Hirsch calls NHLers in Europe 'scabs'

Spider-Man NL

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=103166

hirsch_44475.jpg

10/30/2004

Corey Hirsch played in 100 games with the Vancouver Canucks in the 1990's but he is not too happy with today's NHL players.

Hirsch was playing for the SCL Tigers of the Swiss "A" League but has been sidelined in favour of Martin Gerber of the Carolina Hurricanes.

Hirsch agreed to write a column for Sun Media and used it to air his greivances with the influx of NHL players to Europe.

"I think some of these players should have a talk with my pregnant wife and my kids that moved their lives to Europe, only to watch me sit in the stands game after game because I have been bumped by an NHL player," Hirsch wrote in the Sun.

Faced with the possibility of not playing again this season, Hirsch talked about the long-term legacy NHL players will leave behind when the lockout ends and their short-term stay is over.

"They will have their careers making great salaries but the damage they will have left in their wake will be irreparable," surmised Hirsch, who has represented Canada in international play. "They are scabs over here, replacement players, basically rented to put fans in the seats."

Hirsch also finds it ironic that NHL players are heading to Europe as they fight for job security in North America.

"Before NHL players come to Europe, I suggest they take a long hard look in the mirror and ask themselves why they are coming," Hirsch added in his Sun column. "Other than to stay in shape, they will be playing for little money and will be destroying others job security."

[Edited on 2004/10/31 by Spider-Man NL]

[Edited on 2004/10/31 by Spider-Man NL]

[Edited on 2004-12-29 by puck7x]

Essentially he's right. I've been saying the same thing all along.

The short term effects are good, especially for the fans who enjoy watching all those NHL players back in Europe. But as for the long term effects... I believe Hirsch is right on the money. ;)

However, and this is a technicality I know, but since it is a LOCK-OUT... can you really call 'em scabs? 'Cause they're not actually on strike, are they? Technically speaking...

ADD: I posted the same article on another board...

[Edited on 2004/10/31 by Doktor Kosmos]

Hirsch makes a good point but if this doesn't motivate him to become a better player when the NHL resumes he's a moron for just standing there and letting other people take his job.

Common Martin Gerber? He's no superstar yet last time I checked.

As much as I sympathize with guys playing in europe the NHLers there are not scabs...a scab is a guy who takes the job of someone who is on strike. Replacement players/workers are scabs...the NHLers playing in europe are taking advantage of the "free market" system in place in any industry.

I don't see how one has anything to do with the other...comparing views of replacement players to NHLers taking job openings in europe is not actually comparable.

Originally posted by thunderbutt

I wonder what he's saying now that Gerber has signed with Färjestad in the Swedish Elitserien? Or will some other NHLer take Gerber's place in front of Hirsch?

Wow, he signed with Farjestad? They are stacked with NHL'ers now, Chara, Souray, Comrie, Gerber. And those are quality players...

Originally posted by puck7xWow, he signed with Farjestad? They are stacked with NHL'ers now, Chara, Souray, Comrie, Gerber. And those are quality players...

Sure are. Which makes me snicker since GM Håkan Loob was so sure that his team didn't need any improvement... ;)