Thrashers a real team again?

simonus

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2205889

Just signed Steve Shields. Although not fantastic, he is a real goalie who has started games in the NHL. He's actually only 33 and is playing well in the AHL.

They're not going to be great, but maybe the Thrashers will actually be a real NHL team from now on.

I picked Atlanta to win their division this year. I was also assuming that Kari Lethonen would be healthy. Shields is their 3rd string. Blowing a 4-0 lead to the winless Pens cannot help their confidence.

Right now, call me crazy, by Carolina is the fav to win the Southeast?

I don't think sheilds is the answer but he will be better than the others.

how is lehtonen injured for??

as for the team who'll finish first of the division, I still thinik that we'll tampa bay once again.

Carolina isn't as bad as we all thought before the season started. Staal is a an absolute stud and they quietly signed some guys who can put the puck in the net (Whitney, Stillman, Matt Cullen). Gerber and Ward have been standing on their heads. But that D is atrocious. I can't really take a team seriously if Mike Commodore, Aaron Ward and Niclas Wallin are in their defensive rotation... and Kaberle + Tverdovsky aren't exactly reputed for their defensive zone coverage either.

Atlanta a real NHL team? Blowing a 4-0 lead to Pittsburgh is not a good start. :)

That's correct Mont Royale, Shields is not Atlanta's solution. He's a decent backup but he won't be stealing games for them. The trashers will compete with a healthy Lehtonen.

Originally posted by Tony

They're better off with Michael Burnett (sp?) if you ask me. He might be their 3rd string goalie but I'd rather see the young guy get some NHL experience then let Steve Shields in nets.

I think that is a good team-building strategy, but it will make their team completely irrelevant until (if) Burnett becomes somewhat consistent.

With Shields, they can at least assume that 4+ goals gives them a decent chance to win the game

It might end up being better for Burnett to not get shelled every other night. Letting him play every 3 games or so gives him a chance to recover/reprepare with the goalie coach.

[Edited on 10/28/2005 by simonus]

Pulling a goalie from the AHL can't be, usually, the answer. I'm sure the Thrashers organization know that. I'm sure that, for them, Shields is a temporary fix. I wouldn't be surprised that Shields has a sense of that too.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Originally posted by simonus
Originally posted by Mont Royale

Shields is not going to turn Atlanta into a real team. Consistency is their problem.

consistency is the exact and only thing that shields brings.

Perhaps. He's bounced around alot in the last 5 years, and his stats have steadily deteriorated. But it depends on the team in front of him, of course. You seem to have a lot of faith in him. If it works out, that's great for him and the Thrashers. My comment on consistency was not solely referring to goaltending, though. They'll need consistent and better performances from others to be a 'real' team. Whenever you lose 9-1 to ANYBODY in this league, there's a lot of blame to go around.

i don't have that much faith in him. I think he is a serviceable NHL backup - which is more than can be said for the current level of goalie play that the thrashers have been getting since the injuries.

I don't think the Thrashers are going to suddenly fly up the standings, i just hope that this means that they won't be a throw-away game in the schedule where the only question is how many elbows they will throw as our snipers.