let him paint our basement red, white, and blue!)

Now that I am living in Montreal, he hinted that some Habs things would make nice gifts for his birthday next month. And after I mentioned this to my boss, the next day he gave me his copy of "Lions in Winter" (which I know my stepfather already has), signed on the inside by Allan Turowetz (one of the authors), Doug Harvey, Maurice Richard, and Henri Richard. I know this would be something cool for him to have, but I'm not sure if a hard-core fan is turned off by autographs he didn't collect himself. And if I was to give it to him, would it ruin the book if I were to stop by the Bell center and get some signs from current players ? (I can't wait until the first home game!!)

eehh...help me guys :?-

I don't think the signatures would "ruin" it for him.

With that said, getting current players to sign the book would turn me off a bit.

Currently the book is signed by an author and 3 players. but the nice thing making it even more rare is 2 of the 3 players are deceased. My opinion as a collector and as a habs fan, is to leave it as is and have current players sign something else that is geared to them.

Just my opinion though.

I agree to leave it as is...

That's quite a nice gift assuming the signatures are real...and I'm assuming you can trust your boss that they are. Did he get the signatures?

Those are 3 of the all time great Habs ever to play the game...I wouldn't even consider adding in current names. Not one of this bunch deserves to be on the same page as those 3...and I don't think any one of this bunch ever will deserve it.

Originally posted by Habs13

Wait a second.. two of the three are deceassed?? No no.. I think Doug Harvey and Henri Richard are still alive and kicking.. right??

Nope.

He was elected into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1973 and passed away in his hometown of Montreal in 1989 due to cirrhoisis of the liver.