What if Price picks up where he left off?

Guest Stogey24

I think that, in a city that made sense, Theo would be the ideal backup for Price. A true veteran who knows the city, has seen the highs and lows, and is capable of playing for stretches as a starter - thus pushing Price a little bit.

Two problems with this scenario. One: we already have a backup. Two: Theo is francophone. And that means a huge chunk of the media and fanbase will be fanatically insistent that HE become the starter the minute Price has a bad game. This is a city that booed Saku Koivu over rumours he'd clashed with...Mike Ribeiro.

Do we really want to set the dogs of nationalism yapping at Price's ass, in addition to the mountains of pressure that automatically come with being a goalie in Montreal? I can't see how that's healthy.

It's another small example of the costs associated with the Habs' "French" identity. We can't hire the best coach if he's not francophone...and in this case, we can't hire the best backup for the opposite reason.

I think that, in a city that made sense, Theo would be the ideal backup for Price. A true veteran who knows the city, has seen the highs and lows, and is capable of playing for stretches as a starter - thus pushing Price a little bit.

Two problems with this scenario. One: we already have a backup. Two: Theo is francophone. And that means a huge chunk of the media and fanbase will be fanatically insistent that HE become the starter the minute Price has a bad game. This is a city that booed Saku Koivu over rumours he'd clashed with...Mike Ribeiro.

Do we really want to set the dogs of nationalism yapping at Price's ass, in addition to the mountains of pressure that automatically come with being a goalie in Montreal? I can't see how that's healthy.

It's another small example of the costs associated with the Habs' "French" identity. We can't hire the best coach if he's not francophone...and in this case, we can't hire the best backup for the opposite reason.

Cucumber you are probably right again, I was thinking with my logical hockey head and neglected the fanatic aspect of the Habs. While it would make sense anywhere else, this is Montreal. Unfortunate really. I am of french descent and I just want this team to forking win, I dont care if they all speak chinese., (to quote Guy Carboneau) :habslogo:

I said most of the year that the Habs were smoke and mirrors...I was pushing for them to sell some guys at the deadline to acquire, hopefully, some 1st round picks - or at least enough to package up and move into the top 5.

Sure, we all hoped for the Cup when they were winning.

To now see people throw Price under the bus when the team was clearly, in my mind anyways, over performing and overrated is just stupidity. Price is perhaps the easy scapegoat as the goalie...they can throw around GAA as if its an all encompassing stat on goalie performance. All while you can ignore all the other factors/variables.

This team has some great pieces to build around. They are clearly: Price, Subban, Emelin, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty...throw in a nice mix of peripheral guys: Gorges, Plekanec, Gallagher, Markov (thank god he can still play). Even if you think Price is not the next coming of Roy/Dryden you still don't move one of the best young goalies in the league unless the package is ridiculously in your favour...and most teams won't overpay for goalies...most also prefer to build their teams around guys from within their organization.

IF you are a poster who wants Price moved what do you think they can get for him? Honestly answer that...take a look at what the Leafs just gave up to get Bernier (it wasn't much...and many think the Leafs overpaid). I'd love to see what people think he's worth in a trade if they think he's a poor goalie.

If this team had the picks to deal into the top 5...and enough $$$ to sign a couple guys this off-season...they'd be FAR better off going into next year. Instead we'll see another mediocre season and idiots throwing Mtl's top young talent under the bus...all because they are dumber then a bag of pucks and are the reason management is literally afraid to take the necessary steps to build a legit winner. I said it before...they should have blown out the dead weight and/or easily replaced vets: Gionta, Desharnais, Eller, Bourque, Ryder, Bouillon. I'd rather we missed the playoffs with a clear rebuild effort then watch that crap...the 16 team playoff schedule, and just making it has lead to idiocy amongst the fans and media...and allowed management to hide behind the playoff curtain.