Thoughts on lines and depth

Zowpeb

I'm not going into anything most of you don't already know.

This team is so chalk full of 2nd - 4th line talent it isn't even funny anymore. We almost need to create our lines starting with the 4th line and working our way up.

Line 4: (LW) Kilger - © Juneau - (RW) McKay

Line 3: (LW) Sundstrom - © Bulis - (RW) Ward

Line 2: (LW) Hossa - Perreault/Ribs (RW) via TRADE/UFA

Line 1: (LW) Zednik - © Koivu - (RW) Audette

The 4th line is expensive but that is where those guy are best suited...they can play physical, are strong defensively and will score some points.

I love that 3rd line.

The 2nd line needs some work. Hopefully the RWer could be a good player. I hope and pray that Czerkawski is gone and not an option. I think/hope one of Perreault or Ribeiro is gone by next year.

The top line is fine except for Audette...I don't like him there and would love to see an upgrade over him. But I expect that we wouldn't see one for a while. It seems to be a consensus top line by most posters...

I can see Ryder getting a call up if Hossa struggles. Depending on training camp I think we have some intriguing possibilities with our prospects. I can see a couple of them surprising...

Our defense is a shambles right now. Bright future, crappy present.

Rivet - Markov

Souray - Komisarek

Hainsey - Quintal

Quite frankly, I think we should stick with Hainsey and Komi for a full year. Sure they might struggle but I can live with that. If they are really struggling come late November then maybe send one of them down. We need to commit to a youth movement. The big question marks, in my mind, should lie with Rivet and Souray. Souray because of his injury and Rivet because he gives the puck up WAY too much. If Souray was healthy and we could upgrade Rivet I'd be much happier with our D. At the very least a guy to replace Rivet on the top unit would allow Souray time to recover better and if Hainsey struggles it gives us better options...

So, I've left out Brisebois, Dykhuis, Traverse, Dackell, Czerkawski and one of Perreault or Ribiero. If we can scrape together a good RWer for the second line and a top pairing d-man with those players I'd be ecstatic.

Actually, if we could get a top notch defensive d-man for say Breezy, Dackell and maybe a pick I'd be happy. Someone the caliber of Norstrom. Then we could move Perreault, Dykhuis, Traverse and Czerkawski for draft picks. Release Traverse and Czerkawski if no one wants to give up a pick. Take the savings and sign a good RWer via UFA(if there are any :?-).

Any thoughts/comments?

I agree with alot of what you are saying , I love the defense ... its the same one I want (switch the sides on the first pairing though... hehehe) ... Its one big mean (or potentially mean) defense... Its got a physical player on each pairing...

That Souray-Komisarek pairing makes me drool (well not as much as A.Bridges in a thong... ... anyways...)

Myself I'd prefer to also lose/dump/get-rid-of Juneau. The guy is a "problem" imo , he's creating problems in the room imo... Plus consider his age/productively/contract ... He is a total waste , ... Though when I put it that way its going to be tough to unload the guy..

Line #3 does look pretty sweet although I am not against the idea of using Ward on a top-2 line (Hey might as well give him a chance , could surprise us) since one of the big things the habs need is size (physical play) on the top-2 lines.

My summer dump list : Brisebois , Ribeiro/Perreault (pick one) , Dackell , Juneau , Traverse , Dykhuis , Czerk (I hope he just leaves on his own)

Ahhh nice to dream :)

[Edited on 2003/6/20 by puck7x]

"Myself I'd prefer to also lose/dump/get-rid-of Juneau. The guy is a "problem" imo , he's creating problems in the room imo... Plus consider his age/productively/contract ... He is a total waste , ... Though when I put it that way its going to be tough to unload the guy.. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with trading Juneau is that our top two lines aren't exactly stellar. We need balance all the way through. Juneau can be a big part of that. He is capable of putting up 35 points with 4th line minutes. I think we need a good 4th line and very good 3rd line if we are to succeed with our 1st and 2nd line being what they are.

Don't get me wrong I think Koivu and Zed are very good players...it's everyone else around them on the top two lines that scare me. Hossa I could live with since he's young and developing. I have virtually no patience with Perreault and to a lesser extent Ribeiro. I'm just hoping that with Ribeiro setting up Hossa and possibly bringing in a real good RWer we could see a better balance on our top two lines. As well as an improved PP.

Originally posted by Zowpeb

He is capable of putting up 35 points with 4th line minutes.

Debatable , sure a few years ago I would of agreed. Maybe last year was just an off-year for him (as it was for many habs) or maybe it was Juneau just getting older and getting worse?

He got 36 points 2 years ago playing the 3rd line (Getting top forward minutes head-to-head against #1 lines) .... I honestly dont think he can do that from a 4th line in 03-04 getting low minutes... seriously doubt it , unless CJ switches his strategy again and puts Juneau back up against top lines... ... And even then 35 points is a stretch.