Team Canada Shaping Up

Psycing

I just completed my article for my school paper on Team Canada. Finally got the quotes I needed. Anyway, figured I'd share it here. I'm sure most of you heard most of this by now anyhow. Enjoi.

Team Canada Shaping Up

By: Matthew Macaskill

This year’s IIHF World Championships in Vienna and Innisbruck, Austria are about a month away, and Team Canada has begun taking shape. However, with many skilled players opting not to join the team, fans are left wondering if Canada will still be able to put together a championship team.

The task was made even more difficult when hockey’s greatest player, Wayne Gretzky, had to decline the General Manager position. He will not be managing the team because he has chosen to remain by his mother’s side, Phyllis Gretzky, as she is currently receiving treatment for lung cancer.

“I don't think that Wayne Gretzky's absence from the World Championships will hinder Canada's chances. They are all very capable of picking up the slack and forming a winning team.” said 18-year-old Stephen Connors, a Dawson College student.

General manager Steve Tambellini will need to spend a lot of time on the phone trying to convince players to join Team Canada for the tournament. Many of Canada’s best players haven’t even played hockey competitively since last year. They will need to get into game shape if Canada is to be considered a serious contender.

Future Hall of Famers Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman, and Joe Sakic have each already declined their invitation to play for Canada as they would be unable to be physically ready in time for the tournament. Vincent Lecavalier and Brad Richards will also most likely miss the tournament due to injuries. This leaves a huge hole in the center position, with only Joe Thornton and Kris Draper on board so far.

When asked if the absence of some of Canada’s marquee players would greatly affect Team Canada’s chances of winning this year’s tournament, Victoria Aube, and 18-year-old Commerce student said, “Yes. Instead of having a 100% chance of winning, they only have 95%. But they’ll still win because they have so many other good players.”

“No, they’ll still win. They’re Canadian.” Christina Johnson, an 18-year-old Social Science student replied when asked the same question.

Last year’s Rocket Richard Trophy winner for most goals in a season, Jarome Iginla (41 goals; tied with Rick Nash and Ilya Kovalchuk), will not be suiting up for Canada either. He is scheduled to have his tonsils removed, and would not be ready in time for Team Canada’s training camp.

Defensemen Rob Blake and Adam Foote will also both miss the championships because they are not in game shape. However, this gives an opportunity to some younger blue-liners such as Scott Hannan, Robyn Regehr, Nick Schultz, and Sheldon Souray to step up and make their mark.

Meanwhile, goaltender Jose Theodore will also not make the trip to Austria. He was considered to possibly be the starting goaltender for Canada after his stellar play in Sweden this season, but has been suffering from a groin injury. Theodore also said he would not join the team if he were brought in as a third goalie. With Martin Brodeur and Roberto Luongo already getting the call, his chances to play were slim.

Even with many experienced players declining to join Team Canada, there still remains various players who have been successful in international play for Canada before. There are several key players from Canada’s 2004 World Cup winning team returning to play.

Forwards Joe Thornton, Kris Draper, Dany Heatley, Shane Doan, Simon Gagne, and Ryan Smyth will be contending against the world’s best once again. While defensemen Ed Jovanovski, Scott Hannan, Wade Redden, Robyn Regehr, and goaltenders Martin Brodeur and Roberto Luongo will be suiting up for Canada again as well.

With so many gaps in Team Canada’s line-up, some new players will be called upon to continue the winning tradition.

Brendan Morrison will most likely be called up after he posted great numbers in the Swedish league this season.

Daniel Briere was a shoe-in to make the team, but he may have to sit this one out due to a hip injury. Briere had shown a lot of chemistry in the past playing for Team Canada on a line with Dany Heatley. We may never know if they could have done it again due to the injury.

Forwards Shawn Horcoff and Rick Nash both had a successful season in Europe this year, and would be good additions to the team.

Canada will also need to name a third goaltender now that Theodore has backed out. The likely choice is Marty Turco.

Team Canada will continue to shape up as the weeks progress. Head coach Marc Habscheid will have the privilege of building a line-up with some of the best players in the world. It will be up to Habscheid along with assistant coaches Craig MacTavish and Tom Renney to get these players into shape during the team’s training camp in April.

