The Cathedral Of Hockey

mathieu30

Ten years ago tonight, Maurice Richard stood on the Montreal Forum ice under the harsh, white television lights, tears streaming down his face as the noise grew and grew ... minute after minute for 10 ... 11 minutes ... until there was no longer merely noise in this hockey cathedral, but thunder engulfing it. Now and then, he would raise both arms pleading with the people ... his people:

"Enough," he seemed to be saying to them on this March 11, 1996 night when the building's lights would go dark forever. "Enough!" he said. "I was only a hockey player."

RED FISHER, Montréal Gazette, 11/03/2006

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey...42-cc1833f0c1d6

Nice article....

ESPN Classic Canada is or was supposed to have the closing ceremonies and last game in the forum on some time soon i think... ive been looking for it so i hope that i havent missed it. Does anybody know when it would be on?

:hlogo:

read it in the bus today. great article. I remember that ceremony. very emotional. I went only a few time at the forum but that place had an aura..even for a 10 year old whose dad was a bruins fan ;). this place was magical...

now It's called the pepsi forum and it's a stupid movie theatre. It breaks my heart every I walk by.

regarding the forum's last game, I have a buddy that has the molson center first game...watching it the other day, I noticed that at one point in the game, either quenneville or pedneault let a huge burp in the mike. I almost peed all over my self

Quelle concidence. I just re-watched the entire Forum Farewell on tape yesterday and even after several viewings, it still makes me bawl like a baby. I get a shiver when I hear the crowd chant "Rocket!, Rocket!" - imagine how that must have sounded when he was playing. Another favourite moment is when they pass the torch from captain to captain and how the crowd went nuts when Gainey stepped out wearing a Habs jersey - then the incredible roar when Carbo followed. Both of course, were with the visiting Dallas Stars. No sports-related 'ceremony' has ever, or will ever, match this one for class and raw emotion. That same year, the Laffs held a ceremony to close ML Gardens and I think they had Darryl Sittler skate around holding a Laffs flag, or something.