RDS Broadcast

HaliHab

I remember a few posts a week or so ago about the poor quality of the commentating on RDS... (sorry I couldn't find the thread). My French is quite poor so that's not as relevant for me as another problem - THE VISUAL!

I really enjoyed seeing the young man in the Habs jersey singing the national anthem, I wish I could remeber his name, he did a GREAT JOB, he sung his heart out! However it really would have been nice to see it before the game started instead of watching Yvon Pedenault and Alain Crete blather on about Dagenais...

We didn't get to watch the Habs first powerplay live, and missed the goal because they were still showing a 'replay' of the national anthem. Once isn't a big deal, but whenever they do a highlite pack or cut to commercials during a scheduled TV timeout they always miss 10-20 seconds of play before getting back to the game...

Does anyone else notice this or am I just going crazy?

No I was mad that we missed the goal too. And also, they should have let us seen the anthem (sung by Jérémy Gabriel) live and we wouldn't have missed anything in middle of the game.

Ribeiro likes to bully the others on the ice judging by what he said while he was miked.

Cute kid, but i am not into that, never liked Different Strokes, Brady Bunch or other shows about kids, so when I am watching hockey I don't want to miss a powerplay to see someones kid sing. Take it to Oprah. If they can squeeze it in ok, I will go get a beer, but never during play.

Yes, that was a blooper by RDS. Even my wife, who's not a hockey fan was amazed by the faux-pas. Someone's back of the head probably got whacked on that one.

RDS can be a bit too Quebecois-anal (I'm a Canadien-Francais who lives in Gatineau, QC) but they paid some $80M plus for the rights to broadcast the Canadiens. I think they are pretty good at game coverage but their parent network tsn gives them scraps to work with.

Originally posted by ~moeman

RDS can be a bit too Quebecois-anal (I'm a Canadien-Francais who lives in Gatineau, QC) but they paid some $80M plus for the rights to broadcast the Canadiens. I think they are pretty good at game coverage but their parent network tsn gives them scraps to work with.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by that.

Originally posted by ~moeman

tsn gets big $$$ from ESPN for lavish sets and tech wizardry, RDS, tsn's sister station gets handmedowns.

Ok... I guess you're right... but thanks for the clarification.

and what is up with that kid doing a 5 minute segment between the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Meanwhile the CBC has the satelite hotstove...what gives? Can't they geta respectable french-canadian hockey analyst to speak intelligently about the game/the Habs on RDS between periods?

I guess they are trying to get young fans, but surely getting Youppi! as a mascot has to be enough.

Originally posted by habmanonthepacific

and what is up with that kid doing a 5 minute segment between the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Meanwhile the CBC has the satelite hotstove...what gives? Can't they geta respectable french-canadian hockey analyst to speak intelligently about the game/the Habs on RDS between periods?

I guess they are trying to get young fans, but surely getting Youppi! as a mascot has to be enough.

PR, PR, PR, PR, PR... the name of the game is public relations - sell your product, sell your product, sell your product as much and as well as you can.

By the way, this kids thing isn't new at all with the Canadiens. I don't know if they still do it but they used to have a 'peewee' sort of game that would take place in between the 1st and 2nd periods at the Bell Center. Also, in the last season, they would have a youth night of sorts where kids would do all sorts of the production things - some commentators, the main singer, etc...