NBA Draft discussion/pool

dlbalr

The 2005 NBA Draft will be held at MSG in New York on Tuesday, June 28th. We'll make this thread for any discussion about the draft (for the few NBA fans on the board), as well as a pool, for those who just want to have some fun and make a mock draft.

Pool details

The site in which you will create your mock is known as realgm.com, arguably the most comprehensive basketball site on the web. They have a draft simulator for the lottery picks (1-14), full first round (1-30), and full draft (1-60). To make things easy, we'll just do the lottery picks. *No registration is necessary.

Instructions

Click on the link below and it will take you to the simulator page. Click on Lottery Picks Only, and then next. You will then be shown the draft order, then click next. Then, you get to begin your draft. The site helps out giving team needs, and the player dropbar ranks the players fairly well. Upon completion, you can either post your picks in this thread, or state your draft ID number, which you will receive after you complete your draft. Note: You cannot edit your picks at any time, as soon as you make it, it's locked. If you want to change a pick, you must re-do the entire draft.

Simulator: http://www2.realgm.com/src_draftsim/1/

To help those out who just want to have some fun, but have no real clue about any players, here are a few mock drafts. These will help you, trust me.

http://www.nbadraft.net/index.asp

http://www.draftexpress.com/mock.php?y=2005

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/feature.asp?fid=10369

http://probasketball.about.com/od/nbadraft...mockdraft_a.htm

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/Draft/mockdraft.htm

Scoring

1 point for correct picks 1-3

2 points for correct picks 4-7

3 points for correct picks 8-11

4 points for correct picks 12-14

*No message edits for pool entries can occur after the 27th, (shows as 28th, internal website error) but you can enter up until the draft begins (around 7 PM EST).

Good luck with your entries, it just feels great to be talking about some sort of draft. Don't worry guys, the best draft of all will be happening sometime, but not Saturday as expected.

[Edited on 2005/6/28 by dlbalr]

1) Milwaukee - Andrew Bogut ©

2) Atlanta - Marvin Williams Jr. (SF)

3) Utah - Deron Williams (PG)

4) New Orleans - Chris Paul (PG)

5) Charlotte - Raymond Felton (PG)

6) Portland - Gerald Green (SG)

7) Toronto - Danny Granger (SF)

8) New York - Channing Frye ©

9) Golden State - Fran Vazquez ©

10) LA Lakers - Ike Diogu (PF)

11) Orlando - Joey Graham (SF)

12) LA Clippers - Yaroslav Korolev (SF)

13) Charlotte - Hakim Warrick (PF)

14) Minnesota - Martell Webster (SG)

http://www.realgm.com/src_checkdraft.php?d...?draftid=120452

(I opted to do a full 30-sim, so if you want to see the rest of my picks not pertaining to the pool, click on that link.)

The link above is mostly correct based on my earlier picks, now changed based on the UTAH/POR trade.

[Edited on 2005/6/28 by dlbalr]

This is a good idea but I have a feeling a few of the top 10 picks will change hands. So using the current draft positions, based on the teams most urgent needs and most logical pick, my top 10:

1. Milwaukee - Andrew Bogut, C

2. Atlanta - Marvin Williams, SF

3. Utah - Deron Williams, PG

4. New Orleans - Chris Paul, PG

5. Charlotte - Gerald Green, SF

6. Portland - Martell Webster, SG/SF

7. Toronto - Danny Granger, SF

8. New York - Channing Frye, C

9. Oakland - Charlie Villanueva, PF

10. Lakers - Raymond Felton, PG

[Edited on 2005/6/28 by Leafs Suck]

Thanks for the entry, I knew I could count on you...by the way, you didn't need the 15 and 16 picks.

I think some of the picks will change hands, reportedly Charlotte's offering 5 and 13 for #2, if Felton's on the board at 5, which he should be. Can't see him falling to 10, someone snatches him before then.

Lakers are trying hard to get #3 and Green, Raps reportedly interested in moving up as well.

Right now, I have Ukic at 16 for the Raps, as they need a PG, and there aren't going to be many left come the second round. I'm hoping Stoudamire's available at 41, and, although I don't want it to happen, I have the Raps taking Mendez at 58, UNLESS they swing the reported deal for Magloire, and then they wouldn't pick the Canadian boy.

According to realgm.com (which I find to be one of the better NBA-source sites around), Utah and Portland are close on a deal that would see the Jazz end up with the 3rd pick.

I think the Raps could get Maglore in a deal without giving up the 7th pick... The Horns want MoPete, the Raps have the 16th pick and maybe another... that should be enough IMO... Magloire is exactly what Toronto needs... What he could do on and off the court is limitless... I think the Raps could come away from this draft as the big winner...

However, the key word their is COULD.

Babcock dropped the ball big time last year and needs to make a HUGE impact, IMO, tomorrow.

At this time, the Raps cannot trade Peterson to New Orleans because Toronto matched his offer sheet with the Hornets last offseason. Toronto must now wait at least 1 year before trading him there, which is late July.

