Vancouver overwhelms listless Habs (game recap)

Habs77

I mentioned after the Oilers game that it might be the perfect time to rest Theodore. It was the first game back after a long road trip, and Theo had taken a lot of abuse and faced a lot of shots lately. I had a feeling Theo would have a sub-par night and that’s what he had.

I agree with you on that. Everyone knows the first game after a road trip is brutal (for whatever reason). It would have been a good idea to start Garon, who is always playing big when he finally has a chance to play.

As for Ribeiro who was on the ice when Markus scored the last goal, it's sure it wasn't part of the game plan, but probably Julien had no choice. The Morrison's line was on the ice for more than 20 minutes.. i would not be able to watch an habs game entirely if Juneau was on the ice for 20 minutes. ouuch

Well, actually, the Juneau's line played 17 min. Way too much IMO. I thought Julien's strategy was to matchup his big line againts the opposite big line (like he did when he replaced Therrien). Why did he changed his strategy? Did he found out that Koivu's line is too weak? Humm, that's sad :(

[Edited on 2003-11-26 by sakiqc]

Julien abandonned the idea of playing Koivu vs. the top lines from the start of the year. Actually since Koivu missed the first month he didn't have a 1st line period.

Juneau's line simply had a bad game vs. one of the best lines in the league. Thats said their 4th and 2nd lines also scored...

And the Theo didn't have his best game, and against a team like Vancouver the Habs need Theo to bring his A game or they have no chance.

But it's hard to blame Julien for not giving Garon a start... since the next 2 games are on consecutive nights so that was the obvious spot to give Theo a night off.

The sched didn't leave him much of a choice.

I personally thought Bouillon had a great game. Made a few nice hits, created some scoring chances and stood up for Theo when Sedin charged at the net (i know it was only Sedin, but hey, it's a start!) Bouillon played with the most heart of any habs last night for sure.

Bouillon flattens at least one player in every game he plays... often more. That's why he has stayed in the lineup. He did have a good game.

But it's nothing new, so I guess I'm starting to take it for granted.

Sundstrom on the other hand has went from awful to invisible and not dressed for most of the year... and he suddenly had a very good effort last night, so I felt I had to point it out.