I'm starting to like our defence

TheAussiePosse

I was reading somewhere, and the writer posted this defensive lineup:

Markov-Rivet

Souray-Komisarek

Hainsey-Quintal

With Brisebois, Dykhuis, Bouillion and Traverse as spares.

And sure, if Brisebois doesn't go anywhere, he'll take Hainsey's spot, or something like that. I have a feeling BG will give him a chance at training-camp/Preseason/maybe even reg. season. Likewise with Dykhuis (unfortunately).

Idunno, Traverse will go to Hamilton, and potentially Hainsey too, but Bouillion has a one-way contract (is that correct?), so will probably substitute in and out of the lineup

But if you look at it, it's actually pretty solid. Rivet is a solid defenseman, and even if he doesn't play like the Team Canada showing, he'll still be strong enough in his own zone. Souray isn't officially back yet, but he played well in the playoffs 2 seasons ago, so we can probably expect more of the same. Quintal is similar to Rivet defensively, although will probably hit more because there are more similar physical Ds on the team (Souray, Komi, mebbe Rivet). Markov will excel if Brisebois is not there, as he'll play on the top PP unit and even strength unit. If Brisebois is there, and plays on 2nd PP unit and 2nd ES unit, it will cut down on ice time, but maybe cut down on mistakes as well.

Komisarek will continue to improve, and Hainsey will get his chances during the year. Dykhuis will hopefully not replicate last season, but if he does... I really hope Bob doesn't give him that chance though. Or he leaves via waiver draft. Or trade. Or UFO. Or...

Anyway, my point is that our defense looks stronger, and will probably be 2x better than last season. Add to that an improved and revamped Jose Theodore, an eager-to-please Mathieu Garon, and I reckon we can play well enough in the final non-cap season to make the playoffs.

Or not, maybe it can be our last non playoff year so we can get a good draft spot. And shore up our future once and for all.

Anyway, I end on the point: we have a strong defense

[Edited on 2003/7/18 by TheAussiePosse]

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

I was reading somewhere, and the writer posted this defensive lineup:

Markov-Rivet

Souray-Komisarek

Hainsey-Quintal

- Markov is very good right now.

- Komi/Hainsey are 2 kids who still have a lot to improve, they'll be good soon enough but right now they are average.

- Rivet has lingering wrist problems, and even without that he's prone to bonehead plays that'll make your curse at your TV

- Souray has been operated on his wrist 3 times, hasn't played meaningful hockey since May '02. And even when he was healthy he wasn't any good except for that 2 week stretch in the playoffs.

Before those playoffs he was rumored to be on the block and for good reason since he sucked.

- Quintal is a good guy, only one who protects his teammates, but he's slow... and getting slower with every passing season.

And if Breezer somehow stays... well there's no point explaining why that would make things even worse.

Point is: our defense ain't that good. Aside from Markov, there isn't another Dman I trust in this year's edition of the Habs.

If Rivet gets his head out of his ass and starts playing like he can, if Souray is first of all healthy & recaptures his '02 playoffs form, if the kids Komi/Hainsey start to get the hang of it after a while, and if Breezer is gone.... only then will I start saying this D is good.

Those are a lot of "ifs"... the kids should be ok but the vets worry me more.

[Edited on 18-7-03 by Habs77]

how on earth is souray going to step in as our 3rd d-man after ~2+ years away from the game on a consistent level.

its not going to happen.

additionally, having brisebois as a reserve or 7th d-man is ridiculous. assuming hainsey will automatically beat brisebois out of a spot doesnt make much sense. no way in hell will brisebois be out of the top 6--it just doesnt make sense.

all we should agree on is that he isnt a #1 d-man....no harm in that....to assert, however, that he cant be a top 6 d-man on a relatively weak defense such as our is just silly.

me i would say that sometimes a break (1-2 years) has positive impact (cf. saku, mario). Souray might get pumped up and have a real desire to play now. If he's 100% healthy, he would like to use his body and make rock hits. He'll feel alive, after many months of rehabilitation and suffering. Souray is still a key dman on our d-chart. We need his size and physical presence.