Canada plays its first match of the preliminary round against Latvia on April 30th, at 10:15am.

Management/Coaching Staff

Steve Tambellini (General Manager)

Ken Holland (Assistant General Manager)

Marc Habscheid (Head Coach)

Craig MacTavish (Assistant Coach)

Tom Renney (Assistant Coach)

Players on Team

Joe Thornton ©

Kris Draper ©

Dany Heatley (RW)

Shane Doan (RW)

Simon Gagne (LW)

Ryan Smyth (LW)

Ed Jovanovski (D)

Scott Hannan (D)

Wade Redden (D)

Robyn Regehr (D)

Martin Brodeur (G)

Roberto Luongo (G)

Potential Players

Brendan Morrison ©

Shawn Horcoff (C/LW)

Todd Bertuzzi (RW)

Rick Nash (LW)

Sheldon Souray (D)

Chris Phillips (D)

Nick Schultz (D)

Adrian Aucoin (D)

Marty Turco (G)

Question Marks

Daniel Briere © – Hip injury

Brad Richards © – Recovering from abdominal surgery

Martin St. Louis (LW) – Wife expecting a child

Who You Won’t See

Vincent Lecavalier © – Knee injury requiring surgery

Joe Sakic © – Not in game shape

Steve Yzerman © – Not in game shape

Mario Lemieux © – Not in game shape

Jarome Iginla (RW) – Surgery to have tonsils removed.

Rob Blake (D) – Not in game shape

Adam Foote (D) – Not in game shape

Jose Theodore (G) – Groin Injury/Grandmother’s Funeral

[Edited on 1/4/05 by Macaskill]

It would be a national disgrace if Todd Bertuzzi is allowed to play. I never thought I'd say this but I would have a hard time cheering for Canada.

I would really like to see Ryder be named. He brings an all-around game.

[Edited on 2005/4/1 by Leafs Suck]

personally, i highly doubt Bertuzzi will be able to play... but i guess that's out of our hands.

(Damn, i jus realized i forgot to explain the Bertuzzi situation in the article... lol... I'll add it in when i Copy Edit tomorrow... )

Ryder making the team would be awesome. I'm anxious to see if who canada chooses to fill the spots.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

It would be a national disgrace if Todd Bertuzzi is allowed to play. I never thought I'd say this but I would have a hard time cheering for Canada.

Everybody makes mistakes. You may not agree with it, but it wouldn't be a "National Disgrace".

Too bad about Iginla and Theo. Ryder would be cool, but it's quite a theatre. Hopefully we get some coverage on ESPN down here for this (Not holding breath).

[Edited on 2005/4/3 by Habsfan21]

Originally posted by Habsfan21

Too bad about Iginla and Theo. Ryder would be cool, but it's quite a theatre. Hopefully we get some coverage on ESPN down here for this (Not holding breath).

There's a private TV station in Austria which always broadcasts the World Championships. They also have a free live programme via the internet and I suppose you can also watch the afternoon games of this years WC.

Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

There's a private TV station in Austria which always broadcasts the World Championships. They also have a free live programme via the internet and I suppose you can also watch the afternoon games of this years WC.

Oooo, very cool!:/)

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Everybody makes mistakes. You may not agree with it, but it wouldn't be a "National Disgrace".

Okay it's just simply a disgrace.

Bertuzzi made no mistake. I have a hard time feeling sorry for him when he bragged to the media about doing it. The day Steve Moore can play again is the day Bertuzzi can.

Hey Everyone,

I really like the Ryder idea, he'd be so fun to watch for Canada!

Does anyone know which Habs have agreed, or have been asked by other nations? Like, is Markov playing for Russia, Zednick for Slovakia (Bonk/Bulis for Czech??), etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Almost forgot... My article is in our school online paper.

Check it out here.

http://fclass.vaniercollege.qc.ca/echo/spo...ports_index.htm

(The paper was supposed to be published last week, but things screwed up, and well, I was lucky that team Canada decided they would only name the team this past Monday... the same day the paper + my article were published... good timing.)