Random Trade Coincedence

BTH

I was flipping through the player profiles in my NHL Official Guide and Record Book when I found this trade.

"Patrick Poulin

Traded to Tampa Bay by Chicago with Igor Ulanov and Chicago's 2nd round choice (later traded to New Jersey - New Jersey selected Pierre Dagenais) in 1996 Entry Draft for Enrico Ciccone and Tampa Bay's 2nd round choice (Jeff Paul) in 1996 Entry Draft, March 20, 1996."

Poulin, Ulanov and Dagenais for Ciccone and Paul. Of course, all 5 players ended up playing for the Habs in the following years. Including Pierre Dagenais and Jeff Paul who currently play there. Ciccone retired, Poulin was sent to the minors and fell off the face of the Earth and Ulanov was traded to Edmonton (with Alain Nesreddine) for Christian Laflamme (remember him!?:puke: ) and Mathieu Descoteaux.

Just a little coincidence I saw.

[Edited on 2005/10/16 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

Originally posted by Makh2o

I guess this just goes to show you how poor our management/scouting was.....

Oh, come on! Many other teams traded for players that didn't work out, 'fell off the face of the earth', etc. Montreal's management/scouting may have had some years where those they hoped would turn out didn't. It happens.

1996 & 1997 were the two worst years in Montreal's draft history (that I could find). Yet, they did get Jason Ward (who'se career was torpedoed by a series of injuries) and Mathieu Garon who, in another situation might have turned out to be a super catch for Montreal. He may very well turn out good for LA.