I cannot see NO doing this without the #7, even though it's a deep draft, you're not really getting an impact player, which is what the Hornets want.

My prediction if it happens:

Mags for #7, Den '06, and one of the Williams most likely. Then, come July, don't be surprised to see Peterson be dealt to the Hornets in a secondary swap. Honestly though, can't see it happening.

Jazz just aqauired the 3rd pick... It sounds like they will take Deron Williams... Babcock should try and trade up a pick or two... It woulnd't cost that much... Chris Paul would be a HUGE pick up...

However I doubt he will. Paul and Green should be gone at #7.

So if Granger is their, pick up.

If he's gone, pick Felton.

If he's gone, pick Webster.

If he's gone, pick Frye.

[Edited on 2005/6/28 by Leafs Suck]

Interesting, 3 for 6, 27, and Detroit's '06 pick, not involving Patterson or Giricek though. This changes everything, although Portland still takes Green at 6.

PS: You need to put your 11-14 picks back in for the pool...

N/M, he just went to the Celtics at 18... But still, look at the mock drafts. He was as high as 3.

Not to mention the Raptors passed over him TWICE!!!!!!

Babcock is a fool... How much longer is he gonna be employeed?

I like what the Bobcats have done. Felton and May. Not to mention they have Okafor. That team is gonna be sick in about 2 or 3 years.

[Edited on 2005/6/29 by Leafs Suck]

Charlie Villanueva is an AWFUL pick. The guy has done nothing in college to prove himself worthy of a lottery pick. I mean, the guy barely averaged double digit points this year. I can't even say he's going to be a bust, because he's not good enough to be a bust.

<i>Poor Gerald Green. He's the Daniel Cleary of the NBA. Projected to go in the top 5, falls way way down. </i>

Or the Aaron Rodgers, to use a more recent example.

I don't know anything about the NBA draft, but Babcock is an idiot.

Yay he is, he has been the GM for over a year and has yet to make a really smart move.

-Drafts Araujo, who was projected to go in the 2nd round.

-Signs Alston for a HUGE amount of money.

-Trades the franchise player for NOTHING

-Allows Zo to walk all over him and the organzation

-Refuses to trade Donyell Marshall, he is an upcoming free agent, because he still felt the Raps had a shot at the playoffs.

-Drafts a guy who some felt wasn't even a lottery pick. Should have picked Granger or Green. Even a blind monkey high on PCP would have known that.

That being said, Graham is a decent pick. However, I think in 3-5 years we'll look back and Granger and Green will be way better then him.

I know what Babcock is trying to do, but he failed miserably again. I mean this guy is a less-skilled version of Chris Bosh. Way too small to play the 5, too big for the 3, so he has to be a 4 which is where Bosh plays. So why waste such a high draft pick on a position you already are strong at? It makes no sense,

[Edited on 2005/6/29 by Leafs Suck]

First, let me state the obvious, Villanueva at #7...too high. That being said, I'm not too upset with the pick overall, since we got Graham at 16, who many thought would get taken around 7. If the picks were reversed (Graham 7, CV 16), I don't think many would be complaining.

I cannot believe for the life of me that Roko Ukic slipped to 41, I am simply ecstatic about that pick. For those who bothered to check out my mock, I had him at 16, I, and many others, felt that he was a surefire 1st rounder.

Personally, I'm glad Toronto didn't draft Mendez, if the kid has been telling the truth about how he wants to play for Canada's team, he'll accept the offer to the 2 Summer Leagues next month, and if he's any good, he'll sign from there. I know nothing about Slokar, but what surprises me is that management thinks he could actually make the team this season, rather than stating that they'll keep him in Italy. Longshot at best, but intriguing nonetheless.

Now, some other thoughts...

- Something happened yesterday morning that caused so many consensus top-10 picks to slip. By this, I mean Graham, Granger, Green, and Wright, all either play the 2 or 3. Granger has knee concerns, and Green's going to be a headcase, but the other 2 were more surprising. This is why I think the Raps, as well as a few teams after them took what one would call risky picks high, figuring the aforementioned players would still be available mid-1st, which is what happened. Boston coach Doc Rivers said during the draft that they all but knew that if Portland took Webster at 6, they'd get Green at 18 for sure. That's a pretty big gamble to take, something was up...

- Taft slipped much further than anyone expected (42-POR), as did Andriuskevicius (ORL). Considering both were consensus top-5 at the beginning of '05, those 2 teams may have got a steal.

- Big winners: Charlotte, Portland

- Big losers: Minnesota, Clippers, + Chicago, Cleveland, and Dallas who had no picks...unfair, yes.

Overall, for the Raptors, a grade of a B, yes, a B. They will have 3 players for sure who crack the 8-9 man rotation next season, CV and Graham are decent picks, would've been better had they been reversed.

On a side note...to Leafs Suck:

You had CV going to Golden State at 9, I'm curious as to why. Is it because he's a big man and that's what they needed, or do you actually feel he was worthy of about a 9-13 selection?

Pool Results:

dlbalr: 14 points (Correct: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 12)

Leafs Suck: 10 points (Correct: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8)