Theodore/Garon to Long Island?

sakiqc

It would be interesting to see what freaking Milbury will do now. He surely will do something huge around the draft and before July 1st. Garth Snow is a UFA this summer (if MM doesn't take the option).

There's a lot of great dman MM can trade. Personally I don't think he would be interested in Garon (who, we have to say, is still a "potential", not an establish goalie). So we probably have to forget a Jonsson-Garon trade.

Then we have Theodore. But if we talk about trading Theo, we have to be interested to see Garon play a lot of games. If we are not very enthousiasts with that idea, why would other team want to try it with Garon? Why Garon and not another prospect? I personally think Garon is better than Giguere, but who will take the chance to let him play? When will we take this chance?

Wonder how Gainey will deal with it. There's a big gamble here. If BG trades Theo, he don't have to miss it. We would be in big trouble for YEARS (cf. the Roy trade). But trading Theo for a great dman and a good forward, and Garon emerging like we all think he will, we would have an improved team. It's sure we are more likely to allow some more goals, but will the difference be in our favor?

Some will say Theo is too important for the fans, etc. How is he important? Does he sells tickets ? The Bell Center is almost full capacity since a long time and for years to come. That won't affect the TV contract. If he's that important, in which way? I don't think we should consider Theo as "non tradable". If BG can improve the team by trading Theo, i hope he'll do it.

NYI article - about the situation in Long Island

Mike wouldn't be too keen to trade away the core of his team for another young goalie. DiPietro has been biding his time, and now has the chance to shine. Snow will be the backup goalie that can stop the bleeding (if it happens) and win 20+ games.

No, we want an experienced goalie to backup Garon if we trae Theo. But we won't get as much for Haron as we do for Theo. So maybe the idea is to wait, and hope we can pulla Minnesota, balance 2 goalies, and get in the playoffs.

i don't think NYI will rely on a prospect (Dipietro) to start all their games. same thing for NYR, don't see them starting Blackburn. They have a big payroll, it's not logical to put a no experience goalie to lead a high payroll team.

I don't understand why MM drafted goalies with his high selections (luongo.. dipietro).. if he's not going to start them anyway.

The value of goalie should go very high. But then again, i don't understand Clarke's move:?-

THere's talking today of Clarke trying to trade LeClair to NYR. NYR would not have like to grab Cechmanek in the same time?? Clarke would not have got better in return for Cechmanek?

Maybe he only want him to be in the Western Conference.. since he rules in the regular season and would have help a lot NYR.

Maybe there's a non trade clause in the Cechmanek trade to LA. humm

Originally posted by sakiqc

i don't think NYI will rely on a prospect (Dipietro) to start all their games.

Dipietro will shares the goaltending duties with Snow... whoever plays most will depend on performance.

With goalie being at a premium right now I think there's more of an incentive to give the kid a chance to take over, or at least split the goalie duties.

same thing for NYR, don't see them starting Blackburn.  

THere's talking today of Clarke trying to trade LeClair to NYR. NYR would not have like to grab Cechmanek in the same time??

What are you talking about?

NYR have Dunham and Blackburn... what the hell would they want with Cechmanek?

The value of goalie should go very high. But then again, i don't understand Clarke's move:?-

Cechmanek has a rep of being a nutcase, and worse yet he's proven he can't win in the playoffs with his eratic play... his value is nil, I'd have jumped at a 2nd rounder too.

[Edited on 6-6-03 by Habs77]

Dipietro will shares the goaltending duties with Snow... whoever plays most will depend on performance.  

With goalie being at a premium right now I think there's more of an incentive to give the kid a chance to take over, or at least split the goalie duties.  

1st, Snow will probably becomes an UFA on July 1st. Anyways, Snow isn't a starter. He played 45 games once in his 10 years career.

As for Dipietro, i have difficulty to see ISlanders give the net to a rookie. They are more likely to get a veteran on the way down (like Osgood, Vanbiesbrouck)

What are you talking about?  

NYR have Dunham and Blackburn... what the hell would they want with Cechmanek?  

humm.. exactly. I'm talking about the biggest payroll in the league with one of the worst tandem of goalies.

People forget it often, but Cechmanek is one of the best goalie in regular season since 2000. He has a career AVR below 2.00 GAA, with a save percentage higher than .920.

And all that playing with not the best Dman squad in the league.

NYR have to make playoffs.

And Roman would have surely help them A LOT

Cechmanek has a rep of being a nutcase, and worse yet he's proven he can't win in the playoffs with his eratic play... his value is nil, I'd have jumped at a 2nd rounder too.  

I agree on the fact he has no style and that he doesn't care about playoffs. But trading him for a 2nd rounder.. i don't get it.

[Edité le 2003-6-6 par sakiqc]

1st, Snow will probably becomes an UFA on July 1st. Anyways, Snow isn't a starter. He played 45 games once in his 10 years career.

As for Dipietro, i have difficulty to see ISlanders give the net to a rookie. They are more likely to get a veteran on the way down (like Osgood, Vanbiesbrouck)

I didn't know Snow was a UFA... but I still think he'll end up staying as a tandem with Dipietro... you might not see them giving the kid a chance but I do... you don't take a goalie with the 1st overall pick to then hide him in the minors for years, next year is the perfect time for him to get his shot.

