Leetch Traded to Oilers..

puck7x

For Markanen and a conditional pick...

Is it just me or is that a high price to pay for Leetch (who the Oilers only got for the compensation pick once he leaves as a UFA) ... Markenan is a pretty good young goalie...

There is really a bridge between Edmonton and New York.

Sadfully, it's a one-side road

In this case, it looks like a ridiculous payback.. a 2nd round pick for Jussi ? no big deal.. but i thaught the goalie wa ranked higher.. anyways

Originally posted by sakiqc

There is really a bridge between Edmonton and New York.

Sadfully, it's a one-side road

I know... Its seems as though the only that these teams will only trade with each other. They have made as least 4 deals with each other since Sather was hired by NYR , and the Rangers won each deal ...

What a joke...

What kind of pick(s) will the Oilers gets for a player making Leetch's salary?

I'm not sure this is such a bad deal for the Oilers, Markkanen is a backup... Cechmanek went for a 2nd if I recall. They Oilers felt they wanted to bring up Conklin I guess.

As for the Rangers, did they acquire Markkanen to be their backup or do they intend to flip him in another trade?

If they keep him, that would mean Blackburn would be dealt. In a market thirsty for goalies.

Then if they acquire Cujo, they'll also have Dunham to trade... it's so much easier when you have money to burn isn't it?

After reading the article on TSN, Edm had no intention of giving Markkanen a qualifying offer. So the trade makes more sense for Edmonton now.

Thus, the Oilers get a (more than likely) 2nd round pick, essentially for free.

Yeah the Oilers werent going to offer a contract to Markanen so they might aswell trade his rights. I really hope this loophole is straightened out in the new CBA, i know its not a priority but its stupid the way things are going right now. I hate all these deals where teams get second rounders as compensation, like the Fleury and Cujo deals of last year.