Report from RDS.ca

habsfan88

I translated this from google, and it is not in the greatest english, but you can understand somewhat what the article is saying. It is quite interesting..gainey wants Aucoin it seems.. Here it is:

(Photo PC) Bob Gainey Friday July 29, 2005 - MONTREAL (PC) - Bob Gainey discussed with two formations in the hope to improve the row of selection of the Canadian of Montreal for the fishing out which will take place Saturday in Ottawa.

"We received phone calls of one or two teams which are in front of us", said the general manager of Tricolour at the time of an abstract point of press in a hotel of Gatineau. "We also had calls of one or two teams which are behind us. I do not hide you my preference to go up rather than to go down."

Gainey noted that the chances to see the Canadian compromising are not very high at a few hours of the fishing out.

"It is a possibility but I acknowledge that it is not very probable at the time when one speaks oneself. The things could however evolve/move Saturday morning."

Mighty Ducks d' Anaheim already announced to be laid out to exchange their second rank of selection. The general manager Brian Burke had talks but it did not receive any enough serious proposal to compromise. Its counterpart Jim Rutherford, of Hurricanes of the Caroline, does not intend to yield its third rank of selection. It could however receive offers if nothing frees side of Mighty Ducks.

"One remains in an advantageous position no matter what it arrives, put forward Gainey. One is likely to choose with the fifth rank without to have finished 2ë with the classification."

Adrian Aucoin

Gainey confirmed to be in the search of a defender and an attacker of foreground.

The departure of Patrice Brisebois will oblige Gainey to find a defender droitier preferably. The name of Adrian Aucoin comes quickly at the head from string. Autonomous player without compensation, Aucoin defended the colors of Islanders of New York these three last seasons. In 2003-2004, the native defender of Ottawa marked 13 goals and collected 44 points in 81 matches. He played on average more than 26 minutes per meeting.

Aucoin, which is 32 years old, has a shooting-gun as the 23 goals prove it which it registered in Vancouver in 1998-1999. Eighteen of these goals were it in numerical superiority.

With the attack, the name of Alexeï Kovalev does not cease remaking surface. In theory, Gainey cannot discuss with Kovalev before Monday. But of the rumours imply that the two parts already had a maintenance. To follow.

So 2 teams drafting in front of Montreal called Gainey. There's 4 teams and I dont think Pittsburgh is one of them.

Anaheim's most likely one, so who's the other? Carolina or Minnesota?

At this point, only Anaheim's pick would be worth a trade up, so we could grab Johnson for sure. If someone else moves in #2 and picks someone else than Johnson, try again with Carolina.

I read the article in its original language and, yes, it does mention Aucoin's name but from the context, it doesn't seem to come from Gainey's corner but from RDS's speculation.

I read a number of talk-backs on RDS and Aucoin's name comes up fairly often as a desirable player. So, is this just the author's real thoughts? Is it his means of giving his readers more brain candy to toss around? I don't know.

One thing I'm pretty confident about, the Aucoin factor isn't one from Gainey's mouth or from a leak. In both cases, that would have been specifically stated.

Aucoin is going to be in pretty high demand, just behind Niedermayer [depending on how high his salary demands truly are] and up there with Rafalski. I'd like to see the Habs pick him up if his salary demands are not too high. If that plan fails, then look for the Habs to sign an experienced defenceman like Jason Marshall or Montreal native Jason Doig[both right handed shooters] to bolster the defence.

I'm surprised that no one has thought of MARK STREITZ. He's already in the Canadiens organization. He's in the same mold as Brian Rafalski but potentially better (and he's only 27).

Dan Linn had this to say about him in his article 'Montreal Canadiens Top 30 Prospects' (2005-05-22):

12. MARK STREIT - D. Streit at 27 is really too old to be considered a prospect, but it's hard to over look his impressive set of skills and the way he plays the game. After being drafted last summer as an overager, Streit enjoyed a career year in the LNSW, and represented his team at the World Championships, where he showed why the Canadiens were interested in picking him up. Streit isn't the biggest guy, but he skates well both forwards and backwards, has good speed, but it's his positional play as well as being very intelligent in reading the plays both defensively and offensively. Looked very strong in his one on one play and along the boards, which must be very encouraging for the Canadiens management including Mr. Gauither who was the brains behind selecting him.

The '12' means that he's the twelfth best prospect in the organization. He's their third best defenseman in waiting. The only other one who's 'ready' is Ron Hainsey. Ryan O'Byrne is way too young yet.

If you want to read the whole article, here it is:

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=799

[Edited on 2005/8/1 by shortcat1]