Habs let another slip away (game recap)

Habs77

I was at the game in Calgary last night, here's my take. Two very evenly matched teams. Montreal came out strong, but they did have a ton of PP in the first, including a 5min match penalty to Oliwa.

Both goalies were very good, not great, but solid. Kiprosoff (spelling??) wanted to show Sutter he made a good move and he shined, especially late. McLennen in net and Habs win. Theo was the habs best player and kept the team in it. Habs also need to stand up for him more. Flames crashed him at least 3 times last night.

Begin was Montreals best skater on the night. He was out there to prove something. He doesn't stop, just mows over people. They open the door to the bench and he flies in, then they wind him up and he goes again. He's a very hard worker. He's the only one that stood out for the Habs. Maybe Ribeiro, and sometimes the Juneau line but they couldn't finish.

Juneau's line did a good job shutting down Iginla and Reinprecht line, for the most part. They did a good job on the PK as well, especially in the third.

Koivu isn't producing because he has to worry about Rivet and Boullion behind him. The Flames first goal was 3 on Koivu in front of the net, koivu trying to clear it, while Rivet and Boullion were standing there watching. It's good that Koivu comes back, but he is more focused on defense right now, and that is wrong. Rivet also had a couple of his famous panic swipes at the puck in the game.

Souray is easily Montreal's best D. Quintal tries hard, but boy is he slow.

All of Montreals famous floaters were floating, mainly Perreault and Markov. All the talent but no effort.

Ryder said on a post game interview on Calgary's the Fan960 that they were holding back trying to get the tie, and it didn't work. My question is why weren't they going for the win? Maybe Julien is to blame for this one.

Your thoughts please.

:hlogo: :mad:

Nice to hear from people who were at the game, a few thoughts:

- As I mentionned, the Habs had some bad luck in facing Kiprusoff in his first game with the Flames... he was great, especially in the first.

- Yes the Habs need to protect their goalie more, but that has been the case for years. I really don't get why this crucial problem has lasted so long without being addressed.

- Bégin was a real find at the waiver draft, Gainey knows his stuff. He's been one of the most consistent performers on this team and is quickly become a fan favorite... one of his coach's favorites as well.

- Yes Koivu is basically a 3rd defenseman, but that's what centers ae asked to do in most defensive systems. The problem on that play was Bouillon getting hooked and turning the puck over while coming out from behind the net.

- Yes Quintal is very slow, which is why it was stupid to have him lining up at the right of the circle when Calgary scored the game winner with a minute left.

- A lot of teams play for the tie when the score is even in the 3rd period... the problem with that is that you risk losing the game outright if you make just one mistake. That's what happened to the Habs last night.

Too many teams rely on their defense to grab a point instead of pressing the play looking for the win. And we wonder why games are so boring.