Recommendations for shootout style

mrgodo

I think we've learned our lesson: leave it to the dying minutes of the game or overtime, but not a shootout.

I didn't see a lot of pizazz in the styles of ryder, kovi or perez, so I'm wondering 1) who should be taking the shots and 2) what kind of approach should they use.

Bégin: Off centre right, full head of steam, switch to backhand then at the last second back to forehand and top right corner.

Don't think yesterday's line up was bad at all. Dags should get a shot as well when in the lineup. Gotta go with your top snipers.

It amazes me how much more goals seem to be scored on breakaways during games then on penalty shoots or shootouts. They gotta stop thinking so much.

[Edited on 2005/11/11 by Rooster]

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Dageanis should get a shot? 1-goal Dagenais? GIMME A BREAK!

The guy can't skate to save his life, but he is a very good natural goal scorer. Did you happen to see him in the preseason shootouts by any chance? He was probably second only to Kovalev (and maybe Perezhogin) in shootouts. It doesn't take grit, heart, skating abilities or great on ice sense to score shootout goals. It takes a good scoring touch and that is the one thing Dagenais has.

I was OK with the choices for the shootout. However, I was surprised that Ryder tried to deke. He's got a great shot, and should have used it. I think shooting (not deking) should be the usual approach for anyone taking the shootout (and Dags could make it work, too), due to the ice conditions at the end. Having said that, it can't be done every single time - have to keep the goalers guessing somewhat.

[Edited on 2005/11/11 by Mont Royale]