Dogs trip

montreal

Just got back from a 3 game road trip, watching the Dogs, here's what I wrote at HF.

Oh boy where to start. I just got back from my trip where I watched the Bulldogs attempt to play hockey. Boy was that painful. You have no idea how bad it was. Everybody looked bad with the exception of Pleks and maybe a few others, nothing was going right, they never showed up for the 1st period in any game, I think they just used cardboard cutouts and sat in the locker room drinking cause who ever was on the ice wasn't playing hockey.

I can't believe how bad they looked, out of sync, sloppy, unlucky, and overall very poor are words that come to mind. Lots of bad bounces, missed chances, weak defensive play, total lack of offensive play. But their PK looked good, that's about the only positive I really saw.

Here's some player notes

Danis- 2 of the 3 games he played in, both were not good nights. I won't say he sucked, or all the goals were soft, and he did make some good saves, but he looked shaky in nets, and a lot more shaky handling the puck. Still and Ellis had little help from the defense, but I'll go into that with each player. I felt bad for both goalies more then I felt it was neithers fault. To me Danis did not play well, but was not bad either. I was actually a little surprised that Jarvis pulled Danis, that's not fair, he should have benched Hainsey, for turning over the puck on the PP 2 feet from Danis.

Ellis- I'll keep this short so hopefully the Ellis cheerleading team can stay out of this thread. Ellis didn't play bad, but he wasn't very good either. Again very poor rebounding control, this led to a number of shots against. He did make some good saves.

Hainsey-Daley- I can't believe this guy. Him and Daley are too much alike. Both look great rushing the puck up the ice, both leave me shaking my head as to how in the hell they ever got past their coaches with such bad decision making. I don't get it. How can both guys be so skilled, yet make such terrible, terrible plays in their own end. I can't say how many times I would watch one or the other turn over the puck in their own end with such ease. Both were major goats in 2 games, first it was the Daley show of errors and bad choices, costing a goal against and then it was Hainsey's turn, losing the puck right in front of Danis while on the PP, which killed the team after that. Sice Daley isn't a habs, it's not as hard to except, but with Hainsey, being a 4th year pro, I just can't believe it. He looks great rushing the puck up ice, but man where the hell is his head sometimes. wow

Plekanec- On a lighter note, imo Plekanec was the only real bright spot. Man I love to watch this kid play. Tonight he came close to losing his cool with the refs, he got tossed out of the face-off circle many times and he had a few words with the ref. Even the fans next to me where saying he looks like he's going to lose it. Still he scored a great goal against the Crunch, when he got a pass right at center ice, skated in the breakaway and made a nice move to deke the goalie. Of course my luck, I was at the other end of the rink, but the play started in the Dogs end and I could see that Plekanec was open, just needed someone to hit him. He also showed good speed to breakaway from the defensemen. Overall he played well in all 3 games, and was one of the Dogs to generate offense on a consistent basis.

Higgins- Seems very snake bit offensively, but made up for it with very good PK and defensive play. He just couldn't buy a goal, but he did have a few chances and he does see a lot of ice time. At tonights game I sat next to a writer from Fox sports and he was going to interview Chris after the game, it should be up on their site in a few days I would guess. He showed me some cool pics he got of M-A in nets.

Kostitsyn- I know tonight was a ruff night for him, he was on the ice for 2-3 goals against. 1 was not his fault at all, and was more of a weak goal, although a smarter defensive forward might have been in better position, he did have his man covered. But the other goal was his fault. He failed to clear the puck when he was very deep in his end, it went about 2 feet, and then bamn goal. Jarvis put him right back out after the next shift, so perhaps he sees some progression in his defensive game. Before tonight I would have said he looks better in his own end, especially positionally, but offensively he seems to lack any real jump, although he did have a few good shots and passes which were some of the lone things to get excited about. I think he's going to be much better defensively by the end of this year or so, which is what he needs to do.

Milroy- Seems to be having trouble offensively, not much to show for, but he was solid on the PK. Seems to work hard, but just couldn't get much of anything imo. He has been a 2nd half performer over the last few years, so hopefully he picks it up as the season goes on, as the Dogs sorely need more offense from everywhere. I could see him picking it up, he has a solid base of skills to work with.

Ferland- I assume he got injured, too bad, cause he was one of the better players on friday night, as he didn't do crap offensively, but he was consistently physical. Showed good hard work out there, just no offensive ability at all.

Carpentier- Sorry but I hate that Jarvis puts Carpentier and Ivanans in the lineup when the team is scoring less then a goal a game over the last few games. This guy can't do much of anything but fight and hit people. I know they need one of these guys, but when you can't score, why not keep it to one of them a game not both.

Thinel- worked hard but is easily knocked off the puck

Locke- Not a great weekend for him. He didn't play bad, but he wasn't much of a factor either. Seemed to play with Carpentier a lot, so what can you expect.

Ott- Can't do much of anything offensively but he knows how to get under the other teams skin and he plays physical.

Ward- I don't know what to say about him. I expected him to really kick ass this year, but he hasn't really dominated in any of the 4 games I've been too this year. He did score on a rebound tonight, but it was mostly due to Plekanec's work imo. Something was pissing him off tonight, he had a small spere on M-A, and generally seemed frustrated. He had a few good chances over the weekend and he's skating hard, getting a lot of ice time, but the goals aren't coming just yet. I think he'll get it going at some point, as he missed camp and some games.

Lambert- Not much of a factor, he skates well, good speed, but isn't getting his nose too dirty and is generally staying on the outside.

Shasby- Not bad play for a rookie, he isn't very strong, and he did look bad tonight as he was playing RD, not his normal side. He rushes things too much, but that could be a lack of confidence. I think he'll see the ECHL again this year, but I wouldn't write him off for being a good AHL defensemen at some point.

Archer- Don't know why he didn't play tonight, but it could be he's out geting new skates, cause he kept falling down or so it seemed. He didn't play too bad either, but needs to be more physical.

Jancevski- Is a decent lower pairing defensemen, not much of anything offensively, but in his own end he's solid and he seems to stick up for his players right away, same with Focht. Both are big, strong, physical defensemen, but neither look to be of much help to the offensive problems. Although Focht did set up Plekanec's goal friday night.

If I forgot anyone, It will have to wait till tomorrow, I did a lot of driving this weekend and must go to bed.