Non-nhl, European Free Agents

MCeh

Recently outside of hockey, Toronto Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo quite unorthodoxly signed Maccabi Tel Aviv star Anthony Parker.

Should any NHL GM be without their sought after UFA, or find their prospects still too green, the various European pro-leagues might be the place to look:

Sportsnet.ca's "No Eurotrash Here" Article

- - - - -

Might our European HW members be able to provide insight into a player or two?

With the revamped, redesigned, new-NHL; I would agree that there now exists a good possibility that players from europe could enter our market via free agency. But for that to happen, teams need to pay up for players to make a life style change. Often most of these players by this point in their careers have established a name, reputation and life style. Leaving all that behind could be too costly to match.€

As well, moving across the pond is that must tougher now wth the cap system. Teams would rather bring rookie's in cheap make sure they are the real deal before giving them the now very precious dollars under their caps in the bigs!

We don't have room for them but if we did, I would definitely give a Euro a shot. I've always liked Maxim Sushinski, for example.

Looks like the Russians have yet to sign the player transfer agreement. Now the NHL says with or without the deal the NHL will sign players to its league next year. Does anyone understand this enough to explain it? Why have an agreement if we can sign them anyway?

full article.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp...717_145932_4500