Brulé signs with Jackets

Rooster

Link on RDS

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/189242.html

He got some nice rookie dollars too!

Nice to see that the kid who could have been a habs doing well......taking nothing away from Price who will probably be more valuable to the organization.

I hope they aren't bringing him in for a 10 game tryout in place of the injured Rick Nash. I was really hoping to see Nash when I go to the home opener on Friday. I haven't seen him live since his rookie season.

Originally posted by shortcat1

RDS TV is announcing in that news strip below the image:

"Gilbert Brulé a signé un contrat d'un an avec les Capitals de Washington, un contrat d'un an."

Hmmm.... do they know something......? :eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:;)

Ah... now they've corrected it. :D:D:D

Columbus has no depth up front at all, and I think they hope to capitalize on the Crosby vs. Brule publicity. They are the only two 2005 draft picks to stick, I think. But Brule is really overrated. He is similar to Scotty Upshall, Jamie Lundmark, Darcy Tucker. Scrappy third line role players.

There is Crosby/Brule publicity? That's interesting, I haven't heard a single word about Brule vs. Crosby. The publicity is squarely upon the shoulders of Crosby.

As for Brule's upside, I think the Jackets would be quite happy if he turned out like Darcy Tucker. With playmakers like Nash and Zherdev up front, they need a scrappy third liner who can mix it up while adding some points.

Scrappy third-liner? Whenever I thought of Brulé I thought of pure offense, speed and puck-handling. Guess I'm wrong. The Jackets really need this guy to blossom early. They're desperate. Then again if he takes a while, they can finish with another great draft choice and then they'll be set in a couple of years.

With or without Brule, the Blue Jackets are going to be contenders for a late playoff spot. They made great UFA signings with Berard and Foote, and with Nash and Zherdev still coming into their own, things are looking up for the Jackets. With a decent team in front of him, Marc Denis will finally put up some good numbers.

Brule might take Marchant's spot as the #2 center, but that seems unlikely to me. He was a solid scorer in juniors, but most of the scouting reports I heard concentrated more on his edge than his scoring. I think he'll contribute offensively, but I don't think he will be an offensive force.

Jan Hrdina is slated to be the #1 center, playing with Nash and Vyborny.

Personally, I have no idea where Brule will fit. I would think they want Fritsche on the 3rd line, so they probably won't want two rookies on the third line. They brought in Hrdina specifically to center the first line from what I've heard. And putting Brule on the 4th line doesn't make any sense.

[Edited on 10-4-05 by Fanpuck33]