Habs claim Bégin & Langdon, no Habs claimed

GINGY4371

So Bégin is apparently a Tucker-type agitator, while Langdon is a tough guy that can actually hold his own in a fight.

I'm not very familiar with either of them, but I'm glad to see Gainey add some toughness & grit for our 4th line.

I was never a fan of playing kids on a 4th line, when we already have a small lineup on the top lines having a tough 4th line is that much more important.

This is bad news for guys like Gratton who were hoping to eventually get 4th line duty... this kinda seals the deal.

I'm happy we finally have a tough guy who can take care of himself... here's a description of his fights last year:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/player_fightca...pid=38&yr=reg03

He fought Worrell twice, Brashear... etc, so he doesn't dodge the heavyweights.

P.S. Picking up 2 players when we already had an overcrowded lineup might hint to a impending deal?

Hopefully.

The bad news of the day is that we're still stuck with Dykhuis and Traverse.

[Edited on 3-10-03 by Habs77]

Steve Begin #20 LW/C

Buffalo

DOB: Jun 14, 1978

POB: Trois-Rivieres, Que., Canada

HT: 5-11 WT: 190

Shoots: L

NHL Seasons: 4

Drafted by Calgary in 1996 (2/40).

Scouting Report

- Preseason: projected role Begin should play a fourth-line role as a shift disturber with the Sabres in 2003-04. He could set a career high for games played in Buffalo.

- Assets: Is fearless and can easily get under an opponent's skin. Possesses excellent open-ice hitting ability. Is solid in his own zone and much stronger than his size suggests.

- Flaws: Has very limited scoring ability. Tends to take bad penalties. Is undersized for his role at only 6-0, 190 pounds.

- Career potential: Fourth-line agitator.

Darren Langdon #20 LW

Vancouver

DOB: Jan 8, 1971

POB: Deer Lake, N.F., Canada

HT: 6-1 WT: 205

Shoots: L

NHL Seasons: 8

Signed by NY Rangers in 1993.

Scouting Report

- Preseason projected role: Langdon should once again play a part-time role as an enforcer with Carolina in 2002-03.

- Assets: Will fight early and often. Won't back down from a challenge and always sticks up for his mates. Has an exemplary attitude.

- Flaws: Doesn't have enough skills that are NHL-caliber, aside from his punch-up skills.

- Career potential: Langdon may stick around the NHL for another season or two but needs to show more ability to secure his future. He doesn't provide enough to an NHL team to justify more playing time.