What I like about our defense, it's his size.. habs are building a good, solid defense

Komi 6-4

Quintal 6-3

Hainsey 6-2

Rivet 6-2

Souray 6-2

Briser 6-2

Markov 6-0

We need a big, solid defense to backup our little (but skilled) forwards!

<me i would say that sometimes a break (1-2 years) has positive impact (cf. saku, mario). Souray might get pumped up and have a real desire to play now. If he's 100% healthy, he would like to use his body and make rock hits. He'll feel alive, after many months of rehabilitation and suffering. Souray is still a key dman on our d-chart. We need his size and physical presence.

What I like about our defense, it's his size.. habs are building a good, solid defense >

i do see your point.....but.......we are talking about sheldon souray. while he was playing he was one of the players that frustrated me the most

saku and mario are another story....they have always been very talented determined players so it isnt much of a suprise to see them reclaim their game....

also remember that saku came back playing a few shifts his 1st game back then had some additonal time between the regular season and the playoffs....same for mario too--largely he was dtd....

i just think it is far more realistic to assume that souray will need a bit of a segue to get back into the habs D let alone top 4.

but hey....he could prove me completely wrong which i would love but based on what i know of him as a player, i would wager otherwise.

:hlogo:

Originally posted by un_habitant

how on earth is souray going to step in as our 3rd d-man after ~2+ years away from the game

Very easily... playing D is like riding a bike, once you learn how you never forget :)

Seriously, it's a lot easier for a stay at home D man to get back into the game than a forward. Plus last time he missed significant time & came back - while still injured by the way - he played his best hockey ever.

If this time he comes back healthy he should be even better. Not to mention that he won't be trying to jump back into the lineup in mid-season here, he has all of training camp to get back into the flow.

My only concern with him is health wise, I have no concerns about him having to find his game again... none whatsoever.

(should be easy to find, he didn't that much game to begin with... hehe)

As for how he can jump back in and be in the top 4... it's quite simple: all he has to do is beat out Dykhuis, Traverse, and rookie Hainsey.

It's almost automatic.

additionally, having brisebois as a reserve or 7th d-man is ridiculous.  assuming hainsey will automatically beat brisebois out of a spot doesnt make much sense. no way in hell will brisebois be out of the top 6--it just doesnt make sense.

Hard for Hainsey to beat Breezer out of a spot since they don't play the same side... but of course you're right in that the only way Breezer won't play if he's been dealt or is injured.

I actually hate our defense right now.

The future looks strong with Komi, Hainsey and Markov but right now it's simply awful.

In my opinion, our defense and poor special teams played a large contribution to Theodores collapse last year. I don't see that changing this year.

Rivet had more turnovers then Breezy in about 8 less minutes a game just 2 years ago. Rivet shouldn't be a top 4 d-man. He's a solid #5 guy but that's the extent of it right now. He has the potential to be on the 2nd pairing but he hasn't, and likely won't, get there.

Honestly I'd like to see:

Markov - TRADE(acquire a good phyiscal, defensive partner for Markov)

Souray - Komisarek(Breezy can be part of the trade bait for above)

Hainsey - Rivet

Now this is assuming Souray can come back and play like he is able to. The 2nd and 3rd pairings would play fairly even minutes. The top pairing would get 26+ minutes a game.

Originally posted by Zowpeb

I actually hate our defense right now.

Honestly I'd like to see:

Markov - TRADE(acquire a good phyiscal, defensive partner for Markov)

Souray - Komisarek(Breezy can be part of the trade bait for above)

Hainsey - Rivet

Paying Rivet 3M to play on the 3rd pairing doesn't work for me.

I say sign UFA Klee and trade Rivet to upgrade elsewhere. Then:

Markov-Komisarek

Souray-Klee

Hainsey-Quintal

Markov is our best D man right now... he'll help out Komi more than anyone else, and their styles are a perfect match. I also want these two to have the most ice-time, putting them together allows that.

Hainsey would eventually switch places with Souray once he proves he's ready... leaving Hainsey with solid vet Klee and reuniting the Souray-Quintal pair that did so well in the playoffs 2 years ago.

By not having a replacement for Breezer as PP quarterback on the right side... Komi would play that part, or we could go with a forward at the point.

Quintal would be replaced by Archer or via ufa/trade in a year or 2... and O'Byrne will replace Klee in 4-5 years.