Sweden Hockey Games

ch_nl

Sweden Hockey Games is the last tournament in Euro Hockey Tour.

Sweden usually wins this cup, but Russia are leading the Euro Hockey Tour and today the two countries will face each other.

Earlier Sweden beat Czech Republic after a penalty shoutout. Weinhandl scored the winner. The game ended in a tie, 2-2.

Finland has lost both their games in overtime. No team has won a game in regular time yet and right now Russia has a 2-1 lead on Sweden.

Russias first line has Andrei Markov and Alexei Kovalev. Kovalev has been brilliant and it seem like he has keept his form from the world cup.

In the meantime Sweden is in chock after the scandal with Tallinder, Huselius and Lilja. They where taken by the police after beeing accused for a rape. The case was dropped but the players left the team. Heres a link:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=11...464&hubName=nhl

Russia had a 2-0 lead but after 60 minutes of hockey and a really good third period Sweden won 3-2.

Perezhogin had 3 chances to score in the third period. In his first atempt he should have gotten a penaltyshot but the referee didn't use his whistle at all during the last ten minutes.

He second was a good shot, but saved by Lundkvist. And finaly he had a shot off the post. He looked really good and I'd say he was the best russian player during the last period.

Looking good for the future.

I was more impressed with Perezhogin than Markov or Kovalev. Kovalev played well especially in the first period but faded towards the end of the game IMO. Perezhogin had couple of good chances. It was fun to see him play.

If you look at the whole game I think Sweden deserved the win. Aside from the first ten minutes it was a solid team effort. If you ask me, the best Swedish players were GK Henrik Lundqvist, Henrik Zetterberg and Jörgen Jönsson. I also like Fredrik Modin's style. He creates a lot of momentum for his team. Jonathan Hedström was a pleasant surprise. Most of the time I think he's too hot headed, but tonight he didn't cross the line. Instead he scored the GWG on a beautiful Gretzky-esque pass from Zetterberg. Mikael Samuelsson and Magnus Kahnberg scored the other goals for Sweden.

There's just one thing I cannot understand: Why the Hell is Nils Ekman playing for the national team?

I think Nils Ekman did it well but there's a lot a player I would choose before Ekman. But Ekman had a good year in San Jose and he has 39 points on 40 games this year, so it aint that bad?

But I think Nylander and Holmström should have made the team. Nylander is one of the best players in the world once the ice gets bigger and Holmström is the best powerplayer.

I dislike Ekman for a number of reasons. Most of all because he takes bad penelties and at times he's a calamity on the ice. Remember when he deliberately ran over Henrik Lundqvist during a Frölunda-Djurgården game a couple years ago? In my opinion the difference between him and a guy like Bertuzzi is that Ekman has yet to suffer a blackout that has resulted in any serious injuries for his victims. :wall:

Also, when my brother and I visited Montreal, Ekman played for Tampa Bay, and he scored his first NHL goal in the Habs-Lightning game we went to. :P

Also, when my brother and I visited Montreal, Ekman played for Tampa Bay, and he scored his first NHL goal in the Habs-Lightning game we went to.

A reason good enough.

The Frölunda hit-n-run was indeed stupid but I think Nils Ekman is the kind of guy you love having on your team but hate playing against.

Don't get me wrong, Ekman is a good player of course. It's just that I tihnk any team can do without those blackouts he keeps on suffering from time to time.

Weird goal he scored today BTW. :o

Sweden won the Sweden Hockey Games after beating Finland 5-1 in the last game. Henrik Lundqvist was superb in goal (as always) and there were many Swedish forwards who played really well. The Zetterberg-Hedström-Kahnberg line was outstanding. I think Zetterberg is the best Swedish hockey player this season. Hedström deserves to play for Team Sweden during the World Championships later this season, and after his performance in this tournament, I wouldn't mind seeing Magnus Kahnberg on the team either. Others worth mentioning is of course captain Jörgen Jönsson, Mikael Samuelsson (a late addition to the team and a positive surprise), Mattias Weinhandl and Fredrik Modin.

I can't think of the defensemen as a group played a pretty good game. Thomas Rodin must be on the national team with all his experience. He can also shoot, which doesn't hurt. Daniel Tjärnqvist got off to a tough start and stunk up the place in the first period. I believe he missed the game against Russia yesterday because he attended a funeral. Maybe that affected him - hard to see how it could not affect him. But he worked his way into the game and played better and better throughout the course of the game. Dick Tärnström scored a shorthanded goal but also gave the puck away on the play that lead to the Finish goal. I don't care too much for Anders Eriksson, but he was alright. I like Magnus Johansson's offensive skills but he might not be tough enough in the defensive zone. Niclas Hävelid and Tomas Johansson had to play as forwards today becuase Marcus Nilsson and Andreas Johansson was injured. I've always liked Tomas Johansson. He didn't do a bad job as a forward but naturally he belongs on the defense.

Overall it was a very good game for Sweden and it feels awesome to sock it to those cursed Finns. For a change we came out on top and I think luck had nothing to do with it - we earned this win. Finland never really stood a chance.

:clap:

Add: Oh yeah, the score...

Sweden-Finland 5-1

1-0 Dick Tärnström (Henrik Zetterberg SH)

2-0 Nils Ekman

3-0 Henrik Zetterberg (Jonathan Hedström, Daniel Tjärnqvist PP)

3-1 Marko Jantunen

4-1 Jonathan Hedström (Magnus Kahnberg, Henrik Zetterberg)

5-1 Mattias Weinhandl (PP)

If you want to see the goals, click this link then click the link that says "Se målen".

[Edited on 2005/2/13 by Doktor Kosmos]

Sweden Hockey games are over and the talk about the lines for the world championship has begun...

Here's what I think:

Henrik Lundqvist

Stefan Liv

Thomas Rhodin - Christian Bäckman

Kenny Jönsson - Daniel Tjärnqvist

Mattias Norström - Marcus Ragnarsson

(Niclas Hävelid - Dick Tärnström)

- If that baby of Tärnström will be born before face-off

Tomas Holmström - Peter Forsberg - Per-Johan Axelsson

Fredrik Modin - Michael Nylander - Daniel Alfredsson

Jonathan Hedström - Henrik Zetterberg - Magnus Khanberg

Peter Nordström - Jörgen Jönsson - Marcus Näslund

Extra forwards: Andreas Johansson, Samuel Phålsson and the Sedin brothers.