Yanic Perreault

Fanpuck33_

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Anyone know if he is playing anywhere during the lockout? I'd like to see if he's bumming it up like he did his last two years in a Habs jerssey, or if he's actually trying for once.

I havent heard of him playing anywhere this lockout, but he could be... who knows.

I doubt even the Europeans would want that floater.

Whoa, whoa... Perreault would probably benefit playing on a larger ice surface. Why does everybody seems to forgett that Perreault is this teams most reliable scorer on a season basis over the last few years?!

I would have loved Perreault play in europe and I do think that we will see him again in a Habs jersey once we see some NHL action again.

Reliable scorer?

2002-2003 season: 73 GP, 46 points, -11

2003-2004 season: 69 GP, 31 points, -10

Sub-50 point seasons are far below what a reliable scorer would put up. And that is just over half a point a game. In addition, his offense (or lack there of) does not come close to redeeming his poor play in the defensive zone. He was last on the team in +/- last season, and 2nd worse two years ago.

Yanic had one good year in a Habs jersey, and that was because Koivu was out, so he had the spotlight. Once Koivu came back, Yanic's play dropped dramatically. He regressed into a lazy player who didn't show up most of the time.

(By the way, both Koivu and Zednik has more points than Yanic the last two seasons, and 6 players had more points than Yanic this last season.)

2001-2002:

Yanic Perreault: 56 points. 27 goals.

Most goals, most assists, most powerplay goals, most gamewinners, most even strenght goals, most game tiers and best faceoff stats in the whole leauge.

The team made the playoffs...

2002-2003:

Only Richard Zednik had more goals in the regular season. Zednik had 7 more games.

On the powerplay once again only Zednik put up bigger numbers than Yanic. Same things go for even strenght goals but Perreault scored more gamewinners than Zednik. And once again we had the best faceoffer in the leauge.

Perreault didn't have a great season and the team missed the playoffs.

2003-2004:

Canadiens had a really good season. Michael Ryder and Mike Ribeiro had a huge impact on the team and Perreault had to stay back. He was out in the cold from times to time and still he was fifth in scoring after the regular season in which he only played in 69 games. More points than Jan Bulis and two more "-" in the +/- statistics. Once again best in the faceoff statistics.

The team made the playoffs mainy because of Ryder Ribeiro and Koivu.

Hockey is a team sport and I cant understand why people dont understand that Perreault did some great things for this team during the days when things wheren't that bright. He still has value to us and I would love having him pack as an offensive force on a defensive third line with Sundström and Bulis.

Hockey being a team sport is the reason Yanic no longer fit in on this team. He was a guy who when he wasn't in the spotlight (like in 2001-2002 when he was the top C) he simply did not show up most nights. He was a complete liability in the defensive zone. Everyone who watched the games constantly noted that he didn't seem to be giving his all. Guys who don't give 100% every night better be putter up big numbers if they are gonna get away with it.

I am not denying Yanic did some good things in his days as a habs. The team likely would not have made the playoffs in 2002 without him. In the last two years, however, both his numbers and his effort dropped dramatically. He wasn't getting scratched simply because he wasn't scoring, it was because his overall game just wasn't there every night.

Yanic is a centerman who has no business being on the 3rd/4th line. As a purely offensive player, his only fit would be on the top 2 lines. On those top two lines, we already have Koivu, Zednik, Ryder, and Ribeiro. Add in Kovalev, who I think they will be able to resign under a new CBA and there is only one spot left. This last spot will go to Dagenais for the time being IMO. Like Yanic, he has been known to not show up every night, but in the offseason he appeared to show good work ethic and the desire to improve. He also scored more than Yanic last season, and comes much cheaper. Alex Perezhogin may also take that 6th spot, or maybe even Tomas Plekanec.

As you can see, there just isn't room for Yanic on the Habs in this point in time. His faceoffs will be missed, but we can live without them.

The first part of your post is fact. I can't argue about it.

Perreault was a healthy scratch because we had better options. The reason for that was that Perreault is not and probably will never be very good at the defensive aspect of the game. Just like you say.

