The Commish

huzer

I'm just curious about something. I've watched the NFL draft in the past, and haven't seen the commisioner booed. I haven't seen too much of either the MLB or NBA commishes, but I just wanna know: Does any sport's commish get booed more than Bettman? Why does the league continue with this guy? He should be back in the NBA where he belongs. He may have expanded the markets in which the NHL has franchises (um, is that a good thing?), but he has done nothing to increase it's marketability, which is what he was brought in to do.

He has his faults... but if some should get booed it Goodenow. And about other commishes getting booed, Bud Selig... hello?!?! :)

Tagliabue for the NFL does a great job, but then again he has a much easier job.

He doesn't have a strong union to face off with as in MLB & NHL, and the revenue sharing aspect is easy in the NFL because most of the revenues are from TV money which is easy to re-distribute. The NHL ain't so lucky, it's a gate driven league and that kind of money is NOT easy to redistribute.

Also no struggling Canadian teams to support because of the weaker dollar/higher taxes.

Running the NFL is a walk in the park... as Pierre Rinfret would say :)

The NBA has it pretty easy too... although they've had to move a few teams recently.

The MLB is a corrupt mess.

THe NHL is the only major league who NEEDS Canadian teams to survive and aren't that popular in the States, and hence are in a much weaker position.

We can blame Bettman if we want, but he has the toughest job in sports... I'm not sure someone else coming in could do much better.

[Edited on 10-6-03 by Habs77]