Denis Savard answered Spidey's question in Black Hawks chat

http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/fans/chat...status=Inactive

Hawk Chat with Denis Savard

Michael Gedemer (Racine WI): What is the hardest part about coaching today's players as compared to twenty years ago?

Denis Savard: Well, 20 years ago I wasn't coaching... but I think that players are better today overall, just like most things in the world. The equipment is better, also when I played, you were more on a 9 month schedule, now it's year round. They're better conditioned than when I played.

Jason Pardy (Goulds, Newfoundland, Canada): Hi Denis! First of all I'd like to say that I'm a big fan of yours. I'm a die hard Habs fan so my question to you is this; In 1993 you won the Stanley Cup with the Montreal Canadiens, Could you share with me and the many Black Hawk fans here today what the 93 Cup run was like and what sticks out most in your mind about it today?

Denis Savard: It's a year I'll never forget. Playing for my "home" team, I didn't think it would ever happen and it did. Quite an experience really, for my brothers and friends to be there. Your ultimate goal is to win the Cup, but your first goal is just to play in the NHL. But to have won the Cup and be inducted into the Hall of Fame, is pretty special. Our chemistry was great on that team, and chemistry is so important in any sport you play or field you work in. It kept us going.

tom lampl (alsip il): savy what year was the most disapointing for you wearing a blackhawk sweater? and what year was the most satisfing ? who are you the most high on in the blackhawk system right now? thanks tom

Denis Savard: I never had a disappointing season with the Hawks to tell you the truth. I was very lucky to play with them as long as I did. There were years obviously I thought we could have won it all. When you have to face Edmonton in the semifinals in the years we did, I understand these were kind of disappointing times. But I understand we were playing probably one of the greatest teams of all-time. Those years were probably disappointing, but we gave everything we had, and Edmonton was just one of the best teams of my era. Those same years were the most satisfying to tell you the truth. We got beat by the World Champions, so that's why they were disappointing but satisfying at the time. Playing in front of our fans was such a big thing and they supported us and expected us to play hard and that's what we gave back. I'm high on Ruutu obviosly, this kid Barker is going to be a really good d-man.. and the goalie situation. I'm not sure which kid is better, but I think we're pretty set there and that's the most important position in hockey.

Karl (Chicago): Which of the current crop of D-men prospects not currently with the big club do you most look forward to having come up and why?

Denis Savard: Well, Cam Barker... I believe that he has all the tools to be a great defenseman. I was impressed at the Prospects Camp last summer with the way he handled the puck and the way he sees the ice, and he's the type of player who likes to join the rush and that's what we've missed with the exception of Berard. We haven't had that for quite a few years and this kid is going to bring that to us.

Joe Sarti (Woodridge): What's your favorite cheese?

Denis Savard: I don't know the names of them. Usually when we go places for cheese, my wife orders it and I say I like it and ask what it is, then forget the name of it.

Blair Rowsell (Botwood, Newfoundland, Canada.): You are my all time favorite player,I was just wondering if any of your goals that you scored sort of stand out as a favorite?Is there one that puts a smile on your face when you think about it? The greatest goal in the history of the nhl, is the one you scored against Edmonton where you deked out their entire line. Thank You.

Denis Savard: That was probably my best goal. Obviously that's the one I enjoyed the most, especially against a team like the Oilers.

Chris (Niagara Falls, Ont): Denis...First of all thank you for the many memorable moments that you provided this Hawk Fan. One of the things that has bothered me over the last couple of years has been the glaring ommission of Steve Larmer to the Hockey Hall of Fame. Do you believe that they will ever wise up and induct him some day???

Denis Savard: I think he deserves it. Steve Larmer, and I played with him for many years, is probably the best two-way player -- in the top 5, anyway -- who ever played this game. He's got my vote, no question.

jason sutton (chicago): Do you think there will be a season next year? Will the former NHL players return?

Denis Savard: I'm very optimistic that there will be a season. I believe that we'll get a deal done. Hockey is a great game and obviously I and all our fans have missed it a lot. I think they'll work it out. I don't see our game going two years without it. They're talking and they have to continue to do that.

Marco Santi (Kenosha, WI): Denis, speed, speed, and more speed ! For a guy that made a living being Mr. Excitement, don't you think that speed would be a positive direction to go towards or to work on with current players ? I know that size has really come to the forefront in hockey, but it seems historically that speed has much more success. Tell me what you think? Meci !

Denis Savard: I agree 100 percent. I think there's a few things that are important to building a hockey team -- being able to skate, character people and an atmosphere where the chemistry is as good as it can be. The bottom line is that if you need to play for each other. So speed (being able to skate), character and chemistry is crucial. After that, you have to build a system that matches your team. If you have speed, it makes things a lot easier.

Charlie Jensen (manitoba canada): What will it take to make the hawks a contender? I've been a fan since the last stanley cup and I can't live forever waiting for another one. the hawks are rebuilding every year but the results suck so far. would like a cup before I die. is that asking too much. I don't think so.

Denis Savard: No, it's not too much to ask. That's my goal too and everybody's goal in our organization. I feel that the next two years is going to show what direction we're on. Our kids, if they become the players I think they'll be, we'll have a contender soon.

Alfonso Maiorana (Montreal, Quebec canada): Hi Denis, Great to talk to you. Long time fan! Being the most creative and dynamic centerman in Blackhawk history, do you see anyone in our youth system (i.e. Bolland) able to be a legitimate number one for the future. And should Chicago fans believe the organization is making an effort to draft someone like Crosby to put the franchise back where it belongs, on top?

Denis Savard: We wanted character on our team first and Bolland does bring that for us, for sure. And from what I saw last summer, he has the will to become a #1 or #2 centerman. He's a great kid. As far as excited to play and desire, I saw in him the same things I had at that age.

joe (plainfield, ill): hi denny, the night they retired your number there was a video being shot around the concession stands, just the fans saying what they wanted about you. did you ever receive it and or watch it. Also do you still keep in contact with big al secord? one more, do you still have your balcony bums jacket we gave you back in the old barn? love you, you're the best player i ever saw.

Denis Savard: Yeah, I did get that tape and watched it. It's a great tape and it was a great night. People that come to my house like to watch it so they get it out every once in a while. As a matter of fact, I talked to Al Secord on Tuesday. Al is doing great. He's got two kid, a 2 year old and 4 year old now. Balcony Bums.. hmmm... I probably do. I don't throw things out. I have a lot of stuff that has been given to me in storage at my house. There's not too much stuff that is displayed yet. Some day I'm going to get it all out and make a room out of it.

dave (chicago): What forward prospects do you think will make the team next year?

Denis Savard: Training camp will decide that. Nobody is guaranteed a job. We know that Rene Bourque has a lot pf potential to make the team next year. Babchuk possibly and I think Pavel Vorobiev has really become a better player in the last year. Depending on how many spots we have open, but if they come in and deserve it, they'll be on the team ... It's been really good chatting with all of you. I hope to see you all in September. I miss the game and I'm looking forward to getting back at it and getting the Hawks on the right track.

2C2378FF0AB14BBA9D3D545C9378DF62.jpg

[Edited on 2005/5/22 by Spider-Man NL]

Wow, that's a very good chat.

Good question Spidey. I remember by the end of the 93 Cup run, Savard was injured and acted as Demers assistant-coach. Maybe that's the time his after-career started.