But in the second part of your post you're claiming that Perreault will never fit on a third or fourth line and that is just your opinion on how a team should be constructed. We both agree that Canadiens has better options for all the six spots on the two scoring lines. Ribeiro and Koivu are both better choices for centers on the top two lines and the only thing Perreault does better is taking faceoffs.

But they way I see it Perreault could be the center of a third line. From the day Niklas Sundström was aquired I fancied a third line with Sundström Perreault and a defensive minded winger. As a huge fan of Sundström I think that we haven't seen the best from him in a Habs jersey and I can't stop thinking of the days when Sundström played with Gretzky.

Another reason for keeping Perreault is the fact that he is valuable in powerplay. He can take the faceoffs and then move out to the wing.

And there will always be injuries. In ten years Saku Koivu has played ONE whole season... Break up all the line and have Ribs on the first or just move Perreault and make a replacement on the third? Yes. As I see it.

And finaly Perreault is one of the players that would accept lesser money just to play for his favourite team. And to me that means a lot. Especially in theese lockout days.

I'm neither a Perrault hater or supporter but I can't see him in a Habs uni next year. Koivu, Ribs, Bonk [we all forget about him], and Begin [Dowd possibly?] make the top 4 spots at centre. Not to mention the guys that will challenge for a roster spot in the fall like Higgins is expected to. Just my opinion but he would look good on the Wild....but would he be able to fit in with thier style?

Habitforming beat me to it, but as he said, we already have Bonk as the center on the third line. That bumps Yanic down to the 4th line, which is the grind line, so Yanic would not fit there either.

As I see it, the only thing he brings to the team that nobody else does is faceoffs, and I don't think he's worth keeping just for draws.

Originally posted by Habitforming

[we all forget about him]

Very, very true. Maybe because we haven't seen him in a Habs jersey yet.

Maybe even I have to realize that Perreault's time as a habs must come to end. Even if it's hard.

But this discussion was not about Habs line-up for the next year. My point was that Perreault is not a bad hockey player and that european clubs has not signed him is not because of this.

He's not Maurice Richard, very few are, I just think that he deserve some credits for what he has done for this team.

I don't know if it is that simple. Do you honestly think that a pro athlete just one day decides not to do his best?

Sometimes things are going well and sometime players has to work uphill. Perreault may have had better days but when you said that, and Im quoting, "I doubt even the Europeans would want that floater." I took is as you where saying that Perreault has a bad attitude and that's the reason for him not beeing signed with a european club.

This may be true but I think European clubs has signed floater all the time. Brian McCabe was put on the bench in HV71 because he wasn't good enough. McCabe packed his stuff the very same day and took a flight to Toronto and said: "Im a NHL-star! I won't accept beeing a healthy scratch"

Hey ch-nl, if it wasn't for the shipping cost, I'd send you my signed Yanic Perreault hockey-stick from his last junior year when he scored 185 pts in 67 games. I never saw someone support that much Yanic. :/)

I like him, but if I had the choice, I would rather keep Sundstrom who - and I agree with you - is far to much underestimated. Sundstrom would have a bigger role on the 3rd line than Yanic would. Sunny is reliable defensively, is always constent, has tremendous stickhandling/puck control, wins his 1-1 battle, his often on the good spot. Yanic has a way better shot and is great on faceoff, period.

Yanic's place is on the 1st and 2nd line. However, there's no place on a 1st-2nd unit for him in the NHL in 2005-2006. He should have try to sign with an Europe team. I don't understand why he didn't went there. I'm disapointed for him. He can still have 5-6 seasons of profesionnal hockey and earn a pretty good remuneration. It's his decision I guess. He probably have enough money right now. If I had few millions in bank and a family to care about, dunno what I would do in his situation.

[Edited on 2005-2-26 by sakiqc]

Originally posted by ch_nl

I don't know if it is that simple. Do you honestly think that a pro athlete just one day decides not to do his best?

Yes, absolutely I do. Guys like Randy Moss have admitted that they don't give it their all every game. Some guys just don't have the mentality that they need to play hard every night in order to help the team win.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...