CBC puts Cherry on 7-second delay

habitual_hab

cherry_maclean_file.jpg

TORONTO - The CBC has decided to put an end to "reprehensible" remarks by Hockey Night in Canada commentator Don Cherry.

Harold Redekopp, the executive vice-president of CBC Television, says the network will put Cherry on a seven-second delay after he made "inappropriate and reprehensible personal" comments during the broadcast on Jan. 24.

During the first period intermission Cherry spoke out about players wearing visors on their helmets. In full flight he said, "most of the guys that wear them are Europeans or French guys ..."

The remark was roundly criticized by French language groups across the country. Canada's Official Languages Commissioner Dyane Adam also noticed. A spokesperson said the commissioner feels it's an "important enough issue that she's going to investigate" whether Cherry's remarks violate the Official Languages Act.

The CBC will now put Coach's Corner on a seven-second delay. "This practice is common on many live broadcasts and is in effect immediately," Redekopp said.

The controversy swept across Parliament on Friday, too. The Bloc Québécois called Cherry's remarks racist. And Denis Coderre the minister responsible for la Francophonie, says he's fed up with Cherry.

"Frankly, I think that when you are talking about it and calling the Frenchmen wimps, I mean it's unacceptable."

NDP Leader Jack Layton said he was annoyed by the implication about French Canadian hockey players. "One of my most vivid memories is going to the Montreal Forum with my dad, at age six, and seeing Boom Boom Geoffrion, Maurice Richard, the Pocket Rocket [Henri Richard], playing the most amazing hockey. They are some of the greatest hockey players in Canadian history."

cbc story link