And I know Snow isn't a #1, that's why I'm saying that at best he's split duties with the kid.

humm.. exactly. I'm talking about the biggest payroll in the league with one of the worst tandem of goalies.

Man are you way off there... Dunham was brilliant once he joined NYR, I know cuz I had him in my pool and he saved my butt.

And Blackburn is a promising kid who simply burned out from over-use last year... he'll be fine too.

NYR was actually brilliant last year... they wanted Hackett but thankfully for them that didn't work out, they avoided going after the useless Cujo... Dunham was the perfect guy for them.

People forget it often, but Cechmanek is one of the best goalie in regular season since 2000. He has a career AVR below 2.00 GAA, with a save percentage higher than .920.

And all that playing with not the best Dman squad in the league.

NYR have to make playoffs.

And Roman would have surely help them A LOT

He wouldn't have help them one bit... because goaltending is NOT their problem.

Secondly nobody cares what your season numbers are if you're a shmuck come playoff time... ask Turek, he went through the same hting in STL a few year back.

I agree on the fact he has no style and that he doesn't care about playoffs. But trading him for a 2nd rounder.. i don't get it.

Playoff dud = worthless... what's not to get?

[Edited on 7-6-03 by Habs77]

my point is, we all know how goalie is an important factor. If you are one of NewYork GMS and you have to show immediate results to your owner who give you a lot of money. if i had a 90 millions payroll, i would be sure to have a "6 millions goalie". that's just not wise to load your team with big names and not have any solid goalie.

anyways, it's not like if i care for the ny teams lol

dunham was solid for rangers when he was traded, it's true.

my point is, if i had a 90 millions payroll, i would be sure to have a "6 millions goalie".

I agree with the sentiment... I've also wondered the same about Philly & St-Louis.

At least NYR had Richter, who was good when healthy. They then needed a new goalie just when Cujo/Belfour became available... but Cujo wanted to play with a winner, and Sather wasn't interested in Belfour since at best he only had a year or 2 left.

He ended up with what ironically was the best goalie for now & the long term, and doesn't have an incredible salary. Dunham is very under-rated.

Philly has truly been the worst in terms of fielding an expensive team without ever addressing the goalie position... they haven't had a premiere goalie since Hextall. Given their incredible resources, that's unforgivable.

I'll be curious to see what they do now, will Clark finally get it or grab yet another so-so goaltender. The funny thing is he'll probably reach out for Hackett, and once again that won't cut it.

Colorado (Roy retirement), Philly (Cech traded), and St-Louis (Osgood UFA) are presently without a #1 goalie and have some of the highest payrolls in the league... they need truly quality goaltending to contend.

The apparently potentially available quality goaltenders:

- Kolzig... Caps looking to trim payroll, owner disenchanted with team.

- Khabibulin... Unhappy with benching in playoffs, looks like a year after butting heads with Lecavalier it's now the goalie who is rumored to be leaving.

- Burke... Has always been available, but Phoenix wants a lot in return. STL tried last year but decided the price was too high.

- Theodore... I know, very unlikely but the rumor has been floated around. And with Gainey onboard who knows how highly he will come to appreciate Garon, and how little he will come to appreciate Theo's salary.

One never knows. ;)

So there are quality goalies out there, potentially available for the right price.... question is will the rich teams be ready to pay it, or settle for cheap mediocrity once again.

• 2 weeks later...
- Theodore... I know, very unlikely but the rumor has been floated around. And with Gainey onboard who knows how highly he will come to appreciate Garon, and how little he will come to appreciate Theo's salary.

One never knows.

if montreal management was dealing with the idea of trading theodore, they certainly have a kind of motivation to do it now.

Theodore might or might not be affected with the fact all his family are in jail, the point is that it will always be a big distraction and tough to deal with his concentration.

THeo already reached the top level in Montreal.. won the Hart.. he cannot go higher. On another hand, we possibly can have a lot for him on a trade.

If Habs didn't want to send Garon in minors so BDogs win the Cup, despite the fact they have a lot of other prospect goalie in the organisation.. it's they believe Garon is the best.. and maybe good enough to take the full job next year.

Trading Theo for a young sniper and a good veteran would help our no-threat offensive.

:ghg:

If Habs didn't want to send Garon in minors so BDogs win the Cup, despite the fact they have a lot of other prospect goalie in the organisation.. it's they believe Garon is the best.. and maybe good enough to take the full job next year.

They couldn't send Garon down because he'd be taken on waivers... that has nothing to do with the goalie depth in the organization, or the team thinking Garon is the best. It's simply about protecting their assets, and who cares about the AHL title... at the end of the day it's no big deal.

Btw I also disagree with that "fact they have a lot of other prospect goalies in the org"... they are to the contrary paper thin after Theo & Garon.

Michaud is a longshot, Tarasov will probably never return to this side of the Atlantic, and Fichaud is a backup at best.

I do agree with possibly trading Theo at some point, but it would be a risky move to do it now since Garon has yet to prove he can hack it in the NHL on a regular basis.

Both goalies are under contract for a couple of years... we can afford to be patient.