Impact of Gainey's arrival

Habs77

On another board someone said:

Rivet is Koivu's best buddy...he's not going

anywhere.

To which I replied:

Sorry but that's the worst argument ever... Savage & Recchi used to be best buddies with Saku last time I checked they no longer play for the Habs.

Do you really think GMs talk like this? :

Gainey: Hey, I was wondering if Worrell & Huselius were available.

Dudley: They might be, I need a D man... is Rivet available?

Gainey: Oh, sorry there Rick... Rivet is tight with Saku so no way am I trading him.

Dudley: Shit, I didn't know. But I understand where you're coming from, Worrell & Huselius are the only guys with no friends on the team.. that's why I can move them.

Gainey: Breezer doesn't have any friends, you like him?

Dudley: Hehe, good one Bob. But let me know if Rivet & Saku's friendship fizzles... we might have a deal.

Gainey: You got it buddy, catch you later.

(later)

Gainey calls Saku's home and leaves a message: "hey Hanna it's Craig, I had a great time last night... gimme a call once Saku leaves for practice ok? I'm on the DL so I can come over while he's at practice"

André Savard walks in as Gainey is leaving the message: "Wow Bob, thank god you took over... I'm learning so much"

Gainey just sits back in his chair... with the satisfaction of a job well done.

(the end)

I thought I'd share the story here.. how I think Gainey's presence might be helping the Habs, and how GMs deal with other GMs. ;)