Roenick hit by puck, suffers broken jaw

Spider-Man NL

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=71979

Associated Press

2/12/2004

NEW YORK (CP-AP) - Centre Jeremy Roenick broke his jaw Thursday night when he was struck in the face by a puck during the Philadelphia Flyers' 2-1 win over the New York Rangers.

Roenick was taken to St. Vincent's Hospital for X-rays, and the Flyers said on their media hotline he suffered a broken and lacerated jaw.

Roenick said he was unconscious for about a minute.

``When I came to I was spitting up blood,'' he said. ``I just made sure I didn't choke on my blood. ...

``Right now my jaw is very unstable, but my head is clear,'' said Roenick. ``We'll get it wired up as soon as possible, hopefully it won't be too long.''

Dr. Andrew Feldman, the Rangers' physician, said surgery is likely for Roenick.

``Jeremy ... sustained a very bad fracture of the left jaw ... he was out pretty much for three or four minutes,'' said Feldman. ``The jaw is a problem and I'm sure he's going to need surgery on that.''

The puck caught Roenick in the face and he collapsed in a pool of blood to the left of Flyers goalie Sean Burke with 15:51 remaining in the third period.

``I was on the ice and it was a bang-bang play,'' said Flyers forward Tony Amonte. ``I don't think he had a chance to see it before it hit him.''

Roenick was motionless for several minutes before getting up and slowly leaving the ice while clutching a towel to his face. He waved to the fans, who gave him an ovation as he left.

``It's not often you get cheered at Madison Square Garden,'' Roenick said through team spokesman Zack Hill. ``They showed a lot of class and I wanted to respond.''

Roenick was later helped onto a stretcher and taken to hospital.

``He had the presence of mind to wave to the crowd,'' Amonte said. ``He had his bearings, but it definitely didn't look pretty out there.

``This is a huge loss. We're going to cross our fingers and hope for the best.''

Roenick, who assisted on Simon Gagne's goal, is the Flyers' No. 2 scorer with 45 points on 18 goals and 27 assists.

The Flyers lost another centre less than a minute later. Keith Primeau was helped from the ice after a collision with the Rangers' Bobby Holik.

``He got his bell rung,'' said Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock. ``He's feeling a little better now.

``We'll give you a better update (Friday) at practice.''

Actually its a shattered jaw which is much worse then a broken one (which Roenick already suffered thanks to D.Hatcher years back) ...

JR is one tough sob though , I bet he'll be back in 2-3 weeks

Ohh yeah ... In other NHL news (this doesnt deserve its own thread) Sens signed Rob Ray ... This is the 2nd time in 2 seasons thats the Sens have acquired Ray this late in the season.