Cover Boy

Spider-Man NL

Ryder made the cover of the Express today! The Express is a free weekly publication. There were three stories inside about him. I can't type them all here, so, I'll give you the cliff notes version.

Midway through last season, Julien was hired to coach the Canadiens. This year in training camp, Ryder made the squad. However, don't tell him Julien is the reason the 23 year old is playing with the Habs.

"I don't think he's the reason I"m here," Ryder said candidly in the storied Montreal dressing room last week prior to a Tuesday game against the Vancouver Canucks. "I worked hard and I earned my spot on the team. I played well in camp. I earned my spot to be here. I don't think it's just because of him.

"He gave me the opportunity to prove myself, and I'm grateful for that opportunity. But I think I earned a spot on ths team."

----

"The Montreal Canadiens dressing room in the Bell Centre is shrouded in history. Photos of every Canadiens' captain adorn the walls, along with the famous phrase from In Flanders Fields the club took with it when the Forum closed.

Occasionally, when he's in the room, Ryder finds himself gawking at the history on the walls. It's a continuous battle, he says, to believe he's a full-time NHL player.

"First when you get here, you look around and say, 'Wow,'" he acknowledged. "You can't believe that you're here. But now it's starting to sink in, and I'm beginning to realize I"m part of this. Still, to look around and see the players you watched growing up, and now to play with them is great.

"It's still just a dream to be here. It's every kid's dream to be in the NHL, especially coming from Newfoundland and a small town.

"I'm just happy to be a part of this organization and happy